Peter "Butters" Handscomb

Remove this Banner Ad

I dislike many a state it’s just I don’t need to call the other states out as often as Victoria in regards to clearly biased rubbish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is an afl forum with a good 60-70% of its members being Victorian, for every 1 dickhead on here from states outside Victoria there will half a dozen from Victoria.

It is just the law of averages and absolutely nothing to do with Victorian supporters being more biased.

has nothing to do with him being victorian he just doesn't deserve a spot in the team right now.

somehow who is better (and is also victorian) is being robbed of a spot.

We're going to churn through a lot of players quickly if we keep dropping guys who are out of form for a couple of tests. Or in Renshaw's case, for three Shield games.
The way Renshaw's been batting he might get dropped from the Queensland side...

This is an afl forum with a good 60-70% of its members being Victorian, for every 1 dickhead on here from states outside Victoria there will half a dozen from Victoria.

It is just the law of averages and absolutely nothing to do with Victorian supporters being more biased.

I think the Victorian media plays a part as well. Builds up the NSW bias myth even more than the other states.

We're going to churn through a lot of players quickly if we keep dropping guys who are out of form for a couple of tests. Or in Renshaw's case, for three Shield games.
normally i'd agree but you cant carry a guy who is too scared to play a shot and can only score from leg glances or glides/edges to third man. its an extremely difficult way to a make a hundred.

Pete if you happen to read this and by some miracle you get another chance, stick your foot down the track and hit the ******* ball. dont just let the ball hit your bat.

I hope Peter can survive and prosper and evolve.

phil hughes had a technical deficiency apparently and was found out.
Kerry o'Keefe once said that if Hughes nicked himself shaving he'd be caught by Martin Guptill 2nd slip. I dont mean to speak ill of the dead but it kind of tempers the thought that he had a furure great career cut tragically short.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think Hanscomb has technique deficiencies. His technique is not textbook but its generally effective.

His problem right now is his form. He's lost it. I'm happy to persist with him as I think he will pay off longer term but equally as happy to send him back to Shield cricket to regain form. Right now, he's a long term not a short term prospect and the selectors need to judge whether keeping him in the side will be better for confidence as opposed to dropping him a level.

I don't think Hanscomb has technique deficiencies. His technique is not textbook but its generally effective.
Against shield bowlers and a hapless Pakistan on flat wickets sure, hasn't worked too well against anyone else at Test level.

I shudder to think how it would fare against elite bowling over in England.

Against shield bowlers and a hapless Pakistan on flat wickets sure, hasn't worked too well against anyone else at Test level.

To be fair, he'd struggle to be much worse than most of our batsmen against a swinging pill. We are pretty weak across the board when it comes to a moving ball, whether swing or spin. If he does go back to Shield level to get his mojo back then thats something he can definitely work on.

To me he seems hesitant and as a result going back on his stumps. If he gets his head right and plays more positively, I think he'd do better

I'd give him Perth, fails then he makes way for someone else.
Has the talent, and hopefully getting the right advice during the break between tests.
We are winning, which should give him time.
But as Mitch marsh has been brought in to the squad, then Mitch marsh will play

I just wish for one year at least that everyone would put state alliances to the side for the benefit of the national side and just get behind the team as a whole as politics seems to have found its way into a few of the Australian National sporting teams over the last couple of years and just becomes toxic and halts our progress on the national stage. State alliance is also the reason it’s hard to take any opinions seriously when you have the Vics trying to push Jon Holland’s claims when let’s face it, we will never play 2 spinners in the same match unless it’s on a Bunsen burner in the sub continent. This was also the same mob that fed us the propaganda that Travis Dean was going to be this next great batsman that would be opening for Australia and a mere 6 months later is on the verge of being dropped from the side that is 0-5 and he languishing dead last on the ladder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I used to think the same thing until we went into a series deciding Test in India with only two fast bowlers. To make matters worse, the pitch suited pace and all the first class games at this new venue had strongly suggested this.

As good as Handscomb's test career start was there was always a feeling his technique could get exposed once the international cricket community had more exposure to him.

I don't think it's a matter of retraining his technique because at his age it's just too ingrained. You can make small changes here and there but mass changes at this stage of his career rarely works. You can often completely destroy blokes when you try this. Most of them are unknown batsmen languishing in grade cricket around the country who made a vain attempt to change things up so they could take the next step but only ended up regressing. I think he's just gotta back in the technique that got him this far and work his way through.

He has become the first batsmen on the chopping block if a replacement were to come in.
They tried to retrain Phillip Hughes technique after two tons in South Africa and he struggled for form after that (RIP champ).

He did just ok in the last county season. Mid 30s average with one ton. Played better in the ODIs but not really the same thing.

It's a technique issue and it isn't I reckon. Yeah the set up is weird as * but plenty of good batsman have that. If you have a gander at the runs he scored last year there's a bit of a difference - last year he was actually pressing forwards when playing a front foot stroke. It wasn't much, just a small step so the front foot was outside the crease, but the weight transfer was there. This year he isn't, he's ******* trying to cover drive with the weight going backwards and both feet planted behind the crease.

That's both mental and technique. Just needs to get that press forward going again rather than this full * back foot. I mean really he's not too dissimilar to Bairstow in set up, Bairstow just comes forward pretty well.

For a bloke with a supposed technical deficiency he has only failed to reach double figures once in his test match career which suggests when he mentally applies himself it isn't an issue.

I'd look more at when he gets comfortable at the crease he relaxes a bit too much and then it doesn't work for him, a test where he is under fire to keep his spot could easily see him break his run of outs. I have no issues with him ending up in shield cricket again to work on a few things but not for mitch the spudnick marsh.

He should play in Perth at least, he has just enough credits for another test or 2 to find form

The more I watch his last couple of innings the more I think dropping him would be for the best, even though I'm a fan.

The poor bloke's completely shot at the moment. Not an insurmountable challenge to come back from it but some time out of the intense scrutiny of an Ashes series (even at 2-0 up) might be what he needs. He's tinkered with his technique to the point he no longer has one, so going back and working on the basics at training/state level, i.e. re-learning how to play off the front foot would be a good shout.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back