Cummins Overrated?

Demosthenes

Premiership Player
Jun 9, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Worst strike rate and average of all our bowlers so far this series. Has struggled to lead the attack this Test. At least he's been economical.

I mean, I rate him, but he doesn't get nearly as much stick as someone like Starc - which seems odd given their respective returns.

StillAtLarge

Norm Smith Medallist
May 12, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I suspect he'll bowl well this morning. Was probably our best fast bowler in Brisbane & Adelaide (1st innings) and saved our bacon a few times with the bat. Is normally good at extracting something out of lifeless wickets so today should be his bread & butter if he can get his pace up

Swanny69

Club Legend
Jan 17, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Worst strike rate and average of all our bowlers so far this series. Has struggled to lead the attack this Test. At least he's been economical.

I mean, I rate him, but he doesn't get nearly as much stick as someone like Starc - which seems odd given their respective returns.

Gun. Hard as a cats head, great presence / body language and never stops competing, has all the required attributes of a 300+ wicket sub 30 ave. test bowler. Also has chosen to take the tougher option as a batter in terms of building his innings rather than simply chancing his arm. Think Andy Bichel with a little more pace and bounce (for me that is high praise).

His stats are not representative of his performance (subcontinent .. then having to split the poles with Hazelwood and the tail killer Starc) though I do think he will learn with experience to convert his performances into more wickets. Irrespective his impact on the bottom line of recent team performance is far greater than his numbers.

Personally I do think he looks like he has tired physically a little after a big 9 months. Will be better for an off season (if he gets one) to freshen up and rebuild some core strength.

Demosthenes

Premiership Player
Jun 9, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Was pretty crook yesterday and did well to put in a shift in tough conditions.

Has bowled very well this series as part of a very successful attack. Definitely has done his job.

/thread
I hear what you're saying, but this board seems to overrate bowlers who keep things tight and underrate bowlers who take wickets. People have had nothing but praise for him, but he has quite clearly been the worst of the quartet.

I mean, a bowler with as many tools as he has should really be doing better than a strike rate of 75. Maybe his lack of first class experience showing?

Last edited:
May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen

Who do you rate?

Oct 6, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Sixers, Exers, GWS Womens
I hear what you're saying, but this board seems to overrate bowlers who keep things tight and underrate bowlers who take wickets. People have had nothing but praise for him, but he has quite clearly been the worst of the quartet.

I mean, a bowler with as many tools as he has should really be doing better than a strike rate of 75. Maybe his lack of first class experience showing?
He wasn’t expected to be the best.
The other 3 have been in the test squad for 3+ years

Apr 1, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Terrible thread. Was clearly our best pacer in the first two tests, despite the spoils not going his way. Bowled very well in tandem with Lyon and was relentlessly accurate. Got a bit carried away with short stuff sometimes, but that is largely the captain's instruction. Was visibly sick yesterday, and it was a good effort to even bowl.

Snake Charmer

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 11, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Minnesota Timberwolves
Mitch Marsh got 20 odd tests before showing much. Cummins has shown plenty in half that

Apr 1, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
This sort of piffle is what I am talking about.
Why? Starc was bowling tripe to the top order and Hazlewood was clearly underdone in the first two tests. Cummins spell on the 4th night in Adelaide was an incredible momentum shifting effort, culminating in him going through Malan.

I enjoy watching Cummins bowling a lot more than Starc, as he is a thinking bowler who can execute plans. Just needs the experience to not go for the kill too soon or before he has completely set someone up.

Simple Jack

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 25, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Webber, Ricciardo, NE Patriots
With an 18 year old Cummins and an early 20s Pattinson (both were miles ahead of Starc as test bowlers) both bowling brilliantly in their early games I thought we were on the verge of witnessing one of the all time great fast bowling duo's. Sadly both have been absolutely smashed by injury.

Cummins doesn't look as good as he does but with a few more injury free series' hopefully he can get more confidence in his body and return to his best.

Back