Brent Harvey - Let's get serious

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Brent Harvey. A name that just doesn't get discussed when talking about 'champions'. Sure we hear Hird, Voss, Buckley and to a lesser extent Harvey, Crawford, Cousins etc, but why does this guy never seem to come into the conversations of champions? Let's look at his stats.

432 games for 518 goals. Second in the clubs history.

4x AA
5x Club B&F
North Melbourne team of the century
Premiership player

These statistics are unrivalled for a midfielder. His CV is unbelievable. There is absolutely no question he deserves to be in the top 5 midfielders of our game over the last 20 years.

One of the reasons I can only put this down to is that he doesn't get the recognition because he never won a Brownlow, yet Cooney & Woewodin won one. Go figure. There's no denying he absolutely trumped those two. He was actually better than so many 'champions' we have apparently given that title.

Brent Harvey. A name that just doesn't get discussed when talking about 'champions'. Sure we hear Hird, Voss, Buckley and to a lesser extent Harvey, Crawford, Cousins etc, but why does this guy never seem to come into the conversations of champions? Let's look at his stats.

4x AA
5x Club B&F
Premiership player

These statistics are unrivalled for a midfielder. His CV is unbelievable. There is absolutely no question he deserves to be in the top 5 midfielders of our game over the last 20 years.

He is an absolute legend and up there with Hird, Voss and Buckley. Personally I think he isn't mentioned by many in the same league is simply played for a smaller profile club.

One of the reasons I can only put this down to is that he doesn't get the recognition because he never won a Brownlow, yet Cooney & Woewodin won one. Go figure. There's no denying he absolutely trumped those two. He was actually better than so many 'champions' we have apparently given that title.

I have him below the level of those you have in your OP (Hird, Buckley, Voss, Roo, Cousins, Crawford, Harvey, Black, etc) because each of these players was, for a reasonable period of time, the best player in the game, or in the best 2-3 players going around.

Harvey I have in the same category as someone like Brad Johnson - out and out club champion, outstanding CV ... but not in the top handful of players at any given time.

I have him below the level of those you have in your OP (Hird, Buckley, Voss, Roo, Cousins, Crawford, Harvey, Black, etc) because each of these players was, for a reasonable period of time, the best player in the game, or in the best 2-3 players going around.

Harvey I have in the same category as someone like Brad Johnson - out and out club champion, outstanding CV ... but not in the top handful of players at any given time.
It really depends how you judge a career. For me I think his superior fitness, preparation, and recovery has to be discussed the same way as the amazing skill sets of Voss, Hird and Buckley.

One of the reasons he doesn't get mentioned along with those other champions is that he was a downhill skier that couldn't handle a tag.

He was a damaging player if left to run free but would go missing if he was up against a good tagger, Clint Jones shut him down whenever he played St Kilda.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of the reasons he doesn't get mentioned along with those other champions is that he was a downhill skier that couldn't handle a tag.

He was a damaging player if left to run free but would go missing if he was up against a good tagger, Clint Jones shut him down whenever he played St Kilda.
Do you think his entire career he couldn't handle it?

I think most people woukd agree that he was a decent player for most of his career. Its his consistancy and longevity that will be what he is remembered for.

Also, the fact that he's their second best goal scorer is sad...
I guess post Carey & Longmire there wasn't many big goal kickers for them. Petrie was solid, but didn't hit the scoreboard that much.

Considering Boomers best football was at the age (2008, 30) most would be considered ‘over the hill’ I believe that instead of the talk being that he was ‘one of the champions of the modern era’, it was all about ‘how was he playing such good football at his age.’

This talk continued through to his retirement and instead of being remembered by the fans as someone who dominated his whole career, he’s seen as someone who just managed to play consistent football for a very long time.

4x AA
5x Club B&F
Premiership player

He's not even the best Harvey over the past 20yrs mate.

I think most people woukd agree that he was a decent player for most of his career. Its his consistancy and longevity that will be what he is remembered for.

Also, the fact that he's their second best goal scorer is sad...

Our ToC contains Malcom Blight and Wayne Carey, yes im extremely sad we have had arguably two of the greatest, most dynamic forwards ever..........

I assume this is why

brownlow18_gallery__386x400.jpg

i don't think it is. Robert Harvey was in a different class.

Boomer is remembered as a good player* who played at that level for an amazing period of time. Also as a somewhat unlikable guy.

*not the best but one of the best at his club
Lol, what rot

Lol, what rot

Apart from goals & best & fairest the two brownlows kind of stand out

Better than Judd, Cousisns, Kerr, Buckley, Hird, Harvey, Black, Voss etc

Take your googles off, he's a player any club would have wanted but not in the first rank. no shame in that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back