Opinion Jackson Thurlow

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd have Thurlow 4th in rising star voting so far this year.

I'd be giving votes as follows.

5: Cripps
4: Hogan
3: McCarthy
2: Thurlow
1: Saad

Hartung, Gregson, Duggan, Sheed, McIntosh, Broomhead, Lang, Lonie and Brayshaw have all had great starts too.
Unlike last year, It'll be bloody tough to get into the top 5.

He has to win a weekly one before he's eligible for the final voting.

Hogan will win it because the AFL coffers love giving Melbourne a free-hit to keep their long-suffering, elitist fans a little bit to cheer about.... And to be fair, he is an absolute gun. Just couldn't help having a crack at those miserable Melbourne bastards ;)

Been awhile that we have been blessed with someone with great kicking skills as his main weapon and you can already see barring major injury he will be a long term player...

Not sure what to think with Jackson. Lots have him in their Best 22 for 2018, I don't purely being cautious regarding his 2017 where he struggled upon return from his knee.
Is 2018 a make or break season?

Not sure what to think with Jackson. Lots have him in their Best 22 for 2018, I don't purely being cautious regarding his 2017 where he struggled upon return from his knee.
Is 2018 a make or break season?
The talent is there but he has to bounce back. 2017 was poor by the standards of which he is capable.

Mackie retiring gives him the ideal chance to own a spot.

I see his worth as worth as a link up player where he can use his beautiful kicking ability into the forwards breadbaskets. He will be integral.

He is currently not best 22 but could force himself in by around round 4 where he becomes a permanent fixture for the entirety of his career. The question is how badly does he really want it, now?

He’s extremely talented and if it wasn’t for the year long injury in 2016 he would’ve cemented himself as best 22 by now. Most players struggle the year after doing an ACL, the year after is the one where they set the world on fire.

Hopefully he can stay fit and show us what we all know he’s very much capable of.

Good luck Thurls.

The talent is there but he has to bounce back. 2017 was poor by the standards of which he is capable.

Mackie retiring gives him the ideal chance to own a spot.

Not sure if he'll command a spot but he certainly needs to this coming season.
A better athlete than Stewart but does he have sufficient passion by comparison.

Not sure if he'll command a spot but he certainly needs to this coming season.
A better athlete than Stewart but does he have sufficient passion by comparison.
I don't know what you mean by a "better athlete"; he has a better leap, but Stewart has him well covered for straight-line pace, as well as general footy nous.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ruggles basically blew his career because he couldn't execute in finals. Stewart was much the same.
Ruggles' kicking was criticised throughout his career, and not just after his one and only final (which he played more than a year before his career ended).
Stewart is a good kick, with a DE% in the top third of the AFL, and there is simply no comparison between the kicking of the 2 players.

Have to agree with Fred here...I was surprised to read Biggy's comment on Stewarts kicking ability.

Not sure about his non-preferred but his delivery on his right foot looks good to me.

I don't know what you mean by a "better athlete"; he has a better leap, but Stewart has him well covered for straight-line pace, as well as general footy nous.

To me Thurlow looks the better balanced, don't think there's much pace difference as you claim.
Tom Stewart appears a little unco imo at times. Thurlow was another disappointing Wells surprise.

Ruggles' kicking was criticised throughout his career, and not just after his one and only final (which he played more than a year before his career ended).
Stewart is a good kick, with a DE% in the top third of the AFL, and there is simply no comparison between the kicking of the 2 players.
Stewart 76.4% DE in 2017 compared to Ruggles 74.9% DE in 2016. Yes, there's simply no comparison.

If we compare each player's first respective final, we have:
Ruggles: 10 disposals, 4 clangers, and 5 effective disposals
Stewart: 11 disposals, 5 clangers, and 5 effective disposals

Yes, there really is no comparison.

Stewart 76.4% DE in 2017 compared to Ruggles 74.9% DE in 2016. Yes, there's simply no comparison.

If we compare each player's first respective final, we have:
Ruggles: 10 disposals, 4 clangers, and 5 effective disposals
Stewart: 11 disposals, 5 clangers, and 5 effective disposals

Yes, there really is no comparison.

Silly decision to de list Ruggles

To me Thurlow looks the better balanced, don't think there's much pace difference as you claim.
Tom Stewart appears a little unco imo at times. Thurlow was another disappointing Wells surprise.

Very harsh.....the kid was coming back from an ACL in 2017....let's give him an even break and give him a go in 2018. Looked like an AFL level player before his injury.

Hopefully grabs his chance in 2018 and should be given every opportunity to do so. Agree though that its a make or break for him this year.

Very harsh.....the kid was coming back from an ACL in 2017....let's give him an even break and give him a go in 2018. Looked like an AFL level player before his injury.

Hopefully grabs his chance in 2018 and should be given every opportunity to do so. Agree though that its a make or break for him this year.

I am disappointed with him atm, but I'm also a Thurlow hopeful.
I think he's easily a superior athlete than Stewart and possesses higher levels which we have yet to see.
Really disappointed with his career so far.

Silly decision to de list Ruggles
Wouldn't have gotten a game in 2018 unless through injury. Worth keeping if there was a space on the list, but when they become more scarce he wasn't worth keeping over anyone else.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back