Unpopular Opinions (Association Football version)

Remove this Banner Ad

Penalties that annoy me are those one right on the edge of the box where the player is going away from goal or right on the byline etc... they are not gonna score from there. Yet now they have a free shot from like 8 yards out. Its a bit silly.
12 yards.

Very enjoyable read this. Apologies for random likes.

Pep Guardiola is one of the luckiest men in the history of football management and his true ability as a manager is impossible to determine accurately - just about any manager would win trophies with the players he had at Barca and the players he currently has in the walkover that is the Bundesliga. Yet he will in all likelihood go down as one of the most revered and successful managers of all-time.
Wonder if this has changed since joining City or not.
that doesn't mean you can't be overrated.

everything that gets talked up obscenely is usually overrated.
Correct. Even great players, coaches or managers can be overrated. In any sport too.
I'm not as big on statistics.
Just Squawka compare charts :D
Ever heard of Herbert Chapman? I wonder what convinced him and half of his champion Huddersfield team to move to Arsenal.

Ever heard of Danny Fizmann? I wonder whose money paid for the new contracts of Adams, Bergkamp, Vieira etc.

Ever heard of Henry Norris? I wonder why Arsenal got promoted to the first division? And why was he banned for life from football?

Funny thing with a lot of football supporters. They genuinely seem to believe that they got to where they did just with a bit of elbow grease and a dream in their heart.

As for being run as a business I would say Arsenal fits that description more than City or Chelsea. So long as that champions league revenue comes into the club, why bother aiming higher? And sure, we can rip off our fans with the highest ticket prices in the league, but it's a bit much to spend any of that money trying to improve our side. There's dividends to worry about.
:D

As the saying goes, Maradona good, Pele better, George Best. Take the blinkers off mate, he was a class above. Even Pele thought so.

Sir Bobby was Englands best player in 1966 and the leader of the redemption of the Busby babes. 49 goals for England from Attacking Midfield. As Franz Beckenbauer said 'England beat us in 1966 because Bobby Charlton was a bit better than me.'
Null and void. We all know WEST HAM won that world cup... Or so they say.
I wasnt arguing anything. I was telling SM that poker is a skill game.

That's it. But good for you having an opinion. :)
Ha ha the one of the boards classic moments.
You're all arguing over players you've never seen.
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/who-had-best-historic-all-time-22.1184334/

Welcome to Bigfooty.

Whether it was Sir Geoff, Sir Bobby or Roger Hunt (who being a filthy scouser never got a knighthood) who was England's best in 1966, we can all agree it wasn't Jimmy "Spurs greatest ever player" Greaves

Penalties that annoy me are those one right on the edge of the box where the player is going away from goal or right on the byline etc... they are not gonna score from there. Yet now they have a free shot from like 8 yards out. Its a bit silly.

Like this?

FML.

Hahahah ******* hell, that is awful. What is your player thinking???

But yeah it's so harsh to be awarded pretty much a goal for that foul. The Hull player is not stopping a goal scoring chance.

Stupid foul though.
Michael Hector of Chelsea. They breed quality.

Robben and Ribery are the most underrated players of the 21st century (so far obvs) not many people would have either in their top 20, let alone top 10. Reckon Robben deserves to be up there.

Messi
CR7
Buffon
Xavi
Iniesta
Totti
Ronaldo
Ronaldinho
Zlatan
Neuer
Lampard
Cannavaro
Nesta
Thiago Silva
David Villa
Henry
Viera
Neymar
Luis Suarez
Gerrard
Xabi Alonso
Maldini
Hendo
Scholes
John Terry
Ashleigh Cole
Pique
Puyol
Casillas
Eto'o
Zanetti
Kaka
Neymar
Rio Ferdinand
Busquets
De Rossi
Giggs

Ready to list more.

Robben and Ribery are the most underrated players of the 21st century (so far obvs) not many people would have either in their top 20, let alone top 10. Reckon Robben deserves to be up there.

Robben suffers a little because he is so one dimensional. Ribery was great and you guys hung on to him through Real tapping him up which was great for Bayern.

i guess with robben is it's because he is a quiet achiever. just plays. and outside of the 12-13 cl final, he;s never really had a 'memorable moment' so to say.

his scoring for bayern for most of his time there, especially for someone who everyone knows what he's going to do, is quite ridiculous

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Messi
CR7
Buffon
Xavi
Iniesta
Totti
Ronaldo
Ronaldinho
Zlatan
Neuer
Lampard
Cannavaro
Nesta
Thiago Silva
David Villa
Henry
Viera
Neymar
Luis Suarez
Gerrard
Xabi Alonso
Maldini
Hendo
Scholes
John Terry
Ashleigh Cole
Pique
Puyol
Casillas
Eto'o
Zanetti
Kaka
Neymar
Rio Ferdinand
Busquets
De Rossi
Giggs

Ready to list more.

Is this in order of how you rank them?

Robben I think a lot of people would rate. Ribery's a weird one. He kinda just disappeared from sight after World Cup 2010. I had to double check to realise he was still playing when I heard his name again.

I will agree that Bayern in general is underrated, all things considered. All this Barca love, and not enough Bayern, in terms of the big boys.

Messi
CR7
Buffon
Xavi
Iniesta
Totti
Ronaldo
Ronaldinho
Zlatan
Neuer
Lampard
Cannavaro
Nesta
Thiago Silva
David Villa
Henry
Viera
Neymar
Luis Suarez
Gerrard
Xabi Alonso
Maldini
Hendo
Scholes
John Terry
Ashleigh Cole
Pique
Puyol
Casillas
Eto'o
Zanetti
Kaka
Neymar
Rio Ferdinand
Busquets
De Rossi
Giggs

Ready to list more.

Case in point ;)

I will agree that Bayern in general is underrated, all things considered. All this Barca love, and not enough Bayern, in terms of the big boys.

I guess there is just something unsexy about Bayern. Maybe because Bayern doesn't spend heaps to get the superstars, but picks up most of the German talent on the cheap.

Bayern doesn't do anything differently to the other 'big fish' in their respective leagues. Currently we have 7 players we've acquired from Bundesliga clubs, 2 of which are our 2nd and 3rd choice keepers, and one of which was Kimmich while he was playing for Leipzig in the 2nd division(so not really a team that could 'challenge') I don't think these numbers are anything dramatically different from other top clubs in their domestic leagues. You'll find that Dortmund are simillarly guilty of 'raiding' the competition.

Messi
CR7
Buffon
Xavi
Iniesta
Totti
Ronaldo
Ronaldinho
Zlatan
Neuer
Lampard
Cannavaro
Nesta
Thiago Silva
David Villa
Henry
Viera
Neymar
Luis Suarez
Gerrard
Xabi Alonso
Maldini
Hendo
Scholes
John Terry
Ashleigh Cole
Pique
Puyol
Casillas
Eto'o
Zanetti
Kaka
Neymar
Rio Ferdinand
Busquets
De Rossi
Giggs

Ready to list more.
I would probably add Figo, Zizou, Stam, John O'shea and Jesse Messi to that group.

Bayern doesn't do anything differently to the other 'big fish' in their respective leagues. Currently we have 7 players we've acquired from Bundesliga clubs, 2 of which are our 2nd and 3rd choice keepers, and one of which was Kimmich while he was playing for Leipzig in the 2nd division(so not really a team that could 'challenge') I don't think these numbers are anything dramatically different from other top clubs in their domestic leagues. You'll find that Dortmund are simillarly guilty of 'raiding' the competition.

Dortmund actually do it more than your lot but that's a different story for a different day.

Bayern however have the extremely uncanny ability to snag a player or two from teams who look like being able to eventually challenge them. Lewa, Goetze, Gomez, Sule, Rudy, Goretzka?, Gnabry, Hummels, Klose, Neuer, Wagner, Mandzukic.

Fair list I'd say.

Dortmund actually do it more than your lot but that's a different story for a different day.

Bayern however have the extremely uncanny ability to snag a player or two from teams who look like being able to eventually challenge them. Lewa, Goetze, Gomez, Sule, Rudy, Goretzka?, Gnabry, Hummels, Klose, Neuer, Wagner, Mandzukic.

Fair list I'd say.

now hang on, Hummels and Wagner are Bayern academy products who were cruelly pillaged from us ;)

nah it's a fair point. the trouble is Germany produces a fair amount of talent, and they all want to play in the national team, and Bayern is the best stage to audition for a spot + obviously much higher wages. I don't really know what the answer is, but I'm kinda happy that Leipzig is building a strong club, even if it is artificially through corporate ownership.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back