Autopsy Who are our most underated 'bottom 6' premiership players?

Two most underated bottom 6 players.

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Socrates2

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Our bottom tier, 6 premiership players ,most would agree are Broad, Mcintosh, Castagna, Townsend, Graham and Butler.They were pivotal in filling the void and providing great service.Two votes, which two are most underated?

Looking at that list I'm reminded of the theory that it is your bottom six players that win you the flag not your top six..... That's a terrific bottom six... Board and Graham for mine... Mostly underrated by non supporters but both these guys are going to be good, nowhere near their ceilings yet

• Banned
I went for McIntosh for his hard running, hard tackling and ability to play tall and spoil.He can turn it over , but he is valuable in other areas. Townsend provides muscle and accurate kicking- a real 'moneyball' player like Caddy is.

Reckon Butler and George will only get better with another preseason under their belts. Georgie just needs to work on his decision making and be a touch cleaner with his marking and goal kicking. I’ve never seen the pill follow a player like this bloke, he knows how to get into position. Might be a confidence thing with him but if he can improve in those areas he’ll be hard to displace in the side. If not, Bolton will be snapping at his heels.

Castaga kicked 26 goals 20 behinds,Butler kicked 30 goals/15 and Townsend 16 goals 2 behinds. Townsend was most accurate kick in Afl.
You could legit argue he is the best set shot in the AFL. At least one of those two misses the ball was on target and just got caught in the wind (v GWS).

Graham is bottom 6 only because he's played 2 H&A games. He's a talent that slipped.

All are very good value players. Macintosh to me is a genuine AFL quality player for any side. If he is poorly rated then the people doing the rating are idiots - yep, they are idiots.

Looking at that list I'm reminded of the theory that it is your bottom six players that win you the flag not your top six..... That's a terrific bottom six... Board and Graham for mine... Mostly underrated by non supporters but both these guys are going to be good, nowhere near their ceilings yet
Agree.
Esp Broad's critical role down back overshadowed by the big 3 and his impecable eye for mammaries must be applauded.

Graham is prob not much under rated anymore, quite the opposite, expectations on him will be high.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I believe if George can clean up his goal kicking he can kick 50 goals a season knows how to find the footy always involved and good mark to.
Agreed. He needs to hold on to those marks and he will kick more goals.

Castagna for mine is very underrated. If you watch his game he gets to a lot in the forward 50, nearly takes two screamers a game and almost runs too fast for his brain. If he just got a bit more composure and relaxed a bit, he’d fumble less. That paired with his tackling ability....
Needs to be soon though. Bolton's on the doorstep, Higgins not far behind.

Menadue, Short, Bolton, CEllis, Conca, Markov, Garthwaite, Moore, Stengle and the new draftee's with a bit of luck, will all be pressuring to play. They are all good enough, so the senior players who run out of form or get injured, might have to work their way back in to the seniors. There were periods of several weeks in a row where guys like Butler, Castagna and McIntosh were pretty quiet. I doubt Townsend will be as effective as he was late. Other times when out injured for spells they were straight back in. Might not get such silver service this year.

Castagna for mine is very underrated. If you watch his game he gets to a lot in the forward 50, nearly takes two screamers a game and almost runs too fast for his brain. If he just got a bit more composure and relaxed a bit, he’d fumble less. That paired with his tackling ability....
Needs to be soon though. Bolton's on the doorstep, Higgins not far behind.
Georgie just reminds me of a young titch when he arrived at the Tigers...titch would do the impossible quickly...the f**k ups quickly...over run the ball..run to far with the ball...all at a 100mph...took him years for his body to catch up with his brain...or his reflexes to slow a tad down to match his body...
Georgie just needs time...he is young...

Back