Official Team Thread The Sin City Swamprats S24 Official Team Thread - Congrats philreich

Now comes the announcement of a new sponsor. We have been putting more into Sportsbet than we ever got out of them, so when my phone made an unscheduled drinks break in the Torrens, I used the opportunity to open up a dialogue with a new provider.

As a result of these snowballing discussions, I can proudly announce that the Sin City Swamprats will now be sponsored by Qelstra. Please see a mock-up of our home and away Guernseys, done by Fizzler below
mzEZUsdl.png

QcIxBHWl.png

As part of this sponsorship, I have landed a deal that sees me receive the top-shelf iPhone X, on an unlimited data plan, for nix. The rest of the team will receive BlackBerrys. Soz.

One simply doesn't do beer with my next guest. Straight to the top shelf with my chat with Swampies legend Cloud_

Ding: G'day Cloud_,

Turn the clock back to pre-season and the club had a shake up with Milky and Spookism leaving. What was going through your mind then?

Cloud_: Cheers Dingster, yeah it's fair to say it was a bit of turbulent time at the Rats with Noobz0r and Golumless were also leaving in addition to those two which meant the only remaining leadership group members of the Ant Bear and I. I was confident that we would be fine numbers wise because AB had gotten a few recruits over the line, philreich being one, gaskin another and a couple rookies as well. The concern I guess was a void in leadership which meant a few decisions needed to be made. From a personal point of view, at the conclusion of last season I had told Ant Bear that I wouldn't be playing on at the Rats. I reneged on that decision upon finding out about Millky's sudden retirement so it's a sliding doors moment I guess. Had it not happened I wouldn't have been here this season.

D: Well that was a good thing for us. It's been an emotional season and you are always able remain composed and provide that beautiful balance. What are your thoughts on emotional side of the season?

C: It has been a very emotional season, certainly the most in my experience. It's been full of ups and downs but through it I think what we have now is a playing group that's grown closer together and is as tightly knit as any. There were some weeks where tempers flew but it's a part of the game. If a situation ever gets out of hand it's simply the job of leaders to keep their cool and calm things down. I don't think there's any secret to how to manage it, I simply always keep the perspective that it's a fantasy internet game.

D: The BC have been the centre of the tension this season and there has been a couple of times where they've crossed the line, but mostly I find them a fun group to banter with and I notice that you also are able to relate to them. Has the whole BC issue been blown out of proportion or is it a real problem in the SFA?

C: The entire BC issue has gotten a bit ridiculous now hasn't it? I think there's a problem when people begin blaming groups for the actions of a few individuals, most people are probably not aware that the BC would include people like Matera92, Wacky Tiger, former Rats captain spookism, former Rats captain Millky95, Mooch. Do the BC have people who behave like dickheads? Certainly. The real issue at the moment is this cultural divide that has manifested in the league where many people are acting in cliques and groups. We've spoken at length with The Filth Wizard and Blacky about instances of BC members seemingly ganging up on people and we're looking to pull that back but it'll take an effort from everyone to make the Sweet FA fun and enjoyable for all again.

D: So the solution really lies in the LGs of the clubs to educate and support their players including when a line has been crossed?

C: Yes I would say so. The manner in which players post is generally a reflection of leadership groups. Strong club would usually be able to pull a player into line, rudderless ones would continue allowing them to post trash.

D: You are now a Mod of the SFA board. How's the chemistry with TFW and Blacky and have there been any discussions that you can share? Any massive differences of opinions? We want the juice!

C: Yeah just fine, moderating is very boring stuff actually there's not much to share. Filth and Blacky are very easy to work with and all discussion is respectful and well reasoned. The local grocery store might be a better place to find juice.

D: Filth and Blacky are easy. Good to know.

Back to the Underground, who has caught your eye this season?

C: Aww there's so many that deserve a mention here, it really is a fantastic group we've got and it's going to be really unfair to leave people out. However, bergholt has been a brilliant rookie addition, very clever and quick witted with his posts and will poll well in the EKA I'd imagine. philreich's just been a machine and solid gold all season long. But I guess personally I'd consider the standout as ShaunDuggan because I remember when I was a rookie in my third match thread he randomly popped up after being inactive for 5 seasons or something. I kept on tagging him every week hoping that he'd check in for that one post that season, and now it's hard to believe that he's back and brand new. I'd like to claim credit for the return of the Batman.

D: As someone new to the Swampies, the experienced group as a whole have been fun to play with and make it easier for the rookies to shine. There has been criticism from some that we are too spammy, but have they got it right? Some rookies find it easy to get involved but so many fall away.

C: I think historically with all teams the rate of conversion for rookies is fairly low. It's one thing to get them into the league, it's another to get them to understand it and be invested in it. Most seasons we recruit 3 or 4 rookies and only one of them will end up an active 50+ game player. For some the league just isn't their niche and that's fine. As for spam criticism I can't say I've seen anything too serious in that regard. There haven't been too many cases of incessant posting of repetitive gifs or bland one liners purely for the sake of increasing post count. Posing with an emphasis on high post counts are what I regard as spam and that attitude deserves some criticism. Otherwise I think it's just a case of people being overly dramatic.

D: Instant answer time.

D: Vegetarian or meat lover?
C: Meat lover.

D: Summer or winter?
C: Winter.

D: Pineapple on pizza or not?
C: No pineapple.

D: Sack Ant Bear?
C: nah you guys are screwed

D: Finally if we could recruit one player to the Swampies, who would that be and why?

C: I would absolutely love to Tony Lynn 15 on board. Anyone who could mastermind a thread of such tremendous popularity is an absolute genius, the Swamprats would overnight become the most popular group since One Direction was formed.

D: Thanks for sharing your thoughts Cloud_. Any last words?

C: I love all of you! BYYYEEEE~

Now that I think about it this is a very ominous question to ask "Any last words?" it's like you're planning on murdering me right after the cameras go off. You're not planning to pull a gun on me now right? Haha...

Dingster you're not saying anything and you've got a very intense stare at me right now.

Cut it out you're kinda freaking me out.

Why are lights dimming?

And why are you walking towards to the fire axe?

Dingster?

200w.webp

ROUND 15

9duxJed.png

(Written by Grav )

Fighting Furies : 9.7.61
Sin City Swamprats : 11.4.70

In a controversial finish the Swamprats got up for a well deserved win in a fairly lack lustre game.

After the Furies led by 21 pts at half time, the Swampies came out with a match winning 3rd quarter to kick 6 goals to 1 and kept the Furies at bay in the last.

In a real team effort with only philreich playing a stand out game, with 14kicks & 12 handpasses.

VOTES:
philreich 25
Quadzilla 17
Butler 13
Ant Bear 10
ChristopHaha 8
Dingster 1
Fizzler 1

One simply doesn't do beer with my next guest. Straight to the top shelf with my chat with Swampies legend Cloud_

Ding: G'day Cloud_,

Turn the clock back to pre-season and the club had a shake up with Milky and Spookism leaving. What was going through your mind then?

Cloud_: Cheers Dingster, yeah it's fair to say it was a bit of turbulent time at the Rats with Noobz0r and Golumless were also leaving in addition to those two which meant the only remaining leadership group members of the Ant Bear and I. I was confident that we would be fine numbers wise because AB had gotten a few recruits over the line, philreich being one, gaskin another and a couple rookies as well. The concern I guess was a void in leadership which meant a few decisions needed to be made. From a personal point of view, at the conclusion of last season I had told Ant Bear that I wouldn't be playing on at the Rats. I reneged on that decision upon finding out about Millky's sudden retirement so it's a sliding doors moment I guess. Had it not happened I wouldn't have been here this season.

D: Well that was a good thing for us. It's been an emotional season and you are always able remain composed and provide that beautiful balance. What are your thoughts on emotional side of the season?

C: It has been a very emotional season, certainly the most in my experience. It's been full of ups and downs but through it I think what we have now is a playing group that's grown closer together and is as tightly knit as any. There were some weeks where tempers flew but it's a part of the game. If a situation ever gets out of hand it's simply the job of leaders to keep their cool and calm things down. I don't think there's any secret to how to manage it, I simply always keep the perspective that it's a fantasy internet game.

D: The BC have been the centre of the tension this season and there has been a couple of times where they've crossed the line, but mostly I find them a fun group to banter with and I notice that you also are able to relate to them. Has the whole BC issue been blown out of proportion or is it a real problem in the SFA?

C: The entire BC issue has gotten a bit ridiculous now hasn't it? I think there's a problem when people begin blaming groups for the actions of a few individuals, most people are probably not aware that the BC would include people like Matera92, Wacky Tiger, former Rats captain spookism, former Rats captain Millky95, Mooch. Do the BC have people who behave like dickheads? Certainly. The real issue at the moment is this cultural divide that has manifested in the league where many people are acting in cliques and groups. We've spoken at length with The Filth Wizard and Blacky about instances of BC members seemingly ganging up on people and we're looking to pull that back but it'll take an effort from everyone to make the Sweet FA fun and enjoyable for all again.

D: So the solution really lies in the LGs of the clubs to educate and support their players including when a line has been crossed?

C: Yes I would say so. The manner in which players post is generally a reflection of leadership groups. Strong club would usually be able to pull a player into line, rudderless ones would continue allowing them to post trash.

D: You are now a Mod of the SFA board. How's the chemistry with TFW and Blacky and have there been any discussions that you can share? Any massive differences of opinions? We want the juice!

C: Yeah just fine, moderating is very boring stuff actually there's not much to share. Filth and Blacky are very easy to work with and all discussion is respectful and well reasoned. The local grocery store might be a better place to find juice.

D: Filth and Blacky are easy. Good to know.

C: Aww there's so many that deserve a mention here, it really is a fantastic group we've got and it's going to be really unfair to leave people out. However, bergholt has been a brilliant rookie addition, very clever and quick witted with his posts and will poll well in the EKA I'd imagine. philreich's just been a machine and solid gold all season long. But I guess personally I'd consider the standout as ShaunDuggan because I remember when I was a rookie in my third match thread he randomly popped up after being inactive for 5 seasons or something. I kept on tagging him every week hoping that he'd check in for that one post that season, and now it's hard to believe that he's back and brand new. I'd like to claim credit for the return of the Batman.

D: As someone new to the Swampies, the experienced group as a whole have been fun to play with and make it easier for the rookies to shine. There has been criticism from some that we are too spammy, but have they got it right? Some rookies find it easy to get involved but so many fall away.

C: I think historically with all teams the rate of conversion for rookies is fairly low. It's one thing to get them into the league, it's another to get them to understand it and be invested in it. Most seasons we recruit 3 or 4 rookies and only one of them will end up an active 50+ game player. For some the league just isn't their niche and that's fine. As for spam criticism I can't say I've seen anything too serious in that regard. There haven't been too many cases of incessant posting of repetitive gifs or bland one liners purely for the sake of increasing post count. Posing with an emphasis on high post counts are what I regard as spam and that attitude deserves some criticism. Otherwise I think it's just a case of people being overly dramatic.

D: Instant answer time.

D: Vegetarian or meat lover?
C: Meat lover.

D: Summer or winter?
C: Winter.

D: Pineapple on pizza or not?
C: No pineapple.

D: Sack Ant Bear?
C: nah you guys are screwed

D: Finally if we could recruit one player to the Swampies, who would that be and why?

C: I would absolutely love to Tony Lynn 15 on board. Anyone who could mastermind a thread of such tremendous popularity is an absolute genius, the Swamprats would overnight become the most popular group since One Direction was formed.

D: Thanks for sharing your thoughts Cloud_. Any last words?

C: I love all of you! BYYYEEEE~

Now that I think about it this is a very ominous question to ask "Any last words?" it's like you're planning on murdering me right after the cameras go off. You're not planning to pull a gun on me now right? Haha...

Dingster you're not saying anything and you've got a very intense stare at me right now.

Cut it out you're kinda freaking me out.

Why are lights dimming?

And why are you walking towards to the fire axe?

Dingster?

200w.webp
We are but simple servants of the league

Shining a light on the deception and flouting of the league rules.

God bless everyone.

put him on ignore in his milestone games. Check this season's Las Vegas Bear match thread and you'll thank me for it.
Worst.
Match.
Thread.
Ever.

Was torture.

ROUND 16

iKRJB3K.png

(Written by sportsmaniac89 )

Entering the final game of the season 3-12, guaranteed wooden spooners and pride to play for, we headed to the Underground looking to win our first home game of the season. The opening quarter was one of the great quarters of the season for us as we stunned the Royals with a 6 goal to 2 opening and when we extended the lead to 36 points midway through the second quarter courtesy of this moment

2 : 14.48 {lFP} - drazah has possession.
2 : 14.52 {lFP} - drazah from point blank range.
2 : 14.56 {lFP} - Great goal by drazah.
Sin City Swamprats : 8.4.52
Gold City Royals : 2.4.16

We looked like that we were going to run away with the game. Unfortunately, in what had become a predictable theme of our season, we proceeded to throw that lead away with the Royals, who were playing for top spot, lifting dramatically. Six goals in a row either side of half-time saw the Royals take a 1 point lead and threaten to run away with the game but with only pride to play for, we reasserted ourselves and took a 9 point lead into the last change. Was it going to be another close but no cigar game? Like heck it was! Despite the Royals throwing the kitchen sink and everything else in between at us, we answered their every challenge, refusing to cede the lead in a goal for goal last stanza that thrilled the Qooty world before emerging with a 9 point win, finishing the season off with 2 wins in a row and a 4-12 record.

Ant Bear was a star with 21 disposals, 12 tackles and 2 goals and was backed up by sportsmaniac89 with 28 disposals and a goal, not to mention a welcome return to form for Cloud_ with 5 goals 5 behinds.

Votes:
Ant Bear 22
sportsmaniac89 18
@Cloud_16
ShaunDuggan 11
katmanblue 4
gaskin 1
Grav 1
Louis Slungpue 1
philreich 1

200w.webp

Aflleckos.gif

And that concludes the count.

Just a word about the man in whose honour the medal is named. Toots Hibberd was an Alberton Swamprat legend. After debuting in our Premiership Season S6, he went on to lead the club in S9, before his unfortunate passing led to the club going into mothballs for 7 seasons. Toots played 65 games for 96 goals, and won All-SFA selection in S9.

The top 3 were…on 116.5 votes, the defending titleholder sportsmaniac89 backs up his S23 Toots with a podium finish.

On 164 votes, I come runner-up for the second season in a row. My third runner-up placing overall, to go with 2 Toots…

And therefore, the winner of the Toots Hibbert Medal, with a total of 185 votes, is philreich.
151636.jpg

In his first season with the Swamprats, after playing at Mt Buller in S23, phil has been a shining light, earning unanimous best afield votes in rounds 3, 6 and 15. Coupled with his amazing posting, philreich is likely to be a vital component of Swamprat teams for many seasons.

Congratulations, phil. I'm expecting you to take on an official leadership role next season.

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-13_22-2-5.png
    upload_2017-12-13_22-2-5.png
    1.7 KB · Views: 164

Final Vote tallies:

upload_2017-12-13_22-31-38.png

So, we're done. My first B&F, but I couldn't have done it without my amaing LG, who have supported and encouraged me all season.
Cloud_, sportsmaniac89, Grav and especially Dingster ... You're incredible people and qootiers.

And that officially closes our season. Not the result onfield that anyone wanted, but it is definitely the case that adversity brought us closer together than most. We can expect to lose a couple, as usual, and have already gained a couple in ant555 and @GotThe Goodes. We are in dialogue with other established players and will, as always, look to replenish and enhance our list by developing rookies.

Last edited:
Final Vote tallies:
View attachment 444765

So, we're done. My first B&F, but I couldn't have done it without my amaing LG, who have supported and encouraged me all season.
Cloud_, sportsmaniac89, Grav and especially Dingster ... You're incredible people and qootiers.

And that officially closes our season. Not the result onfield that anyone wanted, but it is definitely the case that adversity brought us closer together than most. We can expect to lose a couple, as usual, and have already gained a couple in ant555 and @GotThe Goodes. We are in dialogue with other established players and will, as always, look to replenish and enhance our list by developing rookies.
Great work mate.

Thanks for being so welcoming & warm. I'm glad to be on board with the funest & best qootiers in the SFA.

Looking forward to placing second in the EKA.

#sackantbear

Back