MFC Fans Only Non-Dees AFL thread: 2018 Edition: Weighed in the balance, who will be found wanting?

Remove this Banner Ad

Am I the only one who enjoyed irony of the first post in the 2018 Non-Demons thread being about the Demons playing finals?

I thought it was deliberate and whichever mod made the thread is assuming we're going to miss out again.

WE just got so much to look forward too in 2018, i'm looking forward to Round 4 when Hawthron celebrates the 30th anniversary of their GF win over us.

Let’s face it. If we have a decent run with injury and suspension we have to make finals. Or we’re buggered. No excuses.
To be fair, with a decent injury and suspension run last year, we would have made finals comfortably ... so short of some kind of disaster, we should make it with room to spare.

Am I the only one who enjoyed irony of the first post in the 2018 Non-Demons thread being about the Demons playing finals?
You just reminded me - I’ve lurked a bunch of boards for thrills and such. The non (whichever team) threads are hilarious. The Hawks non Hawks thread occasionally refers to some non-Hawks material, before settling in relentlessly on a discussion of how much better the Hawks are, Cyril, JOM and 3-peat. Saints too - non Saints thread is virtually entirely about the Saints and “the kids” and taking the next step etc, with occasional disparaging remarks at Demons, Dogs and the dreaded drug cheats. So far the only ‘non’ threads I’ve found that are mostly about another team are Adelaide and Port (each panning the other) and likewise Freo and West Coast.

I’ll have a go at non-Demons topics. That man bun guy that Saints got from GWS is in a moon boot and either all good and fit and firing or dead, depending on which dodgy info you are swayed by. Adelaide came back from break fat and slow (or not) and it is bad or good. Jack Watts signed autographs at training in teal, but I’m not sure if he is allowed in this thread or not. Eliot had surgery from falling off his wheelie bin box or something. Fasolo is injured or something too plus another guy but I forget who. Gil may or may not resign.

I thought it was deliberate and whichever mod made the thread is assuming we're going to miss out again.
You don’t have to be a mod to make a thread. This one isn’t I don’t think. It’s a MM non-Demons thread. You too can make your very own thread. Cannon’s Contemplations or some such. Then I can edit the crap out of it and delete stuff.

You just reminded me - I’ve lurked a bunch of boards for thrills and such. The non (whichever team) threads are hilarious. The Hawks non Hawks thread occasionally refers to some non-Hawks material, before settling in relentlessly on a discussion of how much better the Hawks are, Cyril, JOM and 3-peat. Saints too - non Saints thread is virtually entirely about the Saints and “the kids” and taking the next step etc, with occasional disparaging remarks at Demons, Dogs and the dreaded drug cheats. So far the only ‘non’ threads I’ve found that are mostly about another team are Adelaide and Port (each panning the other) and likewise Freo and West Coast.

I’ll have a go at non-Demons topics. That man bun guy that Saints got from GWS is in a moon boot and either all good and fit and firing or dead, depending on which dodgy info you are swayed by. Adelaide came back from break fat and slow (or not) and it is bad or good. Jack Watts signed autographs at training in teal, but I’m not sure if he is allowed in this thread or not. Eliot had surgery from falling off his wheelie bin box or something. Fasolo is injured or something too plus another guy but I forget who. Gil may or may not resign.
The Collingwood injuries really should be getting more attention. That's most of their forward firepower.

The Collingwood injuries really should be getting more attention. That's most of their forward firepower.
Yep. They are having a shitty preseason. Isn’t that Greenwood dude also recovering from surgery? Not that he is GOAT or anything, though I notice he steps it up, Kingsley style, against us. Still, if they can just up their injuries a little bit more, and have players miss games during the season, then it gives Buckley the get out clause he needs to retain his coaching position for the next decade or whatever.

The worst thing (for them, best for everyone else) is that most, if not all of the injuries are left over from last season, and they've had to put them in for surgery in the middle of preseason because they "haven't responded as well as hoped" to the non-surgical route.

Their list of terrible injury management is long than Mason Cox's legs ... which are probably due to break at some stage soon.

Last edited:
Collingwood are becoming a basket case. Their list management has been atrocious and their game day strategies are either very loose, or not well drilled.

Hawthorn have made some odd moves recently as well, although they have so many credits in the bank that they can be overlooked.

North is the other side that have made some incredibly poor decisions to get to where they are now.

Gold Coast can perhaps be forgiven for some of their errors as a new club who have been affected by poor culture and a subsequent go home factor. I hope they can come good actually.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Collingwood are becoming a basket case. Their list management has been atrocious and their game day strategies are either very loose, or not well drilled.

Hawthorn have made some odd moves recently as well, although they have so many credits in the bank that they can be overlooked.

North is the other side that have made some incredibly poor decisions to get to where they are now.

Gold Coast can perhaps be forgiven for some of their errors as a new club who have been affected by poor culture and a subsequent go home factor. I hope they can come good actually.
How Clayton and Ashcroft are both still in place is beyond me. Scott Clayton should have been sacked with McKenna ffs

I don't think Collingwood are as bad as people think.

It's a disaster up there. How GWS can get it so right and GC so wrong in virtually the same time points to serious personnel and cultural issues. I honestly don't know if GC will last long term.

They're both bleeding players, but GWS chased good young players at the start (ie Ward, Davis, etc) plus cheap experienced heads who were retiring, and now they're benefiting. Gold Coast chased Ablett and a lot of middle aged / older players, from memory.

Be interesting to see how many players the clubs have turned over per year. I'm guessing it'd be similar high numbers?

They're both bleeding players, but GWS chased good young players at the start (ie Ward, Davis, etc) plus cheap experienced heads who were retiring, and now they're benefiting. Gold Coast chased Ablett and a lot of middle aged / older players, from memory.

Be interesting to see how many players the clubs have turned over per year. I'm guessing it'd be similar high numbers?
Not sure exactly, but I reckon it would be. To look at some comparisons, GC recruited the folllwing experienced players into their initial side - Josh Fraser, Nathan Bock, Daniel Harris, Campbell Brown, Jarrod Harbrow, Michael Rischitelli, Gary Ablett.

The only real leaders I see there are Bock and Harris. Fair to say the others weren't leadership material.

GWS - Phil Davis, Callan Ward, Tom Scully, James McDonald, Dean Brogan, Luke Power, Chad Cornes, Dean Brogan.

That's a fairly significant difference to what GC had. And I think it really sums up that leadership is the key contributable element to succeeding.

No they haven't, but I do think their core group is pretty good. I actually think they will surprise next year.

They have a decent midfield and when they are winning the ball with pressure they look ok. But they have terrible KPP at both ends which means that under any pressure they can't make scores or stop them which means they are vulnerable to periods of scores against them or quite periods themselves. Carlton might over take them next year due to the talent at either end they have

They have a decent midfield and when they are winning the ball with pressure they look ok. But they have terrible KPP at both ends which means that under any pressure they can't make scores or stop them which means they are vulnerable to periods of scores against them or quite periods themselves. Carlton might over take them next year due to the talent at either end they have
But how much importance do we place on KPP given the last two premiers? I guess Riewoldt and Rance kind of stump me a bit, but the WB didn't really have any stand out KPP in their premiership year.

I'll be interested to see how they go, given they rolled us in round 23 I think they can certainly give a good account of themselves next year, and they travel well.

But how much importance do we place on KPP given the last two premiers? I guess Riewoldt and Rance kind of stump me a bit, but the WB didn't really have any stand out KPP in their premiership year.

I'll be interested to see how they go, given they rolled us in round 23 I think they can certainly give a good account of themselves next year, and they travel well.

The bulldogs had Easton Wood and Dale Morris down back plus Matthew Boyd JJ and very capable 3rd talls in Hamling and Fletcher Roberts.

They also had Tom Boyd deserving of a Norm Smith medal with a bunch of other players having career best seasons forward (Dixon/Smith/Picken/Roughead etc)

That and the bulldogs dominated contested possession like no side has ever done in history, Collingwood don't have that capability to be industry leaders.

The bulldogs had Easton Wood and Dale Morris down back plus Matthew Boyd JJ and very capable 3rd talls in Hamling and Fletcher Roberts.

They also had Tom Boyd deserving of a Norm Smith medal with a bunch of other players having career best seasons forward (Dixon/Smith/Picken/Roughead etc)

That and the bulldogs dominated contested possession like no side has ever done in history, Collingwood don't have that capability to be industry leaders.
Morris and Boyd aren't big boys. I was standing next to Boyd yesterday. I know what you're saying though. I am just rating Howe and Moore highly.

If you look at the Pies list though, there are some pretty handy midfielders / half forwards.

See how it goes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back