Pressure Gauge 2018

Which team is under the most pressure in 2018?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

BuffDog

Club Legend
Nov 10, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Every team enters a new season with varying levels of pressure internally and externally.

In 2018 there are a number of teams that will expect to win the flag or their campaign will be considered to be a failure. Alternatively there a some that simply must make the finals to demonstrate improvement and these often are the teams who’s coaches are under the most pressure.

At the other end of the scale there are some teams that no one really expects to contend or do much at all, and as the tigers of 2017 proved, this can be a fruitful position to be in.

Pressure Gauge 2018:

1. Sydney - the heat will be on in NSW in 2018. After coming home with a wet sail (ignoring that shipwreck against Geelong) internally and externally Sydney is regarded as the best team in it. They are one of the most experienced and professional outfits and their inability to add another flag in this era is a major underachievement. The pressure is on for a Sydney flag in 2018.

2. GWS - after failing in the last two prelims, the most talented team in the competition will internally expect to take the next step and make the big dance. Externally the pressure is intense, however, perhaps many observers are expecting a grand final appearance instead of a premiership.

3. Melbourne - Melbourne should have made the finals this year and were rightfully bitterly dissapointed that they didn’t. This team is stocked with high draft picks, talent and now Jake Lever. The blowtorch will be on the dees next year and a finals spot is the absolute minimum.

4. Adelaide - blew a golden change with an embarrassing grand final performance. Internally they’ll be determined to go one better. Externally many will expect Adelaide to contend, though Chances don’t come around too often and perhaps the crows have missed theirs.

5. Port - any team that recruits in the manner that the power did invites pressure and scrutiny. This team is talented and balanced and many internally and externally will expect a top 4 finish to justify their off season.

6. Richmond - calling Richmond’s flag a surprise should take nothing away from it, though it’s yrue. Few predicted the Tigers triumph and few are predicting them to emulate their success. The lack of pressure can work to their advantage but the tigers will be keen to prove they aren’t a flash in the pan.

7. Essendon - similar to port, the dons have targeted talent this off season and internally will expect to at least win one final. This is a team that is never afraid to talk the talk but rarely can walk it. Externally, there’s a consensus that the bombers have ignored their glaring deficiencies in the midfield and while they should be good, won’t threaten for the flag.

8. Geelong - any team that boasts three of the top 10 players in the competition will be expected to do well. Geelong are top 4 fixtures but have failed to make it count. They will be expected to be thereabouts next season, though few externally will expect a cats flag.

9. St Kilda - will they make it under richo? Can they take the step into the 8? How will losing nick and Leigh impact? This is a team with many question marks and they could not answer them this year. There’s talent in the saints line up no doubt and internally they’ll expect to improve and make the 8. Externally many expect the saints to be thereabouts in the 8th spot logjam, though it’s hard to see who they displace.

10. Gold Coast - next season will be a challenge with the commonwealth games situation. However, if this team isn’t competitive there will be grave fears externally for their long term viability. It’s nearing the time that the suns must do or die. Yes they’re young and inexperienced, they should be much further ahead and they can’t afford to be cellar dwellers for the next 5 or so years.

11. Collingwood - Collingwood don’t miss the finals 5 years in a row. But they most likely will. It’s hard to see where the sudden improvement will come from regardless of how good the midfield is. Internally the pressure on this team will probably rank 1st but externally many are not expecting a whole lot from the pies next season

12. Western Bulldogs - suddenly their flag seems a long time ago. The failure of this season has almost erased the memory of it and few are predicting the bulldogs to bounce back and challenge again. But they are talented and they’ve reached the summit so the dogs will be dissapointed if another season goes to waste.

13. Hawthorn - after a sustained period of success I’d argue the expectation of many is for hawthorn to fall away and spend some time at the bottom. Perhaps this is the case but this team is too proud for that. Internally they will believe and expect to make the finals or even challenge for the flag, and perhaps with a lack of external pressure they can surprise.

14. West Coast - many are expecting the eagles to drop off this season as they rejuvenate their list. There won’t be a heap of pressure but they’d sure like to make Perth stadium a fortress

15. North Melbourne - The pride of this team is admirable and perhaps enviable. Many are expecting the Roos to take home the spoon but internally they’ll be desperate and believe that they are better than that. Perhaps this is another team that can’t afford to remain uncompetitive and that pressure will always remain.

16. Fremantle - an interesting case. Last season proved the one before the was not an aberration. Freo have free reign now, a top 8 finish isn’t expected, though it’s not out of the question. They should enjoy a relatively pressure free season.

17. Carlton - cleaned out their list and the air is fresh at ikon Park. They’re young, talented and moving up but no one inside or out are expecting much from the blues next year.

18. Brisbane - similar to Carlton. Young and improving but 2018 is not expected to be fruitful. Such a lack of pressure can work wonders and I won’t be suprised to see the lions begin to chalk up the wins.

Geelong and Sydney either need to completely bottom out or win a GF next year.
Then Richmond need to prove they were no gifted fairytale fluke unlike the Bulldogs who failed us all.
GWS need to get past a prelim next year or they never will with this squads weak mindset
Essendon and Port with their recruits really need to push for the 4
Not so much Collingwood but Buckley needs to prove he's not a s**t coach immediately

That is all

Then Richmond need to prove they were no gifted fairytale fluke unlike the Bulldogs who failed us all.
GWS need to get past a prelim next year or they never will with this squads weak mindset
Not so much Collingwood but Buckley needs to prove he's not a s**t coach immediately

That is all
Bit hard for Buckley to prove he's not a s**t coach when he's already proven he is.

That is all
Seems a bit drastic for a team that already has the next generation in place with the Heeney/Mills group. I'm not even sure the Swans could effectively bottom out, the younger group has already shown enough in the relatively high number of games from them in the last 2 seasons that they would still be floating around the bottom of the 8 even if Buddy, JPK, McVeigh and Grundy retired tomorrow.

Collingwood has to be under a heap of pressure to make finals.

8 out of 18 do it each year so its not a Herculean task. To miss 5 years in a row by any club in this era of salary cap and drafting equality is actually quite dreadful.

Other than the Qld clubs, has any team missed finals 5 years straight since 2000?

Interesting thread. I like it. I think that a lot of pressure is bought about by the media. For example, a lot of emphasis on Collingwood where maybe there isn't as much on North or St Kilda? It tends to be the big Victorian clubs syndrome.

For me, I think the following have some questions hanging over them with whether they can deliver. It's hard to say who has the most pressure, so in no particular order;

Port - Well no one forgets 2014. A kick away from a GF then two years of no finals and a loss in their first final at home this year. Failed to beat top 8 sides and you'd seriously think they need to make a PF at a minimum next year, particularly with recruiting.

West Coast - Bit like Port to be honest. Big club, big membership base, needs a flag really. 2015 produced a shocking GF effort and 2016 and 2017 have been disappointing. Got some great KPP but need to tighten the screws in the midfield. You'd imagine Simpson would be in the gun.

Geelong / GWS - Two PF the last two years and two losses. Disappointing losses as well. GWS are the golden child of the AFL, they need to vindicate their existence and maximise their opportunities. In a world of free agency I can see players deserting a sinking ship in a non football state if things go south.

Geelong have Dangerfield and now Ablett, they've lost to their bogey side in Sydney in the 2016 PF and blown their 2017 finals campaign. With their recurring efforts at the top, and for all their home and away efforts, you'd think they'd want to see a flag with some big names.

Sydney - NSW always needs a flag. For the good of growing the game and also giving GWS exposure. 2014 and 2016 was a disaster. Franklin is the best player in the game and the Sydney pin up boy needs to hold the cup aloft.

WB - Missing the finals a year after winning the flag is a tough pill to swallow. Another failure this year would put some big names in the gun, at an absolute minimum they have to make the 8. Beverage needs to find a plan B with their game plan.

Melbourne - A lot of talk, not much action. Time for the Demons to play finals. Given lots of support over the years, big name in Roos making some good headway, great talent currently on our list, now need to deliver. No excuses.

Brisbane - Like NSW, QLD needs healthy representation. The Lions have got to get better next year, I think they're under more pressure just because of who they are and where they are. I reckon they need to start climbing with a view for finals in the next 2-3 years.

Collingwood - Can't escape such criticism anymore. Especially after resigning Buckley. Been out of finals for quite a few years now and need to vindicate their signing of Buckley, signing the likes of Mayne and Wells.

GWS need to prove that Ferrari's are as reliable as Commodores and if they did not do their preseason at Monza it will be another year wasted.

And the Pies. Imagine if they get off to a bad start again the media will love it!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Collingwood has to be under a heap of pressure to make finals.

8 out of 18 do it each year so its not a Herculean task. To miss 5 years in a row by any club in this era of salary cap and drafting equality is actually quite dreadful.

Other than the Qld clubs, has any team missed finals 5 years straight since 2000?

Melbourne haven't made it since 2006.

Adelaide finished top, went into the grand final as favourites, did the Crowbot stance, were ahead at quarter time and proceeded to do nothing.

Bryce Gibbs has the ominous feel of being seen as the 'missing piece in the puzzle' like Ryder and then Dixon were supposed to be for Port. Embarrassingly, a couple of Crows fans have been mentioning how good it will be to win the 2018 flag.

Added to that is the near certainty that 2018 will be Rory Sloane's last year at the club. You can smell it from a mile away.

I'd say the Cats. They have traded away draft picks heavily over the last few years plugging holes from their aging/retiring stars to try to pinch a flag before the inevitable rebuild. If they are going to win one then it would have to be 2018.

My order:

1/Geelong - explanation in my previous post.

2/Collingwood - Would want to make finals. Have gone backwards on the ladder every year since Buckley took over. Have been given an easy draw.

3/Melbourne - Haven't made finals for over a decade. Just missed out last season when W.C managed to just get over the line with their margin against Adelaide.

4/ Adelaide - Last seasons runner up. Need to make amends after succumbing to the pressure on the big day.

5/ Bulldogs/Richmond - Bulldogs and Richmond for similar reasons. Both won a flag recently and wouldn't want to fall back with the pack again after next couple of years from winning one.

Last edited:
I'd say the Cats. They have traded away draft picks heavily over the last few years plugging holes from their aging/retiring stars to try to pinch a flag before the inevitable rebuild. If they are going to win one then it would have to be 2018.

Yep. I voted for GWS, but I think Geelong are equally under the most pressure. I've been saying for years that they continue to stack their side with old players, and I think it's precarious and if it doesn't result in a flag it would be a huge failure. They'll be in for a massive rebuild once a third (and the most important third) of their side retires over the next few years.

I voted for the Blues because we cannot afford to finish bottom 4 again.

This year was a great improvement even though we didn't win as many games as we did in 2016. But we stopped the blowouts and were competitive in most matches.

Next year we need to find better and more avenues to goal and still maintain all the gains from this year (without Doc and Gibbs that will be difficult so a few of the young players need to step up again and hopefully Cripps will remain fit and demonstrate what a star he is). Carlton must get 8 to 10 wins in 2018. I think that we can achieve that.

The real pressure will be on those teams that have failed to deliver at the pointy end of the season. In order I think they are Sydney, Geelong, Adelaide and GWS.

Back