2018 Best Rookie

Remove this Banner Ad

GoGrows

Team Captain
Sep 12, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I deliberately havent called it Rising Star as I dont want the guys that debuted last yr like Witherden and Graham to be included.

1. Which 2017 Draftee will have the greatest impact in 2018?

2. Which 2017 Draftee will end up as the best player from the Draft?

3. Which 2017 Draftee will we wonder why they weren't taken earlier?

1. Opportunity is the big one here. Its not easy for rookies to feature heavily under Lyon. So im not sure Brayshaw or Cerra will get huge exposure in 2018. Dow will get games but its not easy for a rookie inside midfielder to do well early, Oliver did it, but he's a rarity. For me i think its between LDU and Higgins. LDU has a ready made body and NM desperately need mids. He can play a bit up forward too.

2. Cam Rayner

3. Jack Higgins.

My guess:

Jack Higgins (Richmond)

Luke Davies-Uniacke (North Melbourne)

Charlie Constable (Geelong), Nathan Murphy (Collingwood) or Darcy Fogarty (Adelaide).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. Paddy Dow - Should play very early on (barring any injury set backs), he is an impact player and I can see him having an impact for the Blues in his rookie season
2. Andrew Brayshaw - Like Dow I think that he will play very only on and has all the tools to be a very good long term player, has leadership qualities as well, think that he will be a beauty
3. Charlie Constable - Based on projections coming into the draft he was a bit of a slider on draft night, he is a natural footballer and has a prototype body for a modern day mid, my big concern with him is that he lacks a yard of pace, seems to have the footy smarts to counter that though, I think after a couple of years in the system he will start to be spoken of as a guy who should have been picked much earlier then he did

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

`
3. Charlie Constable - Based on projections coming into the draft he was a bit of a slider on draft night, he is a natural footballer and has a prototype body for a modern day mid, my big concern with him is that he lacks a yard of pace, seems to have the footy smarts to counter that though, I think after a couple of years in the system he will start to be spoken of as a guy who should have been picked much earlier then he did

His endurance is a bigger issue than pace. Has a very poor tank.

`

His endurance is a bigger issue than pace. Has a very poor tank.

He might have a poor tank atm but that can at least be improved upon as he develops in the system, whereas a lack of pace can’t really be improved.

He didn’t test at the combine but his endurance testing results at the start of the year were below average compared to other TAC Cup mids

Obvious is Tim Kelly because he is mature aged and ready to play that Motlop role at Geelong.

From the TAC Cup boys I'll say Andrew Brayshaw who should slot straight in at Fremantle and play as part of the best 22 from early if fit

Luke Davies Uniacke, I've always been a big wrap for Davies Uniacke.

Dylan Moore, he should've been second round draft. Arrived to a good club that can use and develop him well.

Darcy Fogarty and Higgins as steals of the first round.

Rookie smokey is David Mirra, if they want a Hodge replacement to marshall the defence, look no further if he can force his way in. Added bonus is that he knows the Hawks systems inside out coming from Box Hill.

Last edited:
He might have a poor tank atm but that can at least be improved upon as he develops in the system, whereas a lack of pace can’t really be improved.

He didn’t test at the combine but his endurance testing results at the start of the year were below average compared to other TAC Cup mids
He did the time trial a week or so before the draft along with Rayner and Fogarty and I don't think he's finished it yet!

Seriously though, even Rayner beat him that day. His tank looks to be a mile off it at this stage, which would be one of the main reasons he slid so far.

Having no tank or speed worked for Sam Mitchell though!

1. Opportunity is the big one here. Its not easy for rookies to feature heavily under Lyon. So im not sure Brayshaw or Cerra will get huge exposure in 2018. Dow will get games but its not easy for a rookie inside midfielder to do well early, Oliver did it, but he's a rarity. For me i think its between LDU and Higgins. LDU has a ready made body and NM desperately need mids. He can play a bit up forward too.

As you say, opportunity will account for plenty and hence;

1. LDU should get plenty of opportunity from the get-go. North will be keen to get him up and about for round 1.

2. Reckon Brayshaw will be admired, but genuinely see Dow as being the most damaging.

3. Probably Higgins as no doubt some taken before him will fail, but Higgins will always be thereabouts.

1.LDU
2.LDU
3. Hard one but thought Richmond got a good pick with there first. Jack Higgins looks a decent player and was surprised he was picked up so late.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back