Trivia time!

Remove this Banner Ad

Not a question but trivial nonetheless, the only person apart from Rod Marsh to play all 15 Supertests during WSC was Ray Bright.

World Series Cricketer Robbie Langer. Always wondered if he was Justin Langer's uncle or some relative.
Anyone know for sure? Did not play many WSC games but was in the Australian squad and would have played some one dayers.

The Demon Spofforth! Robbie Langer is JL's uncle.
Thanks for answering my query on Robbie Langer. Was not sure until then.
As for the trivia question I posed, if Spofforth did not play Sheffield Shield I just learnt something new.
I was thinking of someone else as assumed only the player I was thinking of did not play Shield cricket.

Played Test matches for Australia. Bowling average under 27 but never played a Sheffield Shield game.
Who am I?

There was a player named Sammy Woods who played 3 Tests for Australia in 1888. He got picked for the 1888 tour to England despite having played only one first class game prior to that. In fact he began 1888 by playing for Cambridge University and was drafted into the Australian side to play in the Tests. He then stayed in England and later played 3 Tests for the Poms and never actually played any first class cricket in Australia. So I will guess the answer is Sammy Woods.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Played Test matches for Australia. Bowling average under 27 but never played a Sheffield Shield game.
Who am I?
There was a player named Sammy Woods who played 3 Tests for Australia in 1888. He got picked for the 1888 tour to England despite having played only one first class game prior to that. In fact he began 1888 by playing for Cambridge University and was drafted into the Australian side to play in the Tests. He then stayed in England and later played 3 Tests for the Poms and never actually played any first class cricket in Australia. So I will guess the answer is Sammy Woods.

Technically speaking anyone who retired before 1892/93 wouldn't have played Sheffield Shield.

Good info but not the player was thinking about but learning how many have played Tests without Shield cricket.
The guy I was thinking of was Laurie Nash. Test bowling average around 12.

Nash played mostly for Tasmania - who were not in the Shield (didn't join until 1977). There were a few other islanders who got picked for Australia (usually on the basis of good performances against international or interstate touring sides). Charles Eady, Kenny Burn for example. The good tasmanians were invariably picked for the 'Australian XI' match against tourists.

WA didn't get into the Shield until about 1947, but the West Aussies got far fewer opportunities to impress, due to the long distance travel involved. They hardly saw any touring sides, and the eastern state teams travelled there far less than to Tassie.

I was reading yesterday Laurie Nash playing for Tasmania against touring South African team and was on a hat trick. I find it amazing on a hat trick ball instead of bowling at the stumps, he bowled a bouncer and apparently broke the jaw of South African captain. Must have been a fiery character to bowl a bouncer rather than attack the stumps when you got a hat trick on the offering. I think it was after that he got picked in the Test side. But must have been such a firebrand character he upset the establishment and would not play beyond his 2nd Test despite having a bowling average of around 12 from those two Test matches he played in.

I was reading yesterday Laurie Nash playing for Tasmania against touring South African team and was on a hat trick. I find it amazing on a hat trick ball instead of bowling at the stumps, he bowled a bouncer and apparently broke the jaw of South African captain. Must have been a fiery character to bowl a bouncer rather than attack the stumps when you got a hat trick on the offering. I think it was after that he got picked in the Test side. But must have been such a firebrand character he upset the establishment and would not play beyond his 2nd Test despite having a bowling average of around 12 from those two Test matches he played in.

Aside from the fact that he was a noted VFL player, my knowledge of Nash basically adds up to the fact that he was the player Australia was urged to pick to give Jardine some of his own medicine

Aside from the fact that he was a noted VFL player, my knowledge of Nash basically adds up to the fact that he was the player Australia was urged to pick to give Jardine some of his own medicine

Yep, I think Nash said something along the lines of only Larwood maybe quicker than him at the time.
Probably the only Aussie that could say I kicked more goals in a single state game than Kernahan or Jesaulenko did and my Test bowling average is almost twice as good as Dennis Lillee and Shane Warne.
Amazing sportsman he must have been.

The one dayers versus England kick off today. What were the two innovations trialled in limited overs cricket in Australia during the 1994-95 season?

The one dayers versus England kick off today. What were the two innovations trialled in limited overs cricket in Australia during the 1994-95 season?

Was that the year they had 12 players a team or two innings of 25 overs each in domestic one dayers?

Or was that the year we had two Australian teams with England and Zimbabwe the other two ?

Or first time they used two balls each inning ?

Was that the year a few sides (Victoria?) wore shorts?

The three above posts have covered the innovations I was thinking about:

The Australia A team playing in the tri series (quad series?) and Victoria wearing shorts in the domestic competition.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back