the old chessnut. AFL vs NRL. which is more skillful?

Remove this Banner Ad

Firstly, if you take away your score for kickin, since its such a minor part of playing rl, the score is 44 - 45. So **** all difference.

The rl ball is bigger, lighter and has a rippled surface. Particularly with a bomb, the lightness of the ball means it's susceptible to to movement in the air, so it's harder to control the kick and judge how it's going to come down, with it moving around in the air.

Not going the whole nine yards on your post but thought I might just comment on these two quotes. How do you remove kickin', from FOOTBALL. By the very definition of the word, it requires a ball to make contact with a foot. Or do you wish to concede and admit that League is not football, and should in fact be called Handball?

Secondly, League went to the current ball, because it was decided after much testing, that it was easier to hold onto than the old leather ball, particularly in the wet, and that by doing so, it would lead to a reduction in the number of knock-ons that were then taking place. In other words, League players were consistently dropping the ball, which at the time was essentially the same size and feel as an Aussie rules ball, although slightly fatter. For a game that prides itself on ball control, at a time when the Swans were establishing themselves in Sydney, the League realised that they had to maintain that point of difference and give it to their supporters to hang their hats on.

No contest, Afl tests way more skill sets than NRL. Rugby is about being bigger than the other team and then throwing the ball away from goals. Interesting game. AFL players have to be good by hand and foot. They also have to be good in the air and at ground level, they do way more running off the ball and have to think about all directions as opposed to one. Every player has to be able to kick the ball to a direct target as opposed to just one or two players. People make the mistake of thinking rugby players are more skilful than afl because they think about how the game is played. Yes there are no rules in afl except don 't throw it but that doesn't mean they don't need to be better athletes. NRL is a more tactical game but AFL requires better athletes.

AFL by miles just look at Karmichael hunt and Folau they couldn't stand the test AFL throws at you and they were on big contracts, if they weren't willing to stick it out I think that proves everything

Could you imagine Man U or the New York Giants picking up someone from another sport and putting them straight into the top team.

That happened with Folau, Hunt and that Canadian hack.

Rest my case.

Edit: please don't bring up kickers in Gridiron, that would only be trolling.
Canadian hack??? You mean best contested mark in hte game for 2 years Mike Pyke?

Cross Country Bum Sniffing vs Cross Country Basketball.....More skill in Basketball but must be tougher to Bum Sniff

AFL easily. My High School had an 'excellence in rugby league' and is a powerhouse for the sport for all of the Greater Brisbane region. I was encouraged to try out for the program and compete against my peers and made it (didn't bother accepting)... never played any league at all besides about 10 minutes of it but had played aussie rules since I was 6. I was more skilful than all of the other blokes albeit a shitty tackle.

AFL easily. My High School had an 'excellence in rugby league' and is a powerhouse for the sport for all of the Greater Brisbane region. I was encouraged to try out for the program and compete against my peers and made it (didn't bother accepting)... never played any league at all besides about 10 minutes of it but had played aussie rules since I was 6. I was more skilful than all of the other blokes albeit a shitty tackle.

Best not to shower with the other guys if it makes you self-conscious.

Awareness a 10...Maybe when Byron Pickett was playing. Can pretty much get away with just looking forward now. Gone are the days of getting picked off 5mtrs from the ball...From any angle

Remove this Banner Ad

Back