Toast Maynard signs for 2 more years

Remove this Banner Ad

17 other clubs' midfields just shat their pants

Has there been any indication of interest from Adelaide? All I’ve seen is Crows supporters throwing up his name, nothing from anyone with sources suggesting that Adelaide asked for him in a deal for Lever etc, or that they’re even chasing him.

Is there ever an indication of interest in a lower level player this far out? It’s rare. I always go into any discussion with a SA based Adelaide supporter with eyes wide open and there was just enough speculation when we were supposedly in the hunt for Lever to spark something for me. By the sounds of things not so much for you. It’s a two sided discussion anyway and whilst I have a degree of confidence that they’d have been into him I’m 100% confident he wasn’t interested.

Great signs for the coach, despite our not performing there have been no departures in recent years that have not been forced

I’m not entirely sure why we should be taking something that should just be a given, and is the current norm, as a great sign for a coach? As you said most of them have been forced out by us anyway? It makes as much sense as people manufacturing off-season injuries as a negative on Buckley.

Last edited:
Is there ever an indication of interest in a lower level player this far out? It’s rare. I always go into any discussion with a SA based Adelaide supporter with eyes wide open and there was just enough speculation when we were supposedly in the hunt for Lever to spark something for me. By the sounds of things not so much for you. It’s a two sided discussion anyway and whilst I have a degree of confidence that they’d have been into him I’m 100% confident he wasn’t interested.

I’m not entirely sure why we should be taking something that should just be a given, and is the current norm, as a great sign for a coach? As you said most of them have been forced out by us anyway? It makes as much sense as people manufacturing off-season injuries as a negative on Buckley.
Usually when players don’t like a coach they look to leave, we haven’t played finals in 5 years...you could understand if players were discontent.

Usually when players don’t like a coach they look to leave, we haven’t played finals in 5 years...you could understand if players were discontent.

It wouldn’t be right of me to labour the point on this one too much in a positive thread so last comments from me, but I would suggest that the very first thing any coach/ manager/ boss does as soon as they enter a role is to establish that environment which we’re in agreeance Buckley has (at least outwardly). It’s not a sign of anything special just an individual in a leadership position doing their job.

If we’re looking for ways to pump up Buckley’s tyres re Maynard let’s look at areas that are more likely to be specifically linked to work he’s done. Areas like Maynard’s developing understanding of his role within the team, the growth in his defensive game, his emergence as a potential leader long term and a move into the midfield. These are areas we can judge the coach on in a positive manner not something that he just has to be getting right if he’s any chance to hold onto his job :thumbsu:

Usually there’s a little interest indicated from somewhere, usually someone who claims to have ties to the club. I was keeping a close eye on the trades and Adelaide board when we were in the hunt for Lever, as Maynard’s name had popped up a few times, but couldn’t find anything solid. Any time I questioned whether there was any indication Adelaide were actually looking at him it turned out that the suggestion had been made by an Adelaide fan with FS romance on the brain and no thought of where Maynard comes from or whether he’d be interested in going to SA (which I’m sure Adelaide heavily take in to account).

As you said, it’s subjective, but I saw only fan romanticism, nothing to indicate the Crows had any genuine interest in chasing him.

I must admit I was slightly worried he'd leave to go to the Demons, especially given his brother is (was?) there as a rookie. Good to have him sign on. Looking forward to watching him develop further this coming season.
Honestly not worried about losing any player we want to keep to Melbourne. There’s something unconvincing about them, despite the talent they’ve assembled, and given the recent training camp drama I don’t think the players and coach are on the same page either. I reckon we can overtake them in the next 12 months.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Honestly not worried about losing any player we want to keep to Melbourne. There’s something unconvincing about them, despite the talent they’ve assembled, and given the recent training camp drama I don’t think the players and coach are on the same page either. I reckon we can overtake them in the next 12 months.
I really hope you're right.

I know given our current state its a sad reason to celebrate. But knocking Melbourne over Rd 23 and causing them to miss finals made me unbelievably happy.
I find their playing group easy to hate.
The way them and their fans carried on after the QB match was sickening.
The undeserved arrogance from their up and coming stars who haven't proven anything yet tops it all off for me.

The games I'm desperate to win next year (not that I'm not desperate to win every game). Melbourne, Carlton, Hawthorn, and St Kilda. All their fans think their teams are going to waltz past us (if they haven't already) next year or the year after. I want to see us put them back in their place.

I know given our current state its a sad reason to celebrate. But knocking Melbourne over Rd 23 and causing them to miss finals made me unbelievably happy.
The undeserved arrogance from their up and coming stars who haven't proven anything yet tops it all off for me.

The games I'm desperate to win next year (not that I'm not desperate to win every game). Melbourne, Carlton, Hawthorn, and St Kilda. All their fans think their teams are going to waltz past us (if they haven't already) next year or the year after. I want to see us put them back in their place.

This is the most Heated the Dees vs Pies Rivalry has been since the 50's

I think Melbourne under-performed this year and expect them to make finals - mind you the field is so tight now. They have very good run from defence and a strong group. They are w***ers though.

Great to see him locked in, only issue should have been longer but very positive.
I don’t see that as an issue at all. The deal expires in his 6th year, so he won’t be a FA yet. Long term deals are for FA eligible players who are getting monster offers and players you’re trying to lure from elsewhere. 2-3 year contract extensions are perfect.

I would honestly argue that they're not a tally "ahead" of us to start with, probably only even. We should've beaten them both times this year.

I would honestly argue that they're not a tally "ahead" of us to start with, probably only even. We should've beaten them both times this year.
The ladder says they’re ahead of us currently, and that’s what matters at the end of the day

Remove this Banner Ad

Back