The most average player ever

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
Thread idea for the off-season.

Who is the most average footballer in history.. or that you can remember?

I don't mean average as a byword for s**t. I mean genuinely average. Not good, but not bad, and with generally nothing overly remarkable about him either physically or in terms of his career. Just... the bloke in the middle.

I'll kick off with my nomination... Danny Jacobs. Very average.

Certainly no star, but definitely a contributor when fit - for us anyway, and I imagine Hawthorn as well (their fans will know better).

He was drafted at pick 36. Not too early, not too late.

Jacobs was listed at 189cm and 96kgs. Not big, not genuine KPP size, but certainly not a midget. He played on key forwards when required, but wasn't really tall enough. He wasn't a small defender either.

He played 126 games over nine seasons. Not a huge number, but not a super-short career either.

He kicked 29 goals. Not a large amount, but certainly more than many other defenders.

Averaged 14 disposals over his career... not bad for a defender.

He played for two clubs - not a one-club player, but not a journeyman.

He wore jumper numbers 8 (a low one), 42 (a high one), and 21 (one in the middle).

He never won any individual awards, though he was a Rising Star nominee.

Not a premiership player. But did taste some on-field success and played in a Grand Final for Essendon.

Nicknamed 'DJ', a decidedly unimaginative, average Australian nickname. (He has however been known as 'The Hose' in some circles - I can't comment personally but his most non-average feature may well be his manhood.)

Probably the most notable thing about him was I think he was some small part of the infamous "Veale Deal" when traded.

Well done Daniel, you super-average operator.

Nominations?

Brodie Holland.

Perhaps. Not sure his rig was average enough though.

images

The Poodle owns this title
105 mediocre games over 9 years for two clubs
His biggest claim to fame being that he used to fold his socks in a manner to cover up one of the colours every game
Taylor+Hunt+AFL+NAB+Cup+Rd+1+Geelong+v+Collingwood+8xAarA876A8l.jpg
Taylor_Hunt_24.02.17.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's hard to find a player who just had a very middle of the road career. Anyone well known has played 100, heck even 50 games and probably has had a decent go at it.

I'm trying to think of a player who would score 5 out of 10 for:
- Pace
- Fitness
- skills
- decision making
- hardness
- ball winning
- defensive ability

Masten is a nomination who probably scores a bit higher for fitness but otherwise on a video game rating system I'd have him a 5/10 in most categories.

Is there a way to search the new AFL game and find a player who is just consistently average in a lot of criteria?

I don't mean average as a byword for s**t. I mean genuinely average. Not good, but not bad, and with generally nothing overly remarkable about him either physically or in terms of his career. Just... the bloke in the middle.

Certainly no star, but definitely a contributor when fit - for us anyway, and I imagine Hawthorn as well (their fans will know better).

Jacobs was listed at 189cm and 96kgs. Not big, not genuine KPP size, but certainly not a midget. He played on key forwards when required, but wasn't really tall enough. He wasn't a small defender either.

He played 126 games over nine seasons. Not a huge number, but not a super-short career either.

He kicked 29 goals. Not a large amount, but certainly more than many other defenders.

He wore jumper numbers 8 (a low one), 42 (a high one), and 21 (one in the middle).

Not a premiership player. But did taste some on-field success and played in a Grand Final for Essendon.

Nicknamed 'DJ', a decidedly unimaginative, average Australian nickname. (He has however been known as 'The Hose' in some circles - I can't comment personally but his most non-average feature may well be his manhood.)

Probably the most notable thing about him was I think he was some small part of the infamous "Veale Deal" when traded.

Nominations?

Essendon totally cooked us on the trade of Danny Jacobs. i think it was pick 7 or 8. We were pretty desperate for him too.

He was just too short to hold down a key back position, and also he didn't have the competitive gene (his body language was awful).

Nominations?

You forgot his finest moment, when he got pinged for DD and he and Lance Piccone cooked up a lie about who was driving, and got immediately caught out.

Teary press conference and all!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back