Adelaide Oval - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Now, the difference between 50k and 60k capacity might see SA possibly miss out on a lot of the highly prized event tourism.
At least you will be happy sitting on the grass knoll looking at an antiquated scoreboard.
Do you mean from India-Pakistan World Cup games? Australia World Cup Semi-Finals? Ashes/Border-Gavaskar Tests? Showdowns or AFL Prelim Finals?
Socceroos and Rugby League/Union don't fill the stadium as is.

Well that's just another thing you have strange ideas about.
Modern stadiums like the MCG can and are tourist attractions.
Modern stadiums can have heritage links without impinging on capacity.
I never said the MCG didn't do any of those things.
What attracts people to AO is those things which make it unique and different. Sure the history will remain but people can't see the stand built for the 1956 Olympics anymore - but they can sit on the same hill and look at the same scoreboard that was there when Bradman played.
Different reasons for getting tourists.

Ideally what could happen is the government actually go through with there memorial drive upgrade and at the same time at the end of the 2018 season redesign the western stand. One issue with upgrading a stadium is congestion. Western stand side is very narrow and a nightmare to get out of and will prove a challenge. there are to many factors that will ever allow the northern end built upon. SACA will never allow it, its heritage listed, North Adelaide people will chain themselves to those trees if they have to.

Do you mean from India-Pakistan World Cup games? Australia World Cup Semi-Finals? Ashes/Border-Gavaskar Tests? Showdowns or AFL Prelim Finals? Socceroos and Rugby League/Union don't fill the stadium as is.

Why do you saying stuff I've never said ? Why don't you stick to what I do say ?
I said "Now, the difference between 50k and 60k capacity might see SA possibly miss out on a lot of the highly prized event tourism."
and "Modern stadiums like the MCG can and are tourist attractions.Modern stadiums can have heritage links without impinging on capacity.

Sure the history will remain but people can't see the stand built for the 1956 Olympics anymore (at the MCG).

Yes, so people are obviously going for other reasons.

they can sit on the same hill and look at the same scoreboard that was there when Bradman played.
Different reasons for getting tourists.

They can easily re-locate the scoreboard. Not a problem. Even build a grassy knoll.. plant a few trees... even have beer cans strewn everywhere.
Why not build an interactive display with yobbos running rampart.

"Now, the difference between 50k and 60k capacity might see SA possibly miss out on a lot of the highly prized event tourism."

Except it hasn’t.

Adelaide Oval got some big World Cup matches (India v Pakistan, Australia v Pakistan QF), and isn’t under any threat from missing out on an upcoming Indian test match (which the Gabba, which fits your idea of a perfect stadium, is facing).

Adelaide Oval doesn’t seem to be missing out at all.

LOL, really loud.

Tell me how the scoreboard is antiquated.

And yet all the modern stands don't deter people.
Funnily enough the MCG attracts huge numbers without grassy knolls, antiquated scoreboards or English trees.
The MCG has the capacity to attract people.
That's what the WA government aimed for when it built the new stadium
which by-the-way nobody has said anything but wow.
Now, the difference between 50k and 60k capacity might see SA possibly miss out on a lot of the highly prized event tourism.
At least you will be happy sitting on the grass knoll looking at an antiquated scoreboard.
you're missing one very important thing - no one wants to goto WA

(Log in to remove this ad.)

you're missing one very important thing - no one wants to goto WA

Read what I say FFS.
"That's what the WA government aimed for when it built the new stadium"
It's what the government aimed for.
And FYI, everybody wants to come to WA. It's all a question of pricing.
SA is a lot closer and a lot cheaper to get to for most Australians yet SA doesn't seem to target this sports event tourism.
Maybe you're right and nobody wants to come to SA either.
IMO SA have a better chance than WA at sport's event tourism if they put their heart into it.

Except it hasn’t.

"Now, the difference between 50k and 60k capacity might see SA possibly miss out on a lot of the highly prized event tourism."

You miss out on the highly prized event tourism because the stadium is full of locals.
You miss out on the highly prized event tourism because the stadium hasn't the capacity for tourists.

Tell me how the scoreboard is antiquated.

LOL Start at state-of-the-art and go backwards to you arrive at rudimentary manual scoreboards. LOL
If it aint antiquated what's the attraction ?
The Perth Stadium screen is supposed to be the biggest in Australia.
I know what i like best - the big screen.

LOL Start at state-of-the-art and go backwards to you arrive at rudimentary manual scoreboards. LOL
If it aint antiquated what's the attraction ?
The Perth Stadium screen is supposed to be the biggest in Australia.
I know what i like best - the big screen.
The attraction is history, and the fact that, unlike digital screens which serve more than one master (the score, replays, advertising) at every point the score is there. The whole innings is there. Where else can you get that? WACA and Manuka, with mechanical scoreboards. This also makes them a little better than "rudimentary". Adelaide Oval also has one of the largest screen in the country right next to it to supplement.

Really though there are two opinions going on here, and both are fair. It's just a shame that one person feels theirs is so right they can't accept the alternate view as legitimate as well, or respect its proponents enough to have a civilized discussion, instead resorting to typing in caps and lauging at their opinions. Clearly you have different priorities for what you want in a modern sports venue and that's fine. I'm getting a little sick of the way I've seen you treat other posters, both on this thread and others. It gets to a point where we don't want to participate because we just get stomped on. And then you'll be "discussing" this with yourself. But hey at least then nobody will have a different opinion :p

Read what I say FFS.
"That's what the WA government aimed for when it built the new stadium"
It's what the government aimed for.
And FYI, everybody wants to come to WA. It's all a question of pricing.
SA is a lot closer and a lot cheaper to get to for most Australians yet SA doesn't seem to target this sports event tourism.
Maybe you're right and nobody wants to come to SA either.
IMO SA have a better chance than WA at sport's event tourism if they put their heart into it.

When you put a billion into a stadium you have more a need to cover its costs, than you do a stadium upgraded for half the price. SA gets what it needs for the most part.

RedVx3 has no real idea. Its the same in the Perth Stadium thread.
There are a number of stadiums with open ends. NFL Stadiums among them.

AO may not be perfect but its damn close (the western stand probably needs some work on its facilities) Its modern, has a bunch of character, has a huge nod to to its past, looks great etc. Its a good size, probably close to perfect for Adelaide. I get the impression RedVx3 would knock down the Members and Ladies stands at the SCG because they are old.

Most new build MLB stadiums follow a path laid out by Camden Yards in Baltimore which went back in to a traditional design with all the modern amenities rather than the all encompassing designs that were prevalent.

Not all stadiums need to be a closed bowl. In fact many arent, and many of those that aren’t bowls are iconic. Adelaide is one of the iconic ones because of the juxtaposition between the history and modernity.

When you put a billion into a stadium you have more a need to cover its costs, than you do a stadium upgraded for half the price. SA gets what it needs for the most part.

Agreed, but with the extra capacity SA could better attract the interstate tourist
which is definitely a hot topic with NSW talking about a $2billion spend
justified by the NSW government for sports event tourism.

The attraction is history, and the fact that, unlike digital screens which serve more than one master (the score, replays, advertising) at every point the score is there. The whole innings is there. Where else can you get that?

Errr, don't you know that you can put up anything on a digital screen ?
You can have the best of both worlds with a screen set up as a digital snapshot of the old rudimentary board.
Then you could switch to a replay screen and other information when needed.

I'm getting a little sick of the way I've seen you treat other posters,

I'm more than a little amused that you can see that cannot see the old board as "rudimentary".
I suppose you are saying it's not rudimentary in the sense that it serves the traditional service well.
Most people would say the board is rudimentary in a technical sense because it's at the dinosaur level of technology.
I'm more than a little tired that you cannot see other people's view as valid just because it doesn't align with your view.
I'm more than a little tired that you have to make up stuff like the MCG being soul-less.
I agree with cricket stuffs that they like grassy knoll boutique-style stadium.
heck, if you're in the sun all day you want to lie down or have some respite.
But if you want a really good top-class, all-purpose stadium, state-of-the art, the type that will attract event tourism
then you cannot have it both ways. I have suggested possible ways to compromise, to retain culture etc
but you're not interested in any compromise.
You are obviously used to the rudimentary board but I prefer a digital screen any day.
The digital screen gives a picture of the player and a wealth of statistics not possible on you rudimentary board.

Errr, don't you know that you can put up anything on a digital screen ?
You can have the best of both worlds with a screen set up as a digital snapshot of the old rudimentary board.
Then you could switch to a replay screen and other information when needed.

I'm more than a little amused that you can see that cannot see the old board as "rudimentary".
I suppose you are saying it's not rudimentary in the sense that it serves the traditional service well.
Most people would say the board is rudimentary in a technical sense because it's at the dinosaur level of technology.
I'm more than a little tired that you cannot see other people's view as valid just because it doesn't align with your view.
I'm more than a little tired that you have to make up stuff like the MCG being soul-less. That was an example of what some people say.
I agree with cricket stuffs that they like grassy knoll boutique-style stadium.
heck, if you're in the sun all day you want to lie down or have some respite.
But if you want a really good top-class, all-purpose stadium, state-of-the art, the type that will attract event tourism which we get
then you cannot have it both ways. I have suggested possible ways to compromise, to retain culture etc
but you're not interested in any compromise. We have our compromise. Massive stands, and then the hill/scoreboard.
You are obviously used to the rudimentary board but I prefer a digital screen any day.
The digital screen gives a picture of the player and a wealth of statistics not possible on you rudimentary board.
74a.png

AO may not be perfect but its damn CLOSE [?] (the western stand probably needs some work on its facilities)
Disagree. Its capacity of c.54,000 for AF is far too low.

The 1965 SANFL GF at AO had a crowd of 62,543. The 1976 GF at Football Park had 66,897 (both stadia had far more standing room then). Adelaide's population has increased by c. 60% since the mid 60's -but it has reduced AO capacity!
In the 70's Football Park was originally intended to have a capacity of c. 80,000!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_Park

A big crowd of c.70,000 (for Adelaide, probably c.70,000 minimum would be ideal now) provides better atmosphere than a crowd of c.52,000.
Adelaide needs a culture of people deciding, at very short notice, to go to the football (as exists in Melb.) -this will easily increase average AFL crowds in Adelaide.
With a bigger capacity, ticket prices can be kept low for GA ,as they are in Melb. (IMO, AF is primarily a working class game -we must keep GA attendance costs as low as possible).

I would prefer the increase to 70,000 to be mainly standing room. It is cheaper to build, easier to fit many more people into a smaller space, & considerably adds to the atmosphere at AFL games (Fans become more noisy/animated when packed in, cf. "sterile" seated areas).

It is a very easy drive (with friends sharing the drive) to AO from Melb. to watch a game; stop-offs along the coast, a very enjoyable 4 day holiday (inc. Barossa). For tourists, Adelaide's AFL "Point Of Difference" could/would be a much bigger "packed, standing room ol'time footy" experience than currently offered by the AO hill. Adelaide is not capitalising as well as it should on Melb. football tourism.

IMO, the scoreboard & looking at the trees at AO has little appeal for interstate tourists -but I appreciate it might have sentimental importance for locals.
The range of contrasting Stands at AO also add greatly to its visual & aesthetic appeal -cf. the boring, "cookie-cutter" sameness of most new stadia in Aust. (& around the world).

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back