Predictions of fringe players making an impact in 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
We all know or hear about the superstars of the competition eg. Dangerfield, Dusty, Franklin. Well this thread isn't about the superstars. It ain't about the players with the big pay packets and big wallets.

It's about the hard-working players who are the bottom rung of the "regulars" picked for AFL duties, or the players who are just bordering on the outer but are striving to make more of an impact in 2018. The players who are paid between $200-400,000 per year. The players commentators barely make mention other than when they touch the ball. The players where the coaches barely remember their name. The players where their parents might not even know they play footy...hopefully you get the idea...

Predictions anyone?

David Mirra - Hawthorn
Tom Stewart - Geelong
Adam Saad - Essendon
Alex Witherden - Brisbane
Will Brodie - Gold Coast
Tom Langdon - Collingwood
Caleb Marchbank/Charlie Curnow - Carlton
Sam Weideman - Melbourne

I think those 9 will take big steps and have a fairly large impact.

Saad played 22 games last year.

Doesn't mean he cant have a bigger impact and be more influential this year..... still a solid middle tier player, has got potential to be better and I think he will meet that potential at Essendon.

Doesn't mean he cant have a bigger impact and be more influential this year..... still a solid middle tier player, has got potential to be better and I think he will meet that potential at Essendon.
Sure he can ,but he played every game last season, doesn't sound like a fringe player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Billy Stretch at the Dee’s.

Calum Brown and Matt Scharenberg making positive impacts can only mean good things for the Pies IMO, their smalls don’t apply nearly enough pressure(Fasolo in particularhas alwaysbeen anabsolute sinkhole defensively) and their kicking is poor as documented. Scharenberg oozes class and seeing as Crisp and Howe are already pretty good medium-tall defenders I’d actually like to see if Scharenberg could go forward at times like his contemporary Bontempelli who Scharenberg was touted to be more talented than.

i think for Collingwood De Goey will have a really solid year. We saw glimpses of it late last year. The game that really comes to mind was the one against West Coast where he kicked 4 goals.

i think for Collingwood De Goey will have a really solid year. We saw glimpses of it late last year. The game that really comes to mind was the one against West Coast where he kicked 4 goals.
Not really fringe though, clear best 22.

Kayle Kirby is the one I’m really hoping for.

Conor Glass ....

white as a knight in white satin...never fearing the end.

Red head too.

Has something about him.

From the old country.....well the part yet to be liberated, like Scotland and Wales.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back