Mod. Notice What do you want to see on the Geelong Board in 2018?

Remove this Banner Ad

Still a few too many posts responding to perceived personalities rather than the actual arguments put forward but it was overall much better this year. Perhaps the measures put forward at the start of last year such as the pledge should be redone at the start of this year again to ensure things dont drift backwards.

The use of gifs in place of an argument was almost completely eradicated this year too which was a big plus. Although I do feel like Im no longer up to date on all the best gifs going around.

I like the banter between opposition supporters and geelong supporters. Perhaps a thread where opposition supporters can go all out on their views about geelong with no threats of bans if their views are a little strong (unless ofcourse its violates the usual standards of big footy). It could also encourage opposition supporters to write reviews on which geelong players played well or poorly and how we did overall. This might help reduce the echo chamber effect that tends to flow through all team boards as well as result in less geelong fans arguing with each other. The geelong board could be a bit of a leader in this area.

Still a few too many posts responding to perceived personalities rather than the actual arguments put forward but it was overall much better this year. Perhaps the measures put forward at the start of last year such as the pledge should be redone at the start of this year again to ensure things dont drift backwards.

The use of gifs in place of an argument was almost completely eradicated this year too which was a big plus. Although I do feel like Im no longer up to date on all the best gifs going around.

I like the banter between opposition supporters and geelong supporters. Perhaps a thread where opposition supporters can go all out on their views about geelong with no threats of bans if their views are a little strong (unless ofcourse its violates the usual standards of big footy). It could also encourage opposition supporters to write reviews on which geelong players played well or poorly and how we did overall. This might help reduce the echo chamber effect that tends to flow through all team boards as well as result in less geelong fans arguing with each other. The geelong board could be a bit of a leader in this area.
Good calls.

Happy to reignite the pledge. It did seem to be well received on the whole and those that bought in seemed to make more effort in its spirit.

Lol @ gifs. Vale JUBJUB

Your last point is meant to be what the banter thread is about but it did seem to get too sledgey and not so much genuine contribution to discussion debate. Maybe we just need to be more inviting to our non-Geelong visitors in our previews/post-mortems? It would have to be on the basis of seeking genuine discussion and there always needs to be some level of respect when posting on an opposition board. Part of the problem can be our own fans saying “piss off troll” to anything critical an opposition poster says. Open to suggestions on how to take this forward.

It would have to be on the basis of seeking genuine discussion and there always needs to be some level of respect when posting on an opposition board. Part of the problem can be our own fans saying “piss off troll” to anything critical an opposition poster says. Open to suggestions on how to take this forward.
This happens on every board. Wouldn’t the only way to prevent it from happening further mean changing the board rules and make it an intractable offence so it stops?

The only way I can see opposition supporters being taken seriously on this board is if they include THIS IS NOT A TROLL in their post

Good calls.

Happy to reignite the pledge. It did seem to be well received on the whole and those that bought in seemed to make more effort in its spirit.

Lol @ gifs. Vale JUBJUB

Your last point is meant to be what the banter thread is about but it did seem to get too sledgey and not so much genuine contribution to discussion debate. Maybe we just need to be more inviting to our non-Geelong visitors in our previews/post-mortems? It would have to be on the basis of seeking genuine discussion and there always needs to be some level of respect when posting on an opposition board. Part of the problem can be our own fans saying “piss off troll” to anything critical an opposition poster says. Open to suggestions on how to take this forward.
agree at the moment we largely attract the trolls who want to sling monkey poo and then leave after dropping their bombs. Finding a way to attract a lot of the good opposition supporters who like to give constructive feedback on a game from an opposition or neutral supporters perspective is more challenging. Inviting a couple of posters from the opposition board to post after a game in the first couple of weeks could get the concept rolling and if it works then it should eventually just flow naturally without the need of invites. Changing the heading to sound a bit more formal then banter might also help. Not that there is anything wrong with keeping the banter side as well though. Some of us also like to throw the monkey poo back.

agree at the moment we largely attract the trolls who want to sling monkey poo and then leave after dropping their bombs. Finding a way to attract a lot of the good opposition supporters who like to give constructive feedback on a game from an opposition or neutral supporters perspective is more challenging. Inviting a couple of posters from the opposition board to post after a game in the first couple of weeks could get the concept rolling and if it works then it should eventually just flow naturally without the need of invites. Changing the heading to sound a bit more formal then banter might also help. Not that there is anything wrong with keeping the banter side as well though. Some of us also like to throw the monkey poo back.
Yep, the invite would be the way to go. I’ll try to either do so myself or to ask for others to call in quality opposition supporters they know.

not much good having opposition supporters when more than half the board cant handle criticism against the club

they'll just be chased off

not much good having opposition supporters when more than half the board cant handle criticism against the club

they'll just be chased off

I haven't seen you chased off or sanctioned and your constantly whining about the club.

I haven't seen you chased off or sanctioned and your constantly whining about the club.

“Whining about the club” is a pretty broad and useless euphemism. Being dubious about certain players, and having some measure of disappointment in the last six years of finals results is not whining. They’re not necessarily unrelated either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have thick skin and i know not to cross the line. I still get posts of mine deleted from time to time.

An opposition supporter is an easy target especially if their views differ from the popular opinion. I've seen plenty chased out before (non trolls).

Whining about the club” is a pretty broad and useless euphemism. Being dubious about certain players, and having some measure of disappointment in the last six years of finals results is not whining. They’re not necessarily unrelated either.

A moot point really, but obviously one you felt needed to be made. :thumbsu:

Carry on....

I have thick skin and i know not to cross the line. I still get posts of mine deleted from time to time.

An opposition supporter is an easy target especially if their views differ from the popular opinion. I've seen plenty chased out before (non trolls).

!00% correct.

I also have to agree that at times I have seen unfair criticism of posters from other clubs here who have ventured to express a criticism of the club. Its a risky business venturing to other boards, but I think we are more tolerant than many other boards on this site.

But that may be a rose colored glasses belief on my part.

Some footy would be good wouldn't it.
tenor.gif

More people agreeing with me. Comments like:

"Good one, Reg."

"Even though my previous post is diametrically opposed to what you just said, I now agree with you. Thanks, Reg."

"Bugger the facts Reg, I'm on your side on this."

It would help my self esteem
Good post Reg. :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back