Adelaide Oval - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Never heard anything about plaudits for MCG and Perth.
ANZ and Subiaco were simply very poor designs.
SCG have a hole because they're limited to a capacity of 48k.
A.O. would make a beautiful 60k stadium and IMO more people would appreciate that.

Yes there's a lot of plaudits about the MCG, but there's equally as many people who see it as soulless because it's one big concrete stadium. There's wow factor for Optus Stadium because it's new, but it's an untried and untested ground.

There's no hole at the SCG. The SCG is a hodgepodge of stands - from the heritage (Members/Ladies) to the outdated (O'Reilly/Churchill/Brewongle) to the modern (Trumper/Noble/Bradman).

Could Adelaide Oval be a good 60k stadium? Yes it could. Would it have it's world renowned reputation if it lost it's scoreboard (which BTW is still one of the best and most comprehensive cricket scoreboards in the world) and hill? It would certainly go down a few notches, and it would become just another run of the mill stadium. The northern end pays good homage to Adelaide Oval's heritage, and help maintain Adelaide Oval's reputation, especially in the cricket world.

Never heard anything about plaudits for MCG and Perth.
ANZ and Subiaco were simply very poor designs.
SCG have a hole because they're limited to a capacity of 48k.
A.O. would make a beautiful 60k stadium and IMO more people would appreciate that.
I'd rather they redesigned the western stand, replicate the eastern stand design and you'd get a 60k stadium without touching the north end. its great to have a modern stadium buts its also important to retain its identity and heritage.

Yes there's a lot of plaudits about the MCG, but there's equally as many people who see it as soulless because it's one big concrete stadium. There's wow factor for Optus Stadium because it's new, but it's an untried and untested ground.

There's no hole at the SCG. The SCG is a hodgepodge of stands - from the heritage (Members/Ladies) to the outdated (O'Reilly/Churchill/Brewongle) to the modern (Trumper/Noble/Bradman).

Could Adelaide Oval be a good 60k stadium? Yes it could. Would it have it's world renowned reputation if it lost it's scoreboard (which BTW is still one of the best and most comprehensive cricket scoreboards in the world) and hill? It would certainly go down a few notches, and it would become just another run of the mill stadium. The northern end pays good homage to Adelaide Oval's heritage, and help maintain Adelaide Oval's reputation, especially in the cricket world.

The AO scoreboard and the WACA scoreboards are pretty darn similar just a slightly different layout. The funny thing is you hardly ever hear a thing about the WACA scoreboard, just how great the AO one is. The WACA scoreboard has the total score right at the very bottom in the middle and in some parts of the Prindiville stand you can’t see the score... I prefer the AO layout as it just looks Cleaner and isn’t covered in a new sponsor every couple of years.

The AO scoreboard and the WACA scoreboards are pretty darn similar just a slightly different layout. The funny thing is you hardly ever hear a thing about the WACA scoreboard, just how great the AO one is. The WACA scoreboard has the total score right at the very bottom in the middle and in some parts of the Prindiville stand you can’t see the score... I prefer the AO layout as it just looks Cleaner and isn’t covered in a new sponsor every couple of years.
Is it a question of age? which one is older

I'd rather they redesigned the western stand, replicate the eastern stand design and you'd get a 60k stadium without touching the north end. its great to have a modern stadium buts its also important to retain its identity and heritage.

The heritage remains at the AO, SCG and MCG because they remain at the historical site.
Links can be incorporated into the design or with features - statues, murals, dedicated rooms etc.
Subiaco won an award because the Robert's road section blended into the streetscape.
Subiaco retained the old limestone entrance with turnstyles which will always remain.
There are plenty of options for AO. They could re-site the old scoreboard. They could ring the oval with trees etc.
I used to sit on the grass at SCG. It was nice but I much prefer the new setup except for the spaceship and hole.
They re-sited the old stands at the SCG. I wish they'd done that at Subiaco so that they could be returned now.
If they hadn't built the SFS the SCG could have used one of the old stands as entrance/entertainment area etc.
I couldn't wait for the hill to be developed at Subiaco but they ultimately cheaped out.
For me, heritage isn't just a grassy knoll.

The heritage remains at the AO, SCG and MCG because they remain at the historical site.
Links can be incorporated into the design or with features - statues, murals, dedicated rooms etc. Or the hill, scoreboard, and arches at the back of the Western stands.
Subiaco won an award because the Robert's road section blended into the streetscape.
Subiaco retained the old limestone entrance with turnstyles which will always remain. AO retained the old scoreboard which is heritage listed.
There are plenty of options for AO. They could re-site the old scoreboard. They could ring the oval with trees etc.
I used to sit on the grass at SCG. It was nice but I much prefer the new setup except for the spaceship and hole.
They re-sited the old stands at the SCG. I wish they'd done that at Subiaco so that they could be returned now.
If they hadn't built the SFS the SCG could have used one of the old stands as entrance/entertainment area etc.
I couldn't wait for the hill to be developed at Subiaco but they ultimately cheaped out.
For me, heritage isn't just a grassy knoll. For many Adelaideans, especially cricket fans heritage IS our grassy knoll.
To me it seems you're arguing against your own points :)

Yes there's a lot of plaudits about the MCG, but there's equally as many people who see it as soulless because it's one big concrete stadium.

Never heard people anything but glowing remarks about the MCG.
The MCG is an industry which constantly attracts tourists on tours.

There's no hole at the SCG. The SCG is a hodgepodge of stands

There's a small awkward hole at the SCG where the scoreboard resides
The SCG is a hodgepodge of new stands that are better than the previous arrangement.

Could Adelaide Oval be a good 60k stadium? Yes it could.

Simply relocate the scoreboard and use the same facade on the electronic scoreboard.

AO could've been 60k if they did the members stands the same size they did the Eastern Stand.

Spot on.

Adelaide Oval is one of several AFL grounds with an open end - Spotless and Metricon, and to an extent, GHMBA Stadium just three examples.

Around the world, there are many examples of stadiums with one end having minimal, or no seating:

Heinz Field

HeinzField_Night_Fireworks_CP.jpg

Croke Park

nintchdbpict000016972201-e1485990210958.jpg

Aviva Stadium

Aviva-Stadium_Architect-Populous-and-Scott-Tallon-Walker_Photo-©Donal-Murphy_1839_229Dr-990x465.jpg

Century link field as well. Goes on and on.

centurylink-field-section-321-view.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To me it seems you're arguing against your own points

No. it's just that i didn't think I would have to qualify the obvious.

Links can be incorporated into the design or with features - statues, murals, dedicated rooms etc OUTSIDE OF THE GROUNDS OR NOT IMPINGINGING ON CAPACITY.
Subiaco retained the old limestone entrance with turnstyles which will always remain. OUTSIDE OF THE GROUNDS and NOT IMPINGINGING ON CAPACITY.

I'd like to see those AFL grounds closed in as well, to increase capacity, for aesthetics, extra facilities and reduce wind tunnel effect.
Capacity - a point if capacity is too low
Aesthetics - are LOST if closed in - no more hill, scoreboard, Moreton Bay Figs or cathedral spires. Y'know, all the things that create the good aesthetics at AO (unless the only good aesthetic in your book is a fully-enclosed cirlce)
facilities - bar, toilet and kiosk facilities are all there already
wind tunnel effect - will be replaced by swirly wind effect.

No. it's just that i didn't think I would have to qualify the obvious.

Links can be incorporated into the design or with features - statues, murals, dedicated rooms etc OUTSIDE OF THE GROUNDS OR NOT IMPINGINGING ON CAPACITY.
Subiaco retained the old limestone entrance with turnstyles which will always remain. OUTSIDE OF THE GROUNDS and NOT IMPINGINGING ON CAPACITY.
YOU DIDN'T SAY THAT AND I PREFER NOT TO ASSUME WHAT YOU'RE SAYING.
Also, please don't yell - we're even less likely to pay you any attention if you do.

Funnily enough so does Adelaide Oval....

And yet all the modern stands don't deter people.
Funnily enough the MCG attracts huge numbers without grassy knolls, antiquated scoreboards or English trees.
The MCG has the capacity to attract people.
That's what the WA government aimed for when it built the new stadium
which by-the-way nobody has said anything but wow.
Now, the difference between 50k and 60k capacity might see SA possibly miss out on a lot of the highly prized event tourism.
At least you will be happy sitting on the grass knoll looking at an antiquated scoreboard.

And yet all the modern stands don't deter people.
Funnily enough the MCG attracts huge numbers without grassy knolls, antiquated scoreboards or English trees.
The MCG has the capacity to attract people.
That's what the WA government aimed for when it built the new stadium
which by-the-way nobody has said anything but wow.
Now, the difference between 50k and 60k capacity might see SA possibly miss out on a lot of the highly prized event tourism.
At least you will be happy sitting on the grass knoll looking at an antiquated scoreboard.

But we’re not missing out on tourism, and an extra 6k people isn’t going to make a massive difference.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back