Delisted 15. Matthew Hayball (2016-2018)

Remove this Banner Ad

Menegola came good. He did it the hard way heading back to local footy. Maybe Hayball does that if he gets cut, maybe he fades away. I still hope they've seen something that shows real promise if he matures a little later, and next year is that last chance.

Understand the sentiment though of those disappointed because to my untrained eye he's not come on quick enough to have kept the spot.

I'd be interested to know if Crameri was on base as a rookie or if he is on a bit more.

I don't really care that they picked Crameri as a rookie but I mean if he is not on base and we could have picked two new rookies plus paid Hayball out v. Crameri on $150k or something and having to redraft Hayball because of the cap then I would have went with the two new rookies...

If he were to play, whose position would he take?

Hayball was recruited as a half forward. Good left foot and big leap for a mid size player. He kicked 4 goals in one game and a few in others. He did show off that leap but in a skinny body he couldn't quite nail the marks.
Then he was moved back and was playing that half back role - to utilise his delivery and played a couple of good games but seemed to drift in and out of games too much.

He was really raw. Made good steps but stalled in the last half of last year. One thing I noticed about him in some drills / match simulation I saw at Deakin last year was that he is not shy - very vocal on the field. I think the club like that.

He hangs on by the skin of his teeth. He needs to build the body more and then really get involved (increase possession count) and hang on to the mark in those big leaps if he is to survive.

If he played at AFL level - where? there are about 10 ahead of him in any area but consistent top level work at VFL would see him pressing for a gig from HFF thru to HBF.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The waybill will prove everyone wrong this year or I'll quit the forum.
200.webp

The waybill will prove everyone wrong this year or I'll quit the forum.

After my initial concern, I can now see what you did there.

Given there are a few of us here who actually believe he might still make it, he can't actually 'prove everyone wrong' whichever way this ends.

Frankly I'm relieved to think that you'll still be around here in '19, whatever happens to Matty before then.

#waybillfever
#hardtokill

I live in regional South Australia and one of the young fellas I work with moved down from Roxby Downs a couple of years back. He told me he is mates with Matthew and played footy with him.

For what it's worth, Matthew was a Crows supporter growing up but apparently was stoked that Geelong picked him up. Matthew was quoted as saying that getting picked up by a "good club" is awesome.

Whether the kid makes it or not, who knows? It's probably not looking all that likely, although stranger things have happened. Either way, I just thought it was an interesting tidbit to pass on.

I live in regional South Australia and one of the young fellas I work with moved down from Roxby Downs a couple of years back. He told me he is mates with Matthew and played footy with him.

For what it's worth, Matthew was a Crows supporter growing up but apparently was stoked that Geelong picked him up. Matthew was quoted as saying that getting picked up by a "good club" is awesome.

Whether the kid makes it or not, who knows? It's probably not looking all that likely, although stranger things have happened. Either way, I just thought it was an interesting tidbit to pass on.

I seriously wondered up until just now whether I could feel more goodwill for young Matty. But this is very cool.

So he loved getting picked up by a 'good club'. As opposed to the #feederclub he supported growing up.:D

Given it's the off-season (and they have so much time on their hands), posting this on the Crows board could truly be 'the gift that keeps on giving' long after 2018 has begun.;)

#wefumeasone

I seriously wondered up until just now whether I could feel more goodwill for young Matty. But this is very cool.

So he loved getting picked up by a 'good club'. As opposed to the #feederclub he supported growing up.:D

Given it's the off-season (and they have so much time on their hands), posting this on the Crows board could truly be 'the gift that keeps on giving' long after 2018 has begun.;)

#wefumeasone
Let's not let the facts get in the way of a good story here.

The facts would be that every kid wants to get picked up by the club they barrack for.

The good story is that by virtue of wanting to be drafted by a good club, Matty has forgone his desire to be drafted by Adelaide.

By all reports, he's also happy living in Geelong, as opposed to say Melbourne, given that he's a country boy from a rural mining town.

If footy doesn't work out for him, he'll probably do what most people from that region do; go work in the dirty pits.

There's clearly still people at the club who think he can make it. The idea that the club wanted to delist him but couldn't because he was contracted doesn't make sense because that would've meant he got an extension at some point in his time here. The unanimous call that he's not good enough from posters here reminds me of another SA kid we picked up in Brad Hartman. Hopefully he surprises like Hartman did, but then actually sticks around to fulfill his talent.

Still young, Reasonably good pace, good leap/hands and good by foot - you can understand why the club want to give him a little more time. Don’t worry about his place in “the queue” - if he shows improvement and potential then it would have been worth it, even as possible trade collateral for Sloane.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back