Not open for further replies.

JimmyBeerCans

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Bring Back the Bars
May 6, 2013
Hell
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
He must be due to make another Baseball film, was he a failed ball player?

Speaking of Goonies

What kind of lovely paddock has Shaun Astley been in. Just saw him in Stranger Things S2

This makes me mad. Shaun Astley is only in his second pre-season with us. To let himself go and come back in bad shape is unforgivable imo. What a waste of talent.

Costner never recovered from Waterworld
Per IMDb another 29 movies and some TV after that so he recovered a bit. True Waterworld was such a forkup that the name became a metaphor for bad films that were ruinously and expensively made and then went phhht at the box office. Plenty of films have done one or two of those things but people love to remember those that have done all three.

Jun 21, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Maggies, Spurs, Raiders?
This makes me mad. Shaun Astley is only in his second pre-season with us. To let himself go and come back in bad shape is unforgivable imo. What a waste of talent.
Missed opportunity to go for something like this as a response:

"Yes but great tapwork from Ryder is making him look good."

Costner had a good run for about 7 years with many sports movies IMO.

1986 American Flyer - a cycling movie about The Hell of the West cycle race in the Rockies and the 7-11 cycling team which raced in the TDF and a few years later became the Motorola team, was in the movie
1987 Untouchables
1988 Bull Durham - a baseball movie about the minor league team Durham Bulls and plays catcher Crash Davis sent in by the Major league team to look after rising star pitcher Ebby Calvin Nuke Laloosh and teach him the game. Still the best sports movie I have watched.
1989 Field of Dreams - more baseball
1990 Dances with Wolves
1991 Robin Hood
1992 JFK

Then his career goes into a dive with The Bodyguard and Waterworld. Another sports movie I thought he was ok in, but it was too soppy romantic comedy was Tin Cup where he plays a golf pro/prodigy who wasted his talent before having a crack at US Open as a 40+ year old. As much as I love Bull Durham, I think this started Costner's problem that caused him to decline. He got a couple of long soliloquies and they seemed to get longer with each movie. They became too predicable and cliched after Dances with Wolves.

I though he was good in last years movie about the space race - Hidden Figures. No bloody soliloquies.

I reckon he has always had a chip on his shoulder about getting the gig as Alex Marshall in the Big Chill, the character who kills himself and why the group of college friends catch up over a weekend. But they never showed Costner's face. His face was edited out of the scenes he filmed as Alex Marshall.

He's done a lot of doco narrating films. Ken Burns' Vietnam doco series is on SBS at the moment and mid series my sister asked me if the narrator was Costner. I said no it was another actor, Peter Coyote, who does a lot of Ken Burns stuff but I checked Costner's doco profile to double check.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Maggies, Spurs, Raiders?
Costner had a good run for about 7 years with many sports movies IMO.

1986 American Flyer - a cycling movie about The Hell of the West cycle race in the Rockies and the 7-11 cycling team which raced in the TDF and a few years later became the Motorola team, was in the movie
1987 Untouchables
1988 Bull Durham - a baseball movie about the minor league team Durham Bulls and plays catcher Crash Davis sent in by the Major league team to look after rising star pitcher Ebby Calvin Nuke Laloosh and teach him the game. Still the best sports movie I have watched.
1989 Field of Dreams - more baseball
1990 Dances with Wolves
1991 Robin Hood
1992 JFK

Then his career goes into a dive with The Bodyguard and Waterworld. Another sports movie I thought he was ok in but it was too soppy romantic comedy was Tin Cup wher he plays a golf pro/prodigy who wasted his talent before having a crack at US Open. As much as I love Bull Durham I think this was started Costner's problem that caused him to decline. He got a couple of long soliloquies and they seemed to get longer with each movie. They became too predicable and cliched after Dances with Wolves.

I though he was good in last years movie about the space race - Hidden Figure. No bloody soliloquies.

I reckon he has always had a chip on his shoulder about getting the gig as Alex Marshall in the Big Chill, the character who kills himself and why the group of college friends catch up over a weekend. But they never showed Costner's face. His face was edited out of the scenes he filmed as Alex Marshall.

He's done a lot of doco narrating films. Ken Burns Vietnam series is on SBS and my sister asked me if the narrator was Costner. I said no it was another actor Peter Coyote who does a lot of Ken Burns stuff but I checked Costner's doco profile to double check.
You missed the one where he builds a boat and sulks over his wife's death and pushes everyone who cares for him away until he dies at sea ironically which is apparently a real romantic one according to Mrs Haha because he littered the sea with his bottles of heartwrenching letters

Apr 7, 2013
Burn City
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
26220378_779781718897326_2137865523530110222_o.jpg

You missed the one where he builds a boat and sulks over his wife's death and pushes everyone who cares for him away until he dies at sea ironically which is apparently a real romantic one according to Mrs Haha because he littered the sea with his bottles of heartwrenching letters
I have seen all his baseball movies countless times whether I wanted to or not, thanks to my other half. Quite liked Field of Dreams the first time but I'm over it now.
Message in a Bottle, that one ^^^^, is only saved by Paul Newman. That man could act, and had such class and presence whenever he was on screen. I still tear up at his scenes in that movie no matter how many times I have seen it. For the rest of the movie I find something else to do. :)

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
If there's one good thing to come out of The Last Jedi, it's the Crait map in Battlefront II.

If there's two, it's that and the Kylo Ren challenge.

How many times have you guys done it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back