Smart/Fitness watchers and trackers - Your choice?

Remove this Banner Ad

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
So I am having an extremely hard time choosing my fitness/smart watch. I have always used Garmin but recently my 4 year old forerunner died so now I'm in the market for a complete sports watch.

I want to track -

* Activity level
* heart rate
* calories burned
* GPS runs
* graphical data via web/app
* decent sleep tracking
* sedetiary alerts
* goal alerts

I am tossing up between the Garmin Vivofit HR, Fitbit surge and have even looked at the apple smart watch.

What are you wearing ? What do you suggest?

I've got one of those new fitbit blazes, but it doesn't have GPS tracking unless you carry your phone with you so it's a bit awkward for that. I'm not a runner so it doesn't bother me.

It's the first fitness watch I've ever had and mainly I just like tracking my sleep and heart rate throughout the day, but I especially love the silent alarms. So much nicer to wake up to and I don't think I can go back to normal jarring audio alarms now I'm used to it.

I just wish you could turn the bluetooth off until you're ready to sync with your phone each day. Ideally I'd prefer not to be wearing something pumping out radiation nonstop day and night.

I have a Polar H7 smart bluetooth heart rate monitor

With this I can use polar beat on my phone which gps tracks my runs combined with heart rate data

The H7 also syncs up with my super old Polar F11 watch

and I also have a polar loop activity tracker

Not the cheapest way to collate all the data you want but definitely the most accurate.

What are your thoughts mate? I have still yet to purchase, thinking about grabbing one this weekend!

I enjoy having it and gives me some rough idea of calories burned and heart rate.

The linking of your gym data to an online site is great. Good graphs to give you an idea of how well you are tracking.

Surge vs blaze is the question...

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/product-comparison-calculator?comparison=yes&ids=57383,42220

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/01/fitbit-surge-depth-review.html

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/03/fitbit-blaze-depth-review.html

lack of GPS means the Blaze is an instant no for me but if its not important to you or if you carry your mobile while you're working out then I reckon its the better option.
mostly because it looks better and has a better display. if you're going to be wearing it a lot (as a daily activity tracker, not just when working out) then you dont want something that looks shitty.

that said, i wouldnt buy either of them but that wasnt the question.

Hi all - haven't been able to find any info on this thread so thought I'd try here. Was given a Garmin Vivosmart HR recently. Its great and links up to all my apps including RunKeeper. But I can't seem to get it to sync with Runkeeper well enough - i.e. all my GSP running data on RunKeeper which tracks via my phone does not import to Garmin connect when it automatically syncs - everything else does. Any info anyone can point me to?

I realize this is an older thread but if you have an iPhone get an Apple Watch. The series 2 has gps and is water proof. It does everything you've listed and once you start getting wrist notifications you won't be able to go back to phone only.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bit of a bump here.
What are my options if I’m after something for;
- running with a timer I can set so I can control my volume* (this is really the one non-negotiable)
- playing tunes via Bluetooth so I don’t have to carry around my old iPod mini and clunky headphones
- sleep and heart rate tracker

Also could be one of those chest strap things if it ends up being better for what I’m after.

*once my shin splints settle I plan on doing 20mins of intervals 2-3 times a week starting at something as low as a 1:7 (I’ll use the aths track around the corner so run 100m walk 700m to start) run:walk ratio then slowly change the ratio up to running the full 20 minutes

Update:
Got around the watch by making a playlists of songs that multiply out to 24 minutes eg a playlist of songs 5:50-6:10
Will just hunt down some headphones that have some storage capacity

Last edited:
I consistently have problems with my Fitbit Blaze and it's syncing & battery issues, I've contacted them via Facebook AND their website not happy with the service, i've gone through all their troubleshooting and I just want it gone or replaced.. However, they're adamant that if they keep stalling me and wearing me down with more troubleshooting links and tests that i'll just give in.

It's kinda working.. :mad:

I consistently have problems with my Fitbit Blaze and it's syncing & battery issues, I've contacted them via Facebook AND their website not happy with the service, i've gone through all their troubleshooting and I just want it gone or replaced.. However, they're adamant that if they keep stalling me and wearing me down with more troubleshooting links and tests that i'll just give in.

It's kinda working.. :mad:

Unlucky, I've had no issues with mine other than the shitty strap breaking.

Unlucky, I've had no issues with mine other than the shitty strap breaking.
I can see that happening too, they aren't the most durable wristbands.

Some weeks my battery lasts 4 days, sometimes 2 days. last week I charged it overnight and put it back on in the morning at 6:30am, by 10:58am it was dead. :mad:

Even with the app open all the time and autosync on - it can goes up to 10 days without syncing.

I can see that happening too, they aren't the most durable wristbands.

Some weeks my battery lasts 4 days, sometimes 2 days. last week I charged it overnight and put it back on in the morning at 6:30am, by 10:58am it was dead. :mad:

Even with the app open all the time and autosync on - it can goes up to 10 days without syncing.
Dude just send it back and demand a refund, they wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

Not fit for purpose
Not working as advertised

Dude just send it back and demand a refund, they wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

Not fit for purpose
Not working as advertised
Yeah I would've liked to do this, however this is their policy on defective products and returns:

If such a defect arises and a return authorization request is received by Fitbit within the applicable Warranty Period, Fitbit will, at its option and to the extent permitted by law, either (1) repair the Product at no charge, using new or refurbished replacement parts or (2) replace the Product with a new or refurbished Product. In the event of such a defect, to the extent permitted by law, these are your sole and exclusive remedies.

I'm not sure they're allowed to do that tbh.. Surely that doesn't hold water legally. What if I want a refund and to take my business elsewhere..?

I just got a Garmin Vivofit 3. Simple device compared to most but I am really only interested in tracking steps taken each day, distance traveled and sleep. Syncing to the Garmin Connect app adds some interesting depth.

I enjoy staying in shape and this device incentivises activity and meets the basic interest in observing my own data.

The year long battery life is a huge plus.

Got it for $89 at JB HIFI

Remove this Banner Ad

Back