Is there a place for the Drop Kick today

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd like to see a drop kick for goal NRL style. From what I've seen it's incredibly accurate.

I think the place kick off a tee is certainly the most accurate as it eliminates the drop

In terms of the NRL, drop goals are overwhelmingly from 25 to 35 metres directly in front by the best or second best kick in the team

I would have thought if drop kicks were still a useful technique in Australian football they would still be used.

1512651726200_GS31C4SM0.1-0.jpg

Perhaps if you are trying to hit an opponent in the head. :) Where you strike the ball is probably below the players eye line, so they lose sight of the ball for a second or two and you don't strike it as hard as a regular punt or torp so it won't do any real damage. But it would probably be good enough to get a player off the ground for 20 minutes or so under the concussion rule.

That was called a stab pass.

That's correct, innovated by Collingwood at the start of the last century....superseded by a drop punt version which itself is used far less because a chip into the space of a leading player is obviously now considered optimal all things considered.

Interestingly, some Collingwood players were using stab kicks into the forward line against West Coast last year presumably to negate their intercept marking game. The risk is it is cut off at the first line in the zone

Which of any of the 800 players in the competition "struggle to execute a drop punt"? Seriously. The pre-professional game of Australian football (the classical version if you like) was a great game in open play. The modern version is phenomenally amazing. The players are far more skilled. They are also far more organised and fitter.

I found It easier to kick drop kicks at top pace than drop punts. Drop punts for me always felt a bit more rushed and a lot less controlled, but something about drop kicks just made it so much easier to get the timing right and hit sweetly.

Drop kicks are also much flatter, especially off one step. You don't need to have the right technique or as much momentum to get a decent trajectory. I also found it better for accuracy with short range kicks as you don't feel the need to guide the ball with your hand or weight it by foot.

You'd struggle to use it in AFL though, the speed/lack of space means that extra split second on the drop will just get knocked off your kick, or you'll struggle to thread it through the gaps which you need to do because of the trajectory.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And seeing how I didn't really answer the question:

Tight angles where you can't afford shape the ball naturally, ie a right footer in yhe right picket.

Also good for kicking into the wind as they're alot punchier and not as loopy.

Can also be good for kicking it to forwards on the lead where you want to keep it away from the defender from being able to get a fist in.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

That's correct, innovated by Collingwood at the start of the last century....superseded by a drop punt version which itself is used far less because a chip into the space of a leading player is obviously now considered optimal all things considered.

Interestingly, some Collingwood players were using stab kicks into the forward line against West Coast last year presumably to negate their intercept marking game. The risk is it is cut off at the first line in the zone

Which of any of the 800 players in the competition "struggle to execute a drop punt"? Seriously. The pre-professional game of Australian football (the classical version if you like) was a great game in open play. The modern version is phenomenally amazing. The players are far more skilled. They are also far more organised and fitter.

I'm not talking about a stab pass, I'm talking about a drop kick that is, yes, 'stabbed' if you like. Done properly, the ball can travel no more than a metre or so from the ground.

As for the last part, spoken like a man that's never seen Sam Kerridge play.

I'm not talking about a stab pass, I'm talking about a drop kick that is, yes, 'stabbed' if you like. Done properly, the ball can travel no more than a metre or so from the ground.

As for the last part, spoken like a man that's never seen Sam Kerridge play.

Like I was saying, the original "stab pass" was a drop kick that Collingwood innovated in 1902 or something....the drop punt stab pass probably has a marginally higher "lowest possible arc" than the drop kick stab pass, sure

I was more focussed on the kid with number 5 tearing us up last year. Overall, players are far more skillful by foot than yesteryear...cos they train a lot more....

Like I was saying, the original "stab pass" was a drop kick that Collingwood innovated in 1902 or something....the drop punt stab pass probably has a marginally higher "lowest possible arc" than the drop kick stab pass, sure

I was more focussed on the kid with number 5 tearing us up last year. Overall, players are far more skillful by foot than yesteryear...cos they train a lot more....

In general, sure, but it depends on the particular skill. In close, players are miles ahead of even a decade ago. Snaps, dribble kicks - yep. Hitting up a player on the lead by putting it in front of his teammate so he can run on to it without it being spoiled...hmm...maybe it depends on which team you watch the most.

In general, sure, but it depends on the particular skill. In close, players are miles ahead of even a decade ago. Snaps, dribble kicks - yep. Hitting up a player on the lead by putting it in front of his teammate so he can run on to it without it being spoiled...hmm...maybe it depends on which team you watch the most.

I think they are significantly better at this as well...I suspect people who think otherwise are guilty of 2 errors

1. A nostalgic bias, remembering the past through rose coloured lens
2. A failure to account for the far higher pressure and far less time and space that players are required to execute their kicking skills nowadays

Anyway, you can certainly be forgiven for enjoying your football less now than 20 years ago ;-)

Off the field = west coast supporters
On field = international rules

Remove this Banner Ad

Back