Preview Who will finish higher - Melbourne, Western Bulldogs, St Kilda or Hawthorn

Who will finish higher?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Bazza97

Premiership Player
Nov 17, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Reckon these four teams are pretty evenly matched atm and are the most likely teams to make the jump into the top 8 in 2018 after finishing outside of it in 2017. They would all have finals aspirations next season and for me any of these sides could finish higher on the ladder. There was a similar thread to this one last year which included the Dees, Saints and the Hawks so I've decided to do a continuation of that but have included the Bulldogs as well. Discuss.

I'm confident Melbourne will play finals, would take a very good year by the others to beat them. Hawks I'm not sure of and the best chance just because I can't predict them. I get Hodge is at the endof hiscareer and his value now is leadership and onfield coaching for the Lions, I don't know what impact his abscence will have in particular.

I'm confident Melbourne will play finals, would take a very good year by the others to beat them. Hawks I'm not sure of and the best chance just because I can't predict them. I get Hodge is at the endof hiscareer and his value now is leadership and onfield coaching for the Lions, I don't know what impact his abscence will have in particular.
Hodge’s knowledge and leadership was really needed with so many youngsters coming into the backhalf to cover injuries last year, but with Birchall, Frawley and Stratton returning this year the defence won’t be as green.
He’ll be good for the lions doing exactly what he did for Sicily, Burton, Hardwick and Brand in 2017.

Deez the biggest-plus side. 2017 will motivate big time in 2018.
Hawks overrated due to the Clarkson factor, the cult of the iconic coach. There are no guarantees he will win another flag or repeat past success.
Dogs could be a dark horse, though getting Cloke in last year showed how poor the post GF decision making and team assessment was. Are they thinking more clearly now?
Saints - unknown, like to see them make it but their coach worries me - unimaginative and uninspiring.

The Dees will finish the highest, but im unsure if any of these teams will play finals, as imo only the eagles will drop out from this years top 8.

Deez the biggest-plus side. 2017 will motivate big time in 2018.
Hawks overrated due to the Clarkson factor, the cult of the iconic coach. There are no guarantees he will win another flag or repeat past success.
Dogs could be a dark horse, though getting Cloke in last year showed how poor the post GF decision making and team assessment was. Are they thinking more clearly now?
Saints - unknown, like to see them make it but their coach worries me - unimaginative and uninspiring.

Not sure Cloke had anything to do with our form last season. We went from being the dominant clearance/contested ball team in 2016 to being mid table in those stats in 2017.

Across the board we were down in most areas.

With the bloke who's lead the Dogs goal kicking the last 3 seasons now running around for another team it'll be interesting to see if they can find a forward target to replace him.

With the bloke who's lead the Dogs goal kicking the last 3 seasons now running around for another team it'll be interesting to see if they can find a forward target to replace him.

Interesting a few years ago Essendon lost a guy who had just won back to back goal kicking awards. Luckily they had a young left footed high draft pick key forward who has come on ok.

Hopefully the dogs have similar fortunes

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really hard to tell, was speaking to a mate of mine today and he is a Melbourne fan, he is absolutely filthy on the training camp fiasco. Told me that that Melbourne Storm have done it 16 years straight for twice as long.

I was behind us for that decision to pull out, but hearing that Storm story and knowing they have an elite culture really concerned me re Melbourne.

I've actually got no idea what they will do next year, no idea at all. I think the WB will finish higher than than St Kilda and Hawthorn, with St Kilda above the Hawks. As for Melbourne? Take a punt....

Interesting a few years ago Essendon lost a guy who had just won back to back goal kicking awards. Luckily they had a young left footed high draft pick key forward who has come on ok.

Hopefully the dogs have similar fortunes
Yeah and we had to wait a bit for him to come on. Hope the Dogs don't lost time in their window.

Yeah and we had to wait a bit for him to come on. Hope the Dogs don't lost time in their window.

Windows are just a footy folklore construct. 2016 and to a lesser extent 2017 showed that. Every year is a new year.

There are too many factors to a premiership to simply say there’s a window.

Plus you don’t hope. Not really. If you are hoping the bulldogs make use of their “window” all you are hoping is Essendon lose their own chance.

Melbourne for mine. Lever plus full seasons from Viney, Gawn and Hogan they are top 4 material.

Bulldogs pushing the 8 with Hawthorn and the Saints not playing finals next year

Really hard to tell, was speaking to a mate of mine today and he is a Melbourne fan, he is absolutely filthy on the training camp fiasco. Told me that that Melbourne Storm have done it 16 years straight for twice as long.

I was behind us for that decision to pull out, but hearing that Storm story and knowing they have an elite culture really concerned me re Melbourne.

I've actually got no idea what they will do next year, no idea at all. I think the WB will finish higher than than St Kilda and Hawthorn, with St Kilda above the Hawks. As for Melbourne? Take a punt....
I think injury to key players hurt the Demons last year. Losing Gawn undoubtedly made it harder for your mids, and Jones leadership as well. It put a lot of pressure on players like Oliver and Petracca who are both young. That experience will probably help season them next year though.
Every team has injuries, believe me our club knows that, but key injuries to a developing side can be debilitating. Belief can be a fragile thing in a young group.

Back