Trivia time!

May 8, 2007
vic
AFL Club
Richmond
Wayne Clark.

That's it.

Came in when we were Packerized - bowled straight, good length, medium pace. Put the Fast Bowler Fear of God into absolutely no one. But reliable and handy.

Good player - never a champ. As soon as Lillee, Thomson, Pascoe, Walker came back, he was gone. Plus we found Hoggy.

Interestingly, the overall all-nation wicket record-holder without a 5-fer is Mike Hendrick - for his description, see above. Same type.

May 8, 2007
vic
AFL Club
Richmond
How many bowlers have missed a test hat trick due to a dropped catch. I don't know the answer.
I remember Warney dropped one off Fleming.

Not sure - Geoff Cope (English Offie) came sort-of close.

Took 2-in2 - next ball, snick to slip, Brearley (good slipper) takes it. Everyone jumps around excited - Brearly says 'You know - I don't know if it carried or not'. Batsman recalled.

Cope's debut test, as well.

worbod

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2008
Bendigo
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liverpool
Let's see - they thumped us in the 1880s pretty regularly - we started evening things up by the 1900s - so we probably drew level in about....

1921?

Correct. After the fourth Test of the 1920-21 series finished on February 16, England were ahead by 40 wins to 39. We then won the fifth Test to draw level and have not been headed since.

Apr 18, 2011
Japan
AFL Club
Fremantle
Mckenzie was an organiser/liaison manager for the tour.

Next:

Everyone knows Shane Warne has made the most runs for Australia without making a century.
Who took the most wickets for Australia without taking a five-for?
Wayne Clark?
Edit- sniped by Scotland. Note to self- read thread before posting.

May 8, 2007
vic
AFL Club
Richmond
Correct. After the fourth Test of the 1920-21 series finished on February 16, England were ahead by 40 wins to 39. We then won the fifth Test to draw level and have not been headed since.

OK - that was a pure fluke guess. I thought it would be somewhere between 1900 and 1940, so I picked the middle. Not many people remember how dominant England were aganst us in the 19th century (funny that - I was there!).

We've always had an advantage in 'tests won' because up to 1940, tests in Australia were played to a finish, whole England was restricted to 3, 4, and eventually 5 days. Even after the war, in Australia we played 6-day tests up to 58/59. That (plus our more reliable weather) meant the side that dominated a series in Aus won 3-1. 4-0 etc, while in England, the series results were 1-0, 2-1 etc,

We're not quite as dominant as you think when you see the head-to-head 143-108. Of the 93 draws, only 27 were in Aus, while 66 were in England. On the overall tally, we're still behind on tests played in England.

Back