General Media Grievances and Thumbs Down

Remove this Banner Ad

Which bit are you talking about? If it's the advertising ,NFL and Epl don't have 6 different brand names on their jumper because they respect the tradition of the jumper.
Nor do we have advertisement taking up the entire midriff, advertising on football jumpers is minimal compared to soccer shirts and flat out non existent compared to clubs that aren’t English and not the big European clubs.

Nor do we have advertisement taking up the entire midriff, advertising on football jumpers is minimal compared to soccer shirts and flat out non existent compared to clubs that aren’t English and not the big European clubs.
Maybe a name, but they shouldn't be in different to-club colours, like the red on freos jumper . unnamed (12).jpg

I thought that this would be a general thread about complaining about the footy media.

Well then, I will complain about the footy media in general.

There are two groups of footy media:- The has-beens, and the never-weres.

The has-beens are former players, who forgot where they came from. During their careers, they experienced unfair criticism from sections of the footy media, but when they retire and join the media, many of them forget this, and join the "stone-throwing".

They are "sell-outs" who put the dollar ahead of past loyalties and friendships. Forgetting that they would be nowhere today if that club hadn't drafted them, they now bag past teammates and their former team, all to appease their "master".

Take someone like Matthew Lloyd. He throws statements out there, to be controversial, and to feather his nest.

Also, many others in the industry don't hold these ex-players to account. Kevin Bartlett is a senile old fart who says a lot of stupid things, but is never corrected on-air, because he played 403 games. Dermott Brereton rudely talks over others, and is often inaccurate, but who dares correct a 5-time premiership player. This is especially on "SycophantEN".

The second-group are the "never-weres". These are people who weren't talented enough to play the game, but ride on the back of others' successes. Robbo, Mike, Caro, Ralphy and Hutchy try to make themselves celebrities, by whoring themselves to whatever TV, radio or newspaper company who will sign them. They try to become bigger names than the players. Also, they have no understanding of how a football club works, since they have never been in one on match-day, yet try to act like they know how players should act and feel. They are very self-righteous and highly judgmental for a group who have never walked in the players' shoes. They trash reputations and careers to make a name for themselves and a buck, secretly resentful that they weren't ever blessed with the talent that those they write about were.

So, generally, the footy media should stick to writing match reports and footy previews, and keep the gossip and speculation to themselves. The public also need to scrutinise all that they read from these people, and sift the truth from the gossip, speculation, half-truths and bald-faced lies.

I thought that this would be a general thread about complaining about the footy media.

Well then, I will complain about the footy media in general.

There are two groups of footy media:- The has-beens, and the never-weres.

The has-beens are former players, who forgot where they came from. During their careers, they experienced unfair criticism from sections of the footy media, but when they retire and join the media, many of them forget this, and join the "stone-throwing".

They are "sell-outs" who put the dollar ahead of past loyalties and friendships. Forgetting that they would be nowhere today if that club hadn't drafted them, they now bag past teammates and their former team, all to appease their "master".

Take someone like Matthew Lloyd. He throws statements out there, to be controversial, and to feather his nest.

Also, many others in the industry don't hold these ex-players to account. Kevin Bartlett is a senile old fart who says a lot of stupid things, but is never corrected on-air, because he played 403 games. Dermott Brereton rudely talks over others, and is often inaccurate, but who dares correct a 5-time premiership player. This is especially on "SycophantEN".

The second-group are the "never-weres". These are people who weren't talented enough to play the game, but ride on the back of others' successes. Robbo, Mike, Caro, Ralphy and Hutchy try to make themselves celebrities, by whoring themselves to whatever TV, radio or newspaper company who will sign them. They try to become bigger names than the players. Also, they have no understanding of how a football club works, since they have never been in one on match-day, yet try to act like they know how players should act and feel. They are very self-righteous and highly judgmental for a group who have never walked in the players' shoes. They trash reputations and careers to make a name for themselves and a buck, secretly resentful that they weren't ever blessed with the talent that those they write about were.

So, generally, the footy media should stick to writing match reports and footy previews, and keep the gossip and speculation to themselves. The public also need to scrutinise all that they read from these people, and sift the truth from the gossip, speculation, half-truths and bald-faced lies.
you forgot the ones who are a combination..eg Garry Lyon, the most biased and self righteous flog ever. Really peeved that I have to have Foxtel just to watch footy in Qld and now I have to put up with him as well. At least the likes of Dermie and King will seem to be an improvement in comparison I guess.

No:rolleyes:........they did the job in an acceptable manner imo, didn't grate on my nerves at all e.g. Roger Rasheed.

Not sure what people's expectations are, but when Hamish was on during the tennis, he hosted in a professional style, was knowledgable in what he was saying, looked the part.

.....ch7 did a great job of the whole tournament as usual, Basil is a funny looking guy, but he also was acceptable doing the MC role.(except when he said the KIA guy was Daniel Andrews, that was funny)

I don't look at things and critique every little aspect, unless something is glaringly obvious.

Why you guys would question if I'm their mother is wierd imo, just because I said I thought they were ok? That's your reaction to a positive comment on something? Seriously!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Far too much AFLW on Fox Footy. I have no interest in AFLW. It shouldn't be cutting into the amount of regular AFL content on Fox Footy as much as it is.

Yeah, 100%. I have a couple of free days at home this weekend and there's nothing on Fox Footy but AFLW. Needs to be much more of a balance at the very least.

I don’t follow it at all but isn’t this the final round of their season (GF spots up for grabs) vs no AFL games. I wouldn’t get too worried about the “abundance” of AFLW this weekend.

I am aware of all that and realise that this won't be your typical Fox Footy weekend. Still doesn't mean there needs to be wall to wall replays of AFLW matches for the next week.

I don’t follow the AFLW at all but I can’t really see what the issue with a football dedicated channel broadcasting football is tbh, especially considering the real season hasn’t started yet

I’ll take that over top of talking heads like Slobbo and Ralphy giving us their top 8, their “bold” predictions and news on Jack Watts going to his sister’s wedding instead of an intra-club scratch match.

I don’t follow the AFLW at all but I can’t really see what the issue with a football dedicated channel broadcasting football is tbh, especially considering the real season hasn’t started yet
Each to their own. From a personal point of view it means that I won't be watching any Fox Footy at all this weekend, whereas if they'd mixed in some JLT replays as well, I'd be likely to tune in for a look at various stages. Of course AFLW has a place on Fox Footy, but I don't think the channel should ever show AFLW exclusively for days on end.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back