9. Foreign Affairs.
10. Bad as Me.
11. Bone Machine.
12. Franks Wild Years.
13. Mule Variations.
14. Alice.
15. The Black Rider.
16. Blood Money.
Props for The Suburbs at number 1. Maybe an unpopular opinion but I rate Everything Now above Reflektor at the moment.

What a record indeed. It's fair to say I've listened to it more than any other album in my collection. Interesting you say it's almost a prog rock album, I've never even considered that notion. To be honest though that term seems to cover such a wide range of music I'm not really sure what it truly means. Anyway, awesome album that certainly doesn't include any over indulgence which is something I've heard prog rock criticised for in the past. Also, although the complete experience is superior most Head Injuries songs stand just a well all on their own. Just a bloody sublime album by a bloody awesome band at the peak of their powers.

1. Head Injuries
IMO the greatest AUS album of all time.
The intro to Back on the Bordeline makes me want to run through bricks walls.

2. Midnight Oil
3. 10 to 1
4. Place without a Postcard
5. Red Sails
6. Bird Noises
7. Blue Sky MIning

The Beatles

1. Revolver
2. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
3. Rubber Soul
4. Abbey Road
5. A Hard Day's Night
6. Help!
7. Magical Mystery Tour
8. The Beatles - White Album
9. Please Please Me
10. Let It Be
11. Beatles for Sale
12. With the Beatles
13. Yellow Submarine
This list could have it's own seperate thread, the output is so strong. The evolution and diversity of the albums.... wow.

I've been a Who fan for only about 10 months and am now really sitting down and listening to everything they did - I'm hooked.
Great to hear. Out of curiosity how old are you? Only want to know if young guys are getting into great music from the good old days.

Which album would you recommend for someone who loves their b-sides? (Monkey Monkey, Lentils & Rice etc.)

Probably the 2005 special edition release of Sweet Dreams.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great to hear. Out of curiosity how old are you? Only want to know if young guys are getting into great music from the good old days.
I'm 17 - AC/DC was my first "classic" band and I got on them at 6. I've gone through plenty of music phases over the last decade, but the whole 60's/70's rock and roll is certainly my favourite phase I've had and I'll stick with it. I'm just really interested in the whole time period - music, film, politics, war, culture etc.

Pixies (Initial incarnation)

Doolittle (Where they got it all together - the noise, the melody, the songwriting, the musicianship. One of those great moments in music where everything just clicks.)
Bossanova (The guitar tones and melody on this record are absolutely gorgeous. The reverb is insane)
Surfer Rosa (Heresy to have it this far down, but enjoy the sound of Bossanova over the collection of songs that feel a bit looser - even though there's some elite stuff here. SR also has one of the great album openers of all time)
Trompe Le Monde (Songwriting on the second half was a very good precursor to solo Frank Black - Motorway to Roswell is stunning.)

Neil Young

1. On the Beach
2. Rust Never Sleeps
3. Tonight's the Night
4. Hitchhiker
5. Harvest
6. Zuma

I still haven't listened to a lot of them. On the beach is easily my favourite though. Perfect album.
I have the top three in the same order, they are the NY albums that wow me in any mood. Harder to rank beyond that, my #4 would probably be Everybody Knows This is Nowhere.

I'm 17 - AC/DC was my first "classic" band and I got on them at 6. I've gone through plenty of music phases over the last decade, but the whole 60's/70's rock and roll is certainly my favourite phase I've had and I'll stick with it. I'm just really interested in the whole time period - music, film, politics, war, culture etc.
I apologise if you've already gone over this, but I'm interested to know if you've heard their entire catalogue, and which albums you particularly like.

And, of course, why.

Neil Young

1. On the Beach
2. Rust Never Sleeps
3. Tonight's the Night
4. Hitchhiker
5. Harvest
6. Zuma

I still haven't listened to a lot of them. On the beach is easily my favourite though. Perfect album.
I have the top three in the same order, they are the NY albums that wow me in any mood. Harder to rank beyond that, my #4 would probably be Everybody Knows This is Nowhere.
It's hard for me to seperate my top 5 for Neil Young.

1. Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere
2. On The Beach
3. Tonight's The Night
4. After The Goldrush
5. Harvest

Porcupine Tree. Studio Albums Only

1 In Absentia
2 Deadwing
3 Lightbulb Sun
4 Fear of a Blank Planet
5 The Sky Moves Sideways
6 Stupid Dream
7 Signify
8 The Incident
9 Up the Downstair
10 On the Sunday of Life

It's hard for me to seperate my top 5 for Neil Young.

1. Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere
2. On The Beach
3. Tonight's The Night
4. After The Goldrush
5. Harvest
I particularly like his stuff with Crazy Horse. This is the beauty of Neil Young (a legend), His music is so diverse.

I apologise if you've already gone over this, but I'm interested to know if you've heard their entire catalogue, and which albums you particularly like.

And, of course, why.

Of The Who? A lot of it, but still haven’t approached much of their post-Moon work aside from You Better You Bet which is a great song. Listening to the members’ solo work pushes me further away from their later stuff lol

Who’s Next - absolute favourite. The song transitions aren’t quite perfect but it’s a great collection of songs (team of champions rather than a champion team). Scary to think what the Lifehouse opera might have become if it ended up coming together. Could have been Sgt Pepper good!

The Who Sell Out - second favourite. Very important album as I think it really helped them find their creative shoes. Moon dominates drums for the first time and Pete’s quirky and creative ideas really come out and hit it off well.

Quadrophenia - stayed away for a while because as a rock opera, you need to sit down and listen to it all in one go rather than split it up. Really good album, but not sure it should be rated as highly as it is.

A Quick One - the more I listen to it the more I enjoy it. Really basic rock and roll but it works. John’s finest hour.

Tommy I’ve actually never listened to the studio album but the live at Leeds/Isle of Wight versions are both brilliant. I’ll squeeze the actual album into my schedule one day.

Live At Leeds/Live At The Isle Of Wight are both amazing live albums and my unpopular opinion is that the Isle Of Wight album is better and had it been released immediately after recording rather than in 1987, it would be known much more than it is.

I like Odds And Sods, and Rarities, both stacked with non-album songs and B-sides, many of which are better than the songs that got to the albums.

The Who By Numbers left a bad taste in my mouth though. I’ve read positive reviews but to me it was bland and completely uninspired. Any album that has Squeeze Box as its main event fails my test. Imagine A Man was the best of the lot.

Who Are You, Face Dances and It’s Hard I haven’t gotten around to, and I’m not desperate to either. If I get around to it, I’ll go in chronological order. Endless Wire isn’t even The Who and as such I have no interest. It’s Not Enough was a nice little ditty on the Greatest Hits album but that’s all I needed.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Every Time I Die

1. Low Teens
2. Ex Lives
3. Gutter Phenomenon
4. From Parts Unknown
5. New Junk Aesthetic
6. The Big Dirty
7. Hot Damn!

Nice!
It’s insane how they keep releasing consistently great material. Still kicking myself for missing the last tour.

The Living End

Sum 41
1. Chuck
2. Does This Look Infected
3. All Killer No Filler
4. 13 Voices
5. Screaming Bloody Murder
6. Underclass Hero

Underclass Hero is so underrated for mine, I was in my teens when it dropped and I remember my Sister worked at Sanity so she brought it home for me on the release day, I sat on my floor and listened to it, hated it. Now I’m in my mid twenties I appreciate it a lot more. Can’t seem to get into SBM or 13 Voices, although 13 Voices is better than SBM IMO, which you seem to share.

Mine would be:
1. All Killer No Filler
2. Chuck
3. Does This Look Infected?
4. Underclass Hero
5. 13 Voices
6. Screaming Bloody Murder

Remove this Banner Ad

Back