Analysis 2017 List Management Discussion - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
At the end of the day I'm just hoping that the loss of a large amount of top end talent condensed into two players is equalled or beaten by an improvement across the bottom half of the list through increased experience and an introduction of some new young talent.

There's no reason why it can't happen. I'm certainly not suggesting finals or anything crazy but I think I'll be disappointed if we go backwards. I'd like us to finish one or two places higher on the ladder, hopefully remove the blowout games from season 2018 (no more PTA, GEE or SYD rd 23), maybe pinch an extra 2 to 4 wins.

An extra uninterrupted *touch wood* preseason into the younger guys Cripps, Charlie, Samo, Fisher, Willo, Pickett, Plow, Marchbank, Weitbot, Cuningham, Byrne, Jack, McKay, kerr, Polson, LeBois

The introduction of Kennedy, Lang, Garlett, Dow, O'Brien, Shaw, O'Shea, Mullett, Schumacher, Lobbe, TDK, and McDaid replacing and in nearly every case an improvement on Gibbs, Armfield, Boekhorst, Buckley, Gorringe, Jaksch, Palmer, Smedts, Sumner, White, Gallucci, Sheehan and Korcheck.

Murph should be feeling confident coming off his best season in a while. Old Man Simpson will be feeling young and sprightly after his international rules performances. Liam Jones will probably tear into this preseason like never before after his career resurrection. MK-Ultra should be feeling buoyant on making the AA squad and largely being injury free for the last 2 years.

Ed will work his ass off when fit, like he always does. Guys who've been in the system for a while like Wright, Casboult, ASOS, Thomas, Rowe, Kerridge, Graham, Lamb and Phillips are going to have to really push themselves to either maintain their positions or try and get selected. I imagine O'Shea, Mullett, Shaw and Lobbe will believe they have something to prove and try and go the extra mile.

It all should add up to a pretty good environment for growth and improvement. There's frequent references to Bolton telling players to back themselves and play to their strengths and it appears to be generating a good deal of confidence amongst the group.

Yeah, Gibbs and Doc are about the two biggest outs we can imagine, but I'm backing club's ability to cover them across the 22. And then some.

I think Kennedy needs to make a jump fitness-wise, and while he'll have all of the pre-season comp to prove himself, I'm yet to be convinced that he's a certain starter for round 1.

Lang, on the other hand, is fit and slots straight in.
As I understand Kennedy and Dow are both behind in the fitness/rehab stakes. Neither would be round 1 certainties.
All good for "the long game". We have 35 players with strong claims for round 1 (not including back up rucks).

Our structures and preferred players will be fascinating to see.

We lost 8 times after leading at the 10 minute mark of the final quarter.

Sorry J, that doesn’t look right, based on what I reviewed last night?

6 losses occurred after we were leading at some stage in the final quarter. Definitely not all around the 10 minute mark.

Happy to be proven wrong but I went through it line by line

Sorry J, that doesn’t look right, based on what I reviewed last night?

6 losses occurred after we were leading at some stage in the final quarter. Definitely not all around the 10 minute mark.

Happy to be proven wrong but I went through it line by line
https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjI3u667fbXAhWLlJQKHUlQAMIQFggpMAA&url=http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/carlton/carlton-end-of-season-review-how-id-fix-the-blues/news-story/e25b35e4cc7222eff22948e00fb68d4f&usg=AOvVaw38ASyRVlmJ1-wSnsiVL2Ad

THE SOLUTION

Close out more games. Eight times they lost after leading at the 10 minute mark of the last quarter, and in terms of quarters won were competitive with teams around the eight.

Was also mentioned by Bolton in his speech for the B&F.

EDIT: I've had a look, and you're right that it's just the six: both Melbourne fixtures, and the losses to North, Essendon, Adelaide and St Kilda.

Outside of that, West Coast and Brisbane padded their margins late in the game.

Last edited:
https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjI3u667fbXAhWLlJQKHUlQAMIQFggpMAA&url=http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/carlton/carlton-end-of-season-review-how-id-fix-the-blues/news-story/e25b35e4cc7222eff22948e00fb68d4f&usg=AOvVaw38ASyRVlmJ1-wSnsiVL2Ad

EDIT: I've had a look, and you're right that it's just the six: both Melbourne fixtures, and the losses to North, Essendon, Adelaide and St Kilda.

Yeah, ******* herald sun... classic “no evidence” pseudo-journalism as usual.

Anyhow, with 6 more under our belt (or more realistically, even just half of those, at 3 more wins for a total of 10), the W/L column starts to look a lot more respectable.

We can do it.

We are Carlton.

... you know the rest

Its not about wins and losses, its about how we play.

There are no internal expectations on Bolton. The club know where we're at. Next year is a development year. Nothing more and nothing less.

I agree that next year like this year are development years. Developing means getting better as players and as a team.

If our club is improving like I think it is then we should be improving in the wins column too. Whilst player/team development is first and foremost, winning is a by product of this development.

I’m not fussed where we finish, it’s just a number on a ladder but we must show improvement. If we improve on last year then we should win more games.

The club and Brendan has stated many times they we are a club in a hurry and that we want to win. I find your comment about there being no internal expectations as being a little odd. Of course the club has expectations of the coach, if he doesn’t teach them then they will ask questions.

For me, he has been nothing but fantastic.

At the end of the day I'm just hoping that the loss of a large amount of top end talent condensed into two players is equalled or beaten by an improvement across the bottom half of the list through increased experience and an introduction of some new young talent.

There's no reason why it can't happen. I'm certainly not suggesting finals or anything crazy but I think I'll be disappointed if we go backwards. I'd like us to finish one or two places higher on the ladder, hopefully remove the blowout games from season 2018 (no more PTA, GEE or SYD rd 23), maybe pinch an extra 2 to 4 wins.

An extra uninterrupted *touch wood* preseason into the younger guys Cripps, Charlie, Samo, Fisher, Willo, Pickett, Plow, Marchbank, Weitbot, Cuningham, Byrne, Jack, McKay, kerr, Polson, LeBois

The introduction of Kennedy, Lang, Garlett, Dow, O'Brien, Shaw, O'Shea, Mullett, Schumacher, Lobbe, TDK, and McDaid replacing and in nearly every case an improvement on Gibbs, Armfield, Boekhorst, Buckley, Gorringe, Jaksch, Palmer, Smedts, Sumner, White, Gallucci, Sheehan and Korcheck.

Murph should be feeling confident coming off his best season in a while. Old Man Simpson will be feeling young and sprightly after his international rules performances. Liam Jones will probably tear into this preseason like never before after his career resurrection. MK-Ultra should be feeling buoyant on making the AA squad and largely being injury free for the last 2 years.

Ed will work his ass off when fit, like he always does. Guys who've been in the system for a while like Wright, Casboult, ASOS, Thomas, Rowe, Kerridge, Graham, Lamb and Phillips are going to have to really push themselves to either maintain their positions or try and get selected. I imagine O'Shea, Mullett, Shaw and Lobbe will believe they have something to prove and try and go the extra mile.

It all should add up to a pretty good environment for growth and improvement. There's frequent references to Bolton telling players to back themselves and play to their strengths and it appears to be generating a good deal of confidence amongst the group.

Yeah, Gibbs and Doc are about the two biggest outs we can imagine, but I'm backing club's ability to cover them across the 22. And then some.

Good summary and I agree with most of it.

I see next season as a bit of transition and it makes it hard to judge wins. Murphy Gibbs Kruezer Docherty all had as good years as they possibly could and Gibbs & Doc won't be there next season. 2018 will be about how quickly the younger players (years 2&3) can step up and take over. Cripps having a full year will help.

Real key for me is how quickly Charlie SPS Cuningham Pickett Kennedy can step up and really run the midfield. That will have a major influence on our results in 2018.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It wasn't the hitouts I'm referring to; if it was, Kruez'd be pretty close to the worst main ruckman in the comp. No, I'm referring to the stuff he's good at; tackling, contested ball, being able to behave like a hybrid tall and inside midfielder, the things that set him apart from a regular ruckman.

Right now, we've a set of inside mids in Cripps, Kennedy and Curnow, with in/out mids in Murphy, SPS, Cuningham, plus a whole heap of outside support and pinch hitters; why are we using a ruckman to do what midfielders should be doing anyway? Kruezer is the difference between being a good side and a great one, not a poor to a good one; the contests he influences are more pivotal when you're needing an edge.

For me, it's not about Kreuze not being valuable, it's about his input hiding the inadequacy of others in the middle. With the spread of people that can now go through the middle, if we can't cover 16-24 possessions and 6 tackles at maximum we're in a hell of a lot of trouble.

Yes but you did say we have Lobbe and Philips and missing MK wouldn't have a significant impact.

While it's true we have backup stocks, they will do fa else apart from being a serviceable ruckman and therefore if we do lose MK it will have a significant impact imo.

Yes but you did say we have Lobbe and Philips and missing MK wouldn't have a significant impact.

While it's true we have backup stocks, they will do fa else apart from being a serviceable ruckman and therefore if we do lose MK it will have a significant impact imo.
I did, but again, I would rather have Kruez's efforts being cream - and matchwinning - rather than essential parts of our gameplan. We now have such a spread of players that can go through the middle surely that in his absence we can cover his numbers if not his impact.

I also think you're underselling both Lobbe and Phillips a bit here. At AFL level, we've gotten away with Kruez not being a great tap ruckman due to his influence around the ball, but both Lobbe and Phillips are pretty good at hitting to advantage. Both are handy marks, and good shots at goal.

While Kruez's absence would be significant, it wouldn't/shouldn't be the fatal blow Cripps injury was this year.

Well that's torn it!!

Still, good sides find a way so there's something to be optimistic about.

I did, but again, I would rather have Kruez's efforts being cream - and matchwinning - rather than essential parts of our gameplan. We now have such a spread of players that can go through the middle surely that in his absence we can cover his numbers if not his impact.

I also think you're underselling both Lobbe and Phillips a bit here. At AFL level, we've gotten away with Kruez not being a great tap ruckman due to his influence around the ball, but both Lobbe and Phillips are pretty good at hitting to advantage. Both are handy marks, and good shots at goal.

While Kruez's absence would be significant, it wouldn't/shouldn't be the fatal blow Cripps injury was this year.
Port adelaide

I tried that - but the Captain was already in it.

He wouldn't let me in - something about keeping a spot for his girlfriend.........
If there wasn't a scarf and beanie on the seat it's there for the taking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back