Non-AFL chat thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any nba draft watchers out there??

I watched Marvin Bagley III play last nite against Florida. Wow. Just wow.

And guys like donkic, Porter and Ayton are potentially even better prospects. My god this draft looks incredible.

Massive chance for sac, Phoenix and Dallas to get that transformational talent.

Scary_Foot_9

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 16, 2013
Canberra
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham, Cubs, Leafs, Ravens
If Chris Gaffney is an ICC standard ump, I might dust off the old wide brim and ball clicker.

No consistency, either ultra-aggressive in out decisions or deferring stone dead ones to DRS.

Doggstats

Club Legend
May 21, 2011
On the toilet.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
76ers, LA Angels
Any nba draft watchers out there??

I watched Marvin Bagley III play last nite against Florida. Wow. Just wow.

And guys like donkic, Porter and Ayton are potentially even better prospects. My god this draft looks incredible.

Massive chance for sac, Phoenix and Dallas to get that transformational talent.

Yea it's looking incredible. Might be the best top 5 since the 2003 banana boat draft (except there's no Lebron level talent).

Will be interesting what happens with Porter now he's out injured for the season. Imagine him falling to 7 or 8 and the Sixers getting him with the LA pick :straining:.

Doncic already looks like a star at just 18 as well.

Yea it's looking incredible. Might be the best top 5 since the 2003 banana boat draft (except there's no Lebron level talent).

Will be interesting what happens with Porter now he's out injured for the season. Imagine him falling to 7 or 8 and the Sixers getting him with the LA pick :straining:.

Doncic already looks like a star at just 18 as well.
This makes me happy. Tank mode please Dallas.

But, I still love winning games even at 15th seed. Last couple of weeks they've actually been playing at about the level I thought we would at the start of the season and have been picking up some Ws. Bit of a catch-22.

Lindsay_Gilbee

Premiership Player
Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I’ve always thought this for a long time, but there’s nothing more pathetic than the A) media’s coverage of cricket in this country and B) the way the public talk about cricket. Especially the second part.

It’s extremely annoying to hear journalists bring up how Broad sending off Handscomb was wrong and ‘bullying’. It’s absolute rubbish. Every level of cricket I’ve ever seen or played has has atleast one big fast bowler who gets into the face of the batsman, I honestly think it’s the best part of the game. Didn’t hear anyone chirping up when Johnson was an absolute freight train last ashes. But now apparently it’s an issue.

The public getting into Broad is just weird. Is it cos of him not walking? Do they all remember Symons not walking and making a big ton? Steve Waugh not walking that probably saved his career? Literally every cricketer has done it with the exception of Gilchrist in my memory.

The double standards are horrible.

Steve Smith is a massive sook who as soon as something doesn’t go his way cracks the shits. Someone on his own team drops a catch? He looks at them like they just shagged his misses. Review go against him? Toys out of the cot again. But everyone loves him. Kohli does something tiny like sledge and everyone in the country wants to hang him. Both are w***ers, but one is viewed as God and the other an a-hole.

It’s always been pretty bad, but never quite like this. Even seeing social media pages slate Alister Cook, do they not remember when he was basically unstoppable and was an ashes winning captain here? Something we haven’t done for almost 20 years, going to the other teams pitches and winning.

Then there’s the media who just completely ignore anything that happens outside of Aus.

Maybe I’m just getting older and realise almost all cricketers are dicks. As a kid I looked up to Martyn, Gilchrist, Hussey. I don’t see anyone near the quality of people in the current team. Warner and Smith are two of the biggest dickheads I’ve seen.

Hazelwood and Lyon are about all I have time for.

May 30, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boston Bruins, Boston Celtics
I don't think next years draft will be as good as this year's. In my opinion, this year's draft was the best NBA draft in 10 years quite easily.

I wouldn't be counting on the sixers having that Laker pick just yet either.

Doncic looks like the real deal. There is still a large element of risk there picking European kids and expecting them to translate from the FIBA game to the NBA. Some are home runs, some not so much.

Bagley isn't going to be the force in the NBA that he is in college without a jump shot. He won't be able to physically overpower opponents in the NBA like he is against adolescents in college. I have Ayton as a much higher ceiling prospect because he has amazing length and athleticism but can also step out and make a long ball.

Doggstats

Club Legend
May 21, 2011
On the toilet.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
76ers, LA Angels
I don't think next years draft will be as good as this year's. In my opinion, this year's draft was the best NBA draft in 10 years quite easily.

I wouldn't be counting on the sixers having that Laker pick just yet either.

Doncic looks like the real deal. There is still a large element of risk there picking European kids and expecting them to translate from the FIBA game to the NBA. Some are home runs, some not so much.

Bagley isn't going to be the force in the NBA that he is in college without a jump shot. He won't be able to physically overpower opponents in the NBA like he is against adolescents in college. I have Ayton as a much higher ceiling prospect because he has amazing length and athleticism but can also step out and make a long ball.

True, last years top end depth was amazing but the top 5 there's no comparison. Ball wouldn't probably even make the top 5 this upcoming draft. Even in this era you still can't go past potentially transcendent big men.

Yea there's always risk in drafting Euro's, but these days if anything Euro kids get severely underrated compared to US College players(KP, Giannis, Gobert, Jokic, etc). If you compared the busts of Euro and US College kids compared to where they were drafted it's night and day(LOLkafor's etc).

Which is what makes Doncic so impressive. Some US scouts even have him #1 in one of the strongest top 5's in decades. To be dominating professional grown men at just 18 is just crazy.

BTW the amazing top 5 of next draft is the reason you Boston fans will be crying on draft night :p. As every team will be tanking to try get a piece of that top 5 the dumb Lakers will be stupidly going at %100 trying to win meaningless games to attract FA's that will never come anyway. :D

King Harold

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 23, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Cleveland Indians
I’ve always thought this for a long time, but there’s nothing more pathetic than the A) media’s coverage of cricket in this country and B) the way the public talk about cricket. Especially the second part.

It’s extremely annoying to hear journalists bring up how Broad sending off Handscomb was wrong and ‘bullying’. It’s absolute rubbish. Every level of cricket I’ve ever seen or played has has atleast one big fast bowler who gets into the face of the batsman, I honestly think it’s the best part of the game. Didn’t hear anyone chirping up when Johnson was an absolute freight train last ashes. But now apparently it’s an issue.

The public getting into Broad is just weird. Is it cos of him not walking? Do they all remember Symons not walking and making a big ton? Steve Waugh not walking that probably saved his career? Literally every cricketer has done it with the exception of Gilchrist in my memory.

Steve Smith is a massive sook who as soon as something doesn’t go his way cracks the shits. Someone on his own team drops a catch? He looks at them like they just shagged his misses. Review go against him? Toys out of the cot again. But everyone loves him. Kohli does something tiny like sledge and everyone in the country wants to hang him. Both are ******s, but one is viewed as God and the other an a-hole.

It’s always been pretty bad, but never quite like this. Even seeing social media pages slate Alister Cook, do they not remember when he was basically unstoppable and was an ashes winning captain here? Something we haven’t done for almost 20 years, going to the other teams pitches and winning.

Then there’s the media who just completely ignore anything that happens outside of Aus.

Maybe I’m just getting older and realise almost all cricketers are dicks. As a kid I looked up to Martyn, Gilchrist, Hussey. I don’t see anyone near the quality of people in the current team. Warner and Smith are two of the biggest dickheads I’ve seen.

Dare I say it , the odd Bex wouldn't go astray LG.
Are they really that bad ?
All sides now are into this rediculous trash talk bs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dec 21, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Steve Smith is a massive sook who as soon as something doesn’t go his way cracks the shits. Someone on his own team drops a catch? He looks at them like they just shagged his misses. Review go against him? Toys out of the cot again. But everyone loves him. Kohli does something tiny like sledge and everyone in the country wants to hang him. Both are ******s, but one is viewed as God and the other an a-hole.

The public getting into Broad is awesome. It's what being a sports fan is about. He loves it too. Has openly said he enjoys the crowd banter. I love what he brings to the game and part of that is getting stuck into him.

Also, the Kholi/Smith situation is pretty much reversed in India. The Aussies are the worst and the Indians can do no wrong.

JEDi 44

Club Legend
Feb 16, 2016
bevo's house
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
footscray bulldogs

Brad Haddin was the most unsporting individual that ever lived. If anyone outside of Australia comes within 20% of his antics, the Aussie players and media go berserk.

May 30, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
True, last years top end depth was amazing but the top 5 there's no comparison. Ball wouldn't probably even make the top 5 this upcoming draft. Even in this era you still can't go past potentially transcendent big men.

Yea there's always risk in drafting Euro's, but these days if anything Euro kids get severely underrated compared to US College players(KP, Giannis, Gobert, Jokic, etc). If you compared the busts of Euro and US College kids compared to where they were drafted it's night and day(LOLkafor's etc).

Which is what makes Doncic so impressive. Some US scouts even have him #1 in one of the strongest top 5's in decades. To be dominating professional grown men at just 18 is just crazy.

BTW the amazing top 5 of next draft is the reason you Boston fans will be crying on draft night :p. As every team will be tanking to try get a piece of that top 5 the dumb Lakers will be stupidly going at %100 trying to win meaningless games to attract FA's that will never come anyway. :D
The top 15 of the draft just gone will s**t all over the next draft. No questions asked. Its extremely top-heavy and over-hyped.

Fultz - Tatum - Ball (yes I still think he'll be really good) - Fox - Markkanen - Dennis Smith - Even guys like John Collins, and Donovan Mitchell. This draft was ******* stacked.

For every potential doncic and porzingis there is a hezonja and bender. 14 teams passed on giannis.

The college system is still a better indicator. Euro basketball - especially Liga ACB when youre on one of the best teams is extremely fickle.

The Celtics have a lower minutes weighted average age than the sixers and are better now and will be better in the future. The real, better process is in green.

I do like Embiid and hope he can stay healthy though. He's basically a 7'3 pterodactyl, and boston and philly will be the two eastern contenders for the forseeable future once the lebron era comes to a close.

Last edited:
May 30, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Bagley’s jumper looks fine to me.
His 3 point shot, his long jumper, and his free throws are known weaknesses. He's only 35% from college 3 and 60% from the free throw line so far. At 6'11 230 he's able to overpower a lot of college athletes and get easy buckets at the rim. In the NBA at the 4 he's going to be playing against guys that size or bigger every second night. He'll go top 3 no doubt, but I think Ayton has better potential and is a better athlete.

I too watched the game against the gators...it was a lot of Bagley overpowering guys a foot smaller than he was at the rim. I'd like to see more of a post up game and more shooting ability before I'm 100% sold he'll be a superstar at NBA level.

Last edited:

LittleG

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Why is a guy pouring his beer over another guy news? How is that suspension worthy?
Lads are lads. Letting their hair down in a private gathering is what the team needs. The world is a stupid stupid place....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lindsay_Gilbee

Premiership Player
Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Embiid is very good and if he every gets over injuries he could be one of the best big men we’ve seen... but man he needs to shut up on social media. His talk with KAT is embarrassing.

Is it just me or is anyone else looking forward to Mitch Marsh failing dismally? Hope he bags a pair and gets f*cked in the bowling. The worst Aussie cricketer for some time yet continually picked for the team. What is on the pics he has of the selectors must be so heinous it doesn’t bear thinking about.

Jun 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
San Antonio, West Ham, Renegades
Is it just me or is anyone else looking forward to Mitch Marsh failing dismally? Hope he bags a pair and gets f*cked in the bowling. The worst Aussie cricketer for some time yet continually picked for the team. What is on the pics he has of the selectors must be so heinous it doesn’t bear thinking about.

I hope he does well but I understand why a lot of people aren’t wishing him well.

It really frustrates me that he keeps getting picked. He is clearly the best all rounder in shield cricket (he averages 34 with the bat and 26 with the ball in FC, not including his test matches) which are clearly the best numbers for any all rounder in state cricket. But it is so obviously clear that he wasn’t and probably still isn’t ready for test cricket.

The selectors by continually selecting him are setting him up to fail. He should’ve been dropped 10 tests in and gone back to state cricket for a year or two, worked on his deficiencies and scored a heap of runs and come back to test level ready to succeed. Instead they bring him back every time he has one good knock, he hasn’t had time to work on his weaknesses and he goes back to test cricket and goes out the way he always does, going to hard outside off early in his innings and nicking off.

It’d be great if he ended up being a decent all rounder at test level, it’d be such an asset to have. I can’t see him turning into that any time soon. I do like that he has signed up to play county cricket during the off season. It’s something that more players who are on the fringe of the test team should be doing. Worked wonders for Hussey and the like 15-20 years ago.

Golden_6

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 15, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Embiid is very good and if he every gets over injuries he could be one of the best big men we’ve seen... but man he needs to shut up on social media. His talk with KAT is embarrassing.
Really? You must be one of those people that doesn't want any athlete to have any personality whatsoever. For what it's worth, KAT and Embiid are very good friends.

I hope he does well but I understand why a lot of people aren’t wishing him well.

It really frustrates me that he keeps getting picked. He is clearly the best all rounder in shield cricket (he averages 34 with the bat and 26 with the ball in FC, not including his test matches) which are clearly the best numbers for any all rounder in state cricket. But it is so obviously clear that he wasn’t and probably still isn’t ready for test cricket.

The selectors by continually selecting him are setting him up to fail. He should’ve been dropped 10 tests in and gone back to state cricket for a year or two, worked on his deficiencies and scored a heap of runs and come back to test level ready to succeed. Instead they bring him back every time he has one good knock, he hasn’t had time to work on his weaknesses and he goes back to test cricket and goes out the way he always does, going to hard outside off early in his innings and nicking off.

It’d be great if he ended up being a decent all rounder at test level, it’d be such an asset to have. I can’t see him turning into that any time soon. I do like that he has signed up to play county cricket during the off season. It’s something that more players who are on the fringe of the test team should be doing. Worked wonders for Hussey and the like 15-20 years ago.

He makes me miss Shane Watson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back