Early Christmas gift: Hugh Re-signs

Remove this Banner Ad

Unfortunately Witherden won't get sewn up.

He won't be a lion for life, the most we can hope for is a 1-2 year contract extension and if success is close maybe a year longer. I'll eat my socks if he is still with us in 5 years time. TBH I'm expecting a trade at the end of the year.

Not an indictement of Brisbane as a club we are a fantastic place to be around but witho doesn't like Brisbane city and misses his mates at home. (Strong pull from his girlfriend at home as well).

It's well known to the coaching stuff Witherdens dissatisfaction with Brisbane city (not the club) as the season draws on I believe games played will be a clear indication on whether he is committing to the club for longer or not.

It's no secret he didn't come back in the best of shape. Allthough well liked by team mates and coaching staff alike he unfortunately just doesn't fit well with life up here. Both him and the club knows he'll get the best out of himself back in Victoria.
Dear god, we're in for a long year on the witherden front, I can feel it.

He won't be a lion for life, the most we can hope for is a 1-2 year contract extension and if success is close maybe a year longer. I'll eat my socks if he is still with us in 5 years time. TBH I'm expecting a trade at the end of the year.

Not an indictement of Brisbane as a club we are a fantastic place to be around but witho doesn't like Brisbane city and misses his mates at home. (Strong pull from his girlfriend at home as well).

It's well known to the coaching stuff Witherdens dissatisfaction with Brisbane city (not the club) as the season draws on I believe games played will be a clear indication on whether he is committing to the club for longer or not.

It's no secret he didn't come back in the best of shape. Allthough well liked by team mates and coaching staff alike he unfortunately just doesn't fit well with life up here. Both him and the club knows he'll get the best out of himself back in Victoria.
Meh. I have no idea how it will play out and would love for him to stay but it's nice that my initial reaction was that it would be more of a reflection of him than us.

For many years when players left if you were truly honest you had to look at the club first, but much like the Schache situation I think we can finally look at the club as a positive place to be and that players leaving will be more a reflection of them or that they simply didn't click with the club/City.

Still hope he stays though!

Dear god, we're in for a long year on the witherden front, I can feel it.

Future Witherden needs to turn up and tell him that in 5 years, his girlfriend will be a different person and his school friendships will have grown apart. The facebook age would be a huge tease for these boys.

Assuming you're not full of s**t, why would you post this on a public forum? In what world would Witherden and whichever source told you this be okay with this being so freely leaked?

How is the lifestyle so different in Brisbane then any other capital city?

Charlie Cameron came here cause the focus isn't on afl 24/7 as it is in Adelaide. Easy to see that some might like more of the accolades, fame and opportunities that occur in the southern states.

Meh. I have no idea how it will play out and would love for him to stay but it's nice that my initial reaction was that it would be more of a reflection of him than us.

For many years when players left if you were truly honest you had to look at the club first, but much like the Schache situation I think we can finally look at the club as a positive place to be and that players leaving will be more a reflection of them or that they simply didn't click with the club/City.

Still hope he stays though!
Unfortunately, whether it is the clubs fault or not, it doesn't really matter. We may still be losing a quality player. If it is not homesickness, then it is not fitting in with lifestyle etc. Really can't see how we can ever keep enough quality players to win a premiership if we keep losing them (Schache, Aish, Witherden?)

Assuming you're not full of s**t, why would you post this on a public forum? In what world would Witherden and whichever source told you this be okay with this being so freely leaked?

Probably not something that should be put out there. Everything is positive at the moment and all this does is bring us all down and eventually create a self fulfilling prophesy.

Probably not something that should be put out there. Everything is positive at the moment and all this does is bring us all down and eventually create a self fulfilling prophesy.

Agreed. It honestly reads as a little desperate to sound 'in the know'.

Unfortunately, whether it is the clubs fault or not, it doesn't really matter. We may still be losing a quality player. If it is not homesickness, then it is not fitting in with lifestyle etc. Really can't see how we can ever keep enough quality players to win a premiership if we keep losing them (Schache, Aish, Witherden?)
Well Schache and Aish aren’t quality players so slow down. A random on BF has made a statement, doesn’t make it fact.

The simple matter is that all clubs lose players not just Brisbane.

Draft lottery is even more so when you win the lottery and another club benefits.

Just give us a chance to be glad we managed to hold onto Berry and Cluggers though. What a win that was.

Looking twelve months back, of all the draftees at the time Witherden was the one who's excitement to be drafted by Brisbane was most evident. He displayed natural exuberance and joy to be drafted because there was a chance he may be overlooked due to long term injury concerns. Impression at the time given by the Witherden camp is that they were grateful and honored to be with Brisbane under the Fagan/Noble direction and a long career with the Lions was on the cards. So, to read that he has not bought-in to the club's future direction is disappointing. However, we are at a stage now as a club when a young player shows resistance to buy-in to the culture we can easily move on or move him on. If Witherden is reluctant I would not be surprised if the club has already moved past him and is concentrating on developing with greater intensity and focus those that have committed for the long journey. The club would already know and would have heard the rumors that Witherden's father has a significant influence on young Witho's dissatisfaction with Brisbane. Geelong is where the father wants his son to be. (allegedly, so that he can swan-around and feel important on his son's AFL status in his little community, so the yarns go.)

With McCluggage committing for the long haul it leaves only Witherden of his draft year to extend. So the longer this s**t goes the greater the chance that there is truth to the rumors. If that is the case and we are to loose Witherden I would not be unhappy to see the club develop Allisson, Cox, Hinge ahead of Witho. IMO, there is no benefit to us as a club developing him at the expense of those that are here for the long term.

I would have thought the loyal footy fans on this forum would rather know these things than not.

Like the majority who share there tidbits on here I appreciate them so when I have something to share either positive or negative I always share it. Last year as soon as I spoke to some of the boys and heard how amazing Fagan was etc. how great the club was going I happily shared it. Unfortunately there's both good and bad and as amazing as the Lions are at the moment as an organisation there are still going to be some bad news

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looking twelve months back, of all the draftees at the time Witherden was the one who's excitement to be drafted by Brisbane was most evident. He displayed natural exuberance and joy to be drafted because there was a chance he may be overlooked due to long term injury concerns. Impression at the time given by the Witherden camp is that they were grateful and honored to be with Brisbane under the Fagan/Noble direction and a long career with the Lions was on the cards. So, to read that he has not bought-in to the club's future direction is disappointing. However, we are at a stage now as a club when a young player shows resistance to buy-in to the culture we can easily move on or move him on. If Witherden is reluctant I would not be surprised if the club has already moved past him and is concentrating on developing with greater intensity and focus those that have committed for the long journey. The club would already know and would have heard the rumors that Witherden's father has a significant influence on young Witho's dissatisfaction with Brisbane. Geelong is where the father wants his son to be. (allegedly, so that he can swan-around and feel important on his son's AFL status in his little community, so the yarns go.)

With McCluggage committing for the long haul it leaves only Witherden of his draft year to extend. So the longer this s**t goes the greater the chance that there is truth to the rumors. If that is the case and we are to loose Witherden I would not be unhappy to see the club develop Allisson, Cox, Hinge ahead of Witho. IMO, there is no benefit to us as a club developing him at the expense of those that are here for the long term.
It's not he hasn't brought into the future direction. That is the only thing keeping him here. It's the City of Brisbane not the club of Brisbane. There is no Ill will towards the club. He has great friends and relationships at the club.

Success will see him stick around in the short term but long term he'll end up back in Victoria.

Unlike guys like Hugh & Berry who both love the club and the city.

I repeat this isn't an indictment on the club. Our club is at its best in a decade. On field and off field we have buy in from all players it is a fantastic place to be. The one thing though we still cannot control is how players fit into the city. Unfortunately that's a variable we cannot control.

Shame a thread about such fantastic news has been bought down by unrelated player rumours.

Just enjoy a fantastic re-signing here and now and worry about Witho later. He knows we all want him and hope he stays but for now, let’s celebrate huge re-signing news!

'The city is not up to his standards'.... paaa..lease.... he is from geelong

The pull would be to come back and play in front of 40k cats fans at kadinia park each week, not Brissy being a sub par city.

As his stocks increase, so do his options, he will have a decision to make.

If he leaves, thats life, hopefully we are compensated fairly.

Wrapped on the Clugga news really is a great sign.

On Without sad if true, 12 months is a long time in football so we will see what happens. If he wants to go and his Dad is so keen on Geelong hope that we make them pay through the nose!! A superdraft is a good time to get some extra currency.

Time to celebrate the positives Clugga and Berry both 200 gamers

I would have thought the loyal footy fans on this forum would rather know these things than not.

Like the majority who share there tidbits on here I appreciate them so when I have something to share either positive or negative I always share it. Last year as soon as I spoke to some of the boys and heard how amazing Fagan was etc. how great the club was going I happily shared it. Unfortunately there's both good and bad and as amazing as the Lions are at the moment as an organisation there are still going to be some bad news

There are plenty of things that I've kept to myself as they simply don't belong on a forum for journalists to vulture and fans to get angry over.

If you can't see why posting s**t like this, in a re-signing thread of our pick 3 no less, then it's best you just quit posting rumors you hear that you pass off as truth in general - good or bad.

Fantastic! One of our biggest re-signings in a while. Shows we're making some real steps as a club.

This is a thread meant to be dedicated to Hughs re-signing. Lets keep it that way.
I am sure in good time there will be a thread dedicated to those that are yet to re-sign.
Lets live in a perfect world for now and bath ourselves in the glory of what is a very important signing for the club.

An extension of 3 years is indicative of the faith Clugga has in the club's process. He and Berry both love it up here; in hindsight it was truly a blessing that we drafted the pair together.

As was said on SEN the other day, the importance of culture for clubs like ours can't be understated considering a lot of our list is away from family, childhood friends etc; there's little support to fall back on for the interstate players if they're not content in their workplace. Hats off to Fages and his team for building a very strong environment in such a short period of time. This trend of extensions is a reflection of the impact the man has had since his appointment, not just on the field but off it.

There are plenty of things that I've kept to myself as they simply don't belong on a forum for journalists to vulture and fans to get angry over.

If you can't see why posting s**t like this, in a re-signing thread of our pick 3 no less, then it's best you just quit posting rumors you hear that you pass off as truth in general - good or bad.
Nah mate I'm going to keep posting what I know and I hope others do to. If this seriously gets you that upset then maybe you're the problem not what you're reading.

Especially in a time such as the off season where footy news is so few and far it's nice to have some discussion and information on the club. You call it rumour I know it's much more than that, I believe my posting history on matters such as player movement has been pretty accurate because I get my information from players past & present.

There's definitely more positives at the club then focusing on one player whom in the grand scheme of things isn't that important and has a lot more to prove before we have any meltdowns on this board over the fact we will probably end up losing him.

Nah mate I'm going to keep posting what I know and I hope others do to. If this seriously gets you that upset then maybe you're the problem not what you're reading.

Especially in a time such as the off season where footy news is so few and far it's nice to have some discussion and information on the club. You call it rumour I know it's much more than that, I believe my posting history on matters such as player movement has been pretty accurate because I get my information from players past & present.

There's definitely more positives at the club then focusing on one player whom in the grand scheme of things isn't that important and has a lot more to prove before we have any meltdowns on this board over the fact we will probably end up losing him.
I wouldn't say that he "isn't that important". I would rate him one of the top 5 best young talents at our club. In no particular order: Hippy, Andrews, Berry, McCluggage, Witherden. Before he came along, our kick ins were atrocious, he is a big reason why we were better toward the back end of the season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back