interchange numbers

Remove this Banner Ad

Article today on afl.com.au

Richmond legend Kevin Bartlett is a long-time advocate for reducing rotations, believing the interchange bench had been hijacked by coaches as a tactical tool.

St Kilda champion Nick Riewoldt has supported a drop in rotations to 40 a game, saying it would stretch the ground and help key forwards, putting an emphasis back on endurance – rather than power – running.

Richmond legend Kevin Bartlett is a long-time advocate for reducing rotations, believing the interchange bench had been hijacked by coaches as a tactical tool.

St Kilda champion Nick Riewoldt has supported a drop in rotations to 40 a game, saying it would stretch the ground and help key forwards, putting an emphasis back on endurance – rather than power – running.

Yeah that will be great Nick, more athletes and less footballers is what this game needs!

Billy Hartung will be traded back to Hawthorn for pick 1 next year!

18 Billy Hartungs couldnt get within 15 goals of 18 Sam Mitchells.

People assume wrongly that without interchange coaches would just push on with the same gameplans that work with rotations even if that meant playing a team of hack marathon runners.

They wouldn't.

What a top bloke. Answering a guy who was left hanging longer than 3 & a half years.

Yeah that will be great Nick, more athletes and less footballers is what this game needs!

Or that even endurance athletes wouldn’t be able to run up and down the ground all game, so players abilities (footballer over athlete), becomes more important.

At the least disposal efficiency, so you aren’t chasing after a turnover, would become even more valued.

Last edited:
Id support less intetchange, I reckon we would see more genuine positional play and one on one contests.

I support going back to 20 players a team with 2 of those players on interchange bench.
If that does not happen next preference is limit interchange rotations to 40 each team.
10 a quarter should be plenty on average.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Eddie came out yesterday and said reduced IC bench could lead to players being more tempted to use PEDs! No s**t, that's what he said.....

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/co...e/news-story/1a00a167eefb9b4d0ac38fd5c425b6c8

Eddie's still a journo and media person foremost and a club president next. Sensationalising an issue is how he draws negative attention to the possible change.

I don't have a strong option either way but I think if we're looking to create more one on one contests without changing the game fundamentally with zones like netball, then reducing the interchange numbers would achieve this and keep the better players on the ground. The Interchange would become more of a strategic tool to be used at crucial times during a game rather than a way to flood every contest with numbers.

On the contrary, players will get tired, so those with high skills will be more important.

More one-on-one contests rather than a zone defence. Key positions players will have a chance to dominate, but even smaller players like Danger, Betts, Ablett would be dangerous in the forward line without being double teamed.

More open play and quick rebounds etc rather than rugby mauls. If you make a skill error, you will likely be punished.

There’s been reduced interchange recently right?

Yet the so called problem still exists as strong as ever

So the people who called for the first reduction are asking for more, yet apparently it hasn’t worked so far?

They used to call these people quacks.

(I could be persuaded by hard data, but as there’s non forthcoming, just ‘gut feel’ I assume none)

So the people who called for the first reduction are asking for more, yet apparently it hasn’t worked so far?

(I could be persuaded by hard data, but as there’s non forthcoming, just ‘gut feel’ I assume none)

It hasn't worked?

Then why are athletes like Masten, Blicavs, Hill, Hartung etc being found out?

If/when you get that data, remember it is/was a trend.

If the rate the problem (however that problem is defined) was getting worse was slowed, then reducing the numbers has been a success, and further reduction could well be warranted, even though it actually got worse.

I remember when Collingwood used to have ridiculously high rotation numbers around 2010/2011 and they were my favourite team to watch, so I'm not sure lowering/cancelling out interchanges would help "the spectacle". But I think it would bring back a more one on one contest aspect.

If/when you get that data, remember it is/was a trend.

If the rate the problem (however that problem is defined) was getting worse was slowed, then reducing the numbers has been a success, and further reduction could well be warranted, even though it actually got worse.

My point is you’d think the proponents for change would have strong numbers supporting their cause.

They don’t and you suspect it’s because the data does not support their stand, that’s why their argument is mambo jumbo and ‘let’s get back to the nineties etc’

They should have laughter in their face until they can make a strong case for change

It hasn't worked?

Then why are athletes like Masten, Blicavs, Hill, Hartung etc being found out?

Hill was freos b&f and he’s a very good football player who can run as well. Blicavs was stuffed by the third man up and arguably hartung by the sub rule.

So let’s make more changes and justify a few talking heads who couldn’t cut it as coaches etc

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back