Geelong for the flag in 2018?

Remove this Banner Ad

FootyFan17

Draftee
Dec 22, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
I'm not a Geelong supporter, but I'm tipping them for the flag this year.

Know their finals record is not great but think if they can keep a healthy list they can go all the way, as much as I'd like to see Richmond go back-to-back.

More games for Cockatoo helps cover for the loss of Motlop, Ablett in and few promising forwards developing. Reckon they're in a very good spot.

Last edited:
I'm predicting them for the flag as well (Geelong vs GWS GF). Reckon they'll finish top 2 after the H&A season but come finals I'm backing them to make the jump into the GF and win it.

They have no backline anymore, and their midfield haven’t exactly proven themselves to be able to play defensively come finals.

If opponents buy into the hype and sit back expecting to be belted, they’ll go a long way, but if they have opponents take the game on, a lot of questions will be asked

Going to have to be a big shift in some key areas:

Forward Pressure - Hawkins, Menzel, Cockatoo, Crameri (whom I expect will play a bit), Gregson, McCarthy will all have to seriously improve the pressure.

Midfield Support - Ablett is 34 in May and has been injured a lot, but he is Ablett. So much hinges on him supporting PD and JS this year. But it isn't just Ablett. Guthrie, S Selwood are two guys you'd want to see elevate their game. The idea is take the heavy loads of PD and JS.

Backline - Got to cover Mackie & Lonergan. Are Bews, Kolodjashnij, Thurlow and Touhy all capable?

In principle, yes definitely a huge chance, actually making it click? Well that's the unknown.

top 4 a certainty (short of an implosion or injury crisis) with 3 of the best mids in the comp plus their home ground.

I think they would struggle if they came up against a quicker side in a final @ the G though.
Richmond, Essendon, Adelaide, Dogs - any team with elite outside run that can turn it into a shoot out would beat them in my opinion.
The latter two would be unlikely to face them at the G though. Would be at Etihad or whatever their stadium is called now.

If they got any of Hawthorn, Sydney or Melbourne, i reckon it would be an even contest and the Cats top end class would rise to the top.

The combo of Ablett and Danger in one team is going to be a great sight to see.

Going to have to be a big shift in some key areas:

Forward Pressure - Hawkins, Menzel, Cockatoo, Crameri (whom I expect will play a bit), Gregson, McCarthy will all have to seriously improve the pressure.

Midfield Support - Ablett is 34 in May and has been injured a lot, but he is Ablett. So much hinges on him supporting PD and JS this year. But it isn't just Ablett. Guthrie, S Selwood are two guys you'd want to see elevate their game. The idea is take the heavy loads of PD and JS.

Backline - Got to cover Mackie & Lonergan. Are Bews, Kolodjashnij, Thurlow and Touhy all capable?

In principle, yes definitely a huge chance, actually making it click? Well that's the unknown.
The backline guys are capable just two of the ones listed need to stand up (Kolo, Thurlow) as it’s their time. The forward line has been our weakness for more than a decade however in 2007-2011 it wasn’t necessarily a bad thing like it is now.

You know what is pissing people off mate? It's the fact someone has made a thread and genuine one, and it hasn't got the words 'Richmond' in it, yet your suporters are constantly chiming in to the every thread with smarmy, arrogant, sarcastic crap that everyone is flat out sick of.

Take you crap to the bay, or go to the Richmond board and gloat. People use these sites for a serious discussion. We are all 'well aware' Richmond won the flag, but we are sick of the crap your supporters are dishing up.

Grow up.
After watching Hawks, Dogs and Tiger fans the last 5 years whoever wins next year I think I’ll ignore their entire board for 6 months unless it’s mine of course

They really missed a big chance last year. If the apparent evolution of the midfield-forward position epitomised by Dangerfield and Martin continues with Ablett doubling up on it, that will lessen the need for questionable shuffling of backs forward, and be a huge advantage. However the comp is hot and even and will Abletts addition be enough compared to other teams improvements?

After watching Hawks, Dogs and Tiger fans the last 5 years whoever wins next year I think I’ll ignore their entire board for 6 months unless it’s mine of course
Ill give the Hawks fans their due. During the 3-peat years they carried themselves pretty well for a team that has just dominated the comp.

You know what is pissing people off mate? It's the fact someone has made a thread and genuine one, and it hasn't got the words 'Richmond' in it, yet your suporters are constantly chiming in to the every thread with smarmy, arrogant, sarcastic crap that everyone is flat out sick of.

Take you crap to the bay, or go to the Richmond board and gloat. People use these sites for a serious discussion. We are all 'well aware' Richmond won the flag, but we are sick of the crap your supporters are dishing up.

Grow up.

Going to get worse if they jag another one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They really missed a big chance last year. If the apparent evolution of the midfield-forward position epitomised by Dangerfield and Martin continues with Ablett doubling up on it, that will lessen the need for questionable shuffling of backs forward, and be a huge advantage. However the comp is hot and even and will Abletts addition be enough compared to other teams improvements?

no they didnt, they were simply not good enough at the pointy end of the season.

Keep your eye out for a kid named Tim kelly in 2018. a lot of clubs will be livid they didnt take him when they had the chance.

How many of them was when it mattered? Like a qualifying final?

Who said anything about when? They were at the MCG.

Many of those wins helped get Geelong to the qualifying final, where they went on to win the flag.

Qualifying final doesn't matter either though I'm told.

Maybe if they were better they could have been like the Bulldogs, who were always gifting the Cats important finals wins to help out.

The backline guys are capable just two of the ones listed need to stand up (Kolo, Thurlow) as it’s their time. The forward line has been our weakness for more than a decade however in 2007-2011 it wasn’t necessarily a bad thing like it is now.
Agree, the backline is still solid with Taylor moving back.

Midfield obviously strong with 3 gun matchwinners. Will be difficult to shut all 3 down.

It's the forward line that is of a concern. Need more avenues to goals than Hawkins & have lost Motlop. If Crameri rediscovers his best form, could be the difference between making finals & threatening for a flag.

no they didnt, they were simply not good enough at the pointy end of the season.

Keep your eye out for a kid named Tim kelly in 2018. a lot of clubs will be livid they didnt take him when they had the chance.
Hindsight is gorgeous.
Smacked abt by my side, yeah, not good enough.
Wasnt the thinking at the time though. Were faves.
Scott may be another weak link as well as lack of speed.

It
Wish this forum had a "laughing emoji" like button.
It would have been worn out by the "can Richmond win the 2017 flag?" thread this time last year.

Geelong have to be a chance, but they will need more to go right than a fit Ablett. At this stage I would think GWS, Richmond, Adelaide, Sydney and Essendon are better bets..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back