QAFL 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

what is he getting? My understanding of the Magpies is that they assist with careers as opposed to paying big money

Isn't Thommo42 the President over there? I doubt he's funding player wages personally?? (Did you win the Lotto Tommo?)

What is the definition of big money in the QAFL these days anyway? I heard Hannaford last year was laughed out of the room by the Vultures and Magpies, but the Gorillas obviously met his demands. Sounds like definitions vary between clubs

Yes, but its pretty tasteless to be discussing individual player match payments when you have a working knowledge of them

You would be doing pretty well at any club to be getting more than $500 a game.

Nobody at the Magpies anywhere near that. Won't talk about individuals, but happy to state that no single player is anywhere near that figure.

Harwood wanted more than 30k and he was offered a lump sum up front from the magpies. If a club wants to pay blokes and it doesn’t send the club broke then I’m ok with it, let’s remeber we are all trying to win premierships and last year the 2 Clubs with the biggest budgets played on grand final day.

Absolute rubbish. It's matter of public record when AFLQ released player wage tallies of all QAFL clubs that we were and remain under $30k for the entire playing group. (as all Brisbane clubs were if I remember correctly)

As for suggestions we were rude enough to laugh at Hannaford, don't spout rubbish when you weren't there and weren't involved. We couldn't meet his demands, which others obviously could. Had he been a key position player, maybe we would have - all about how your list looks, as opposed to just chasing anyone and everyone.

what is he getting? My understanding of the Magpies is that they assist with careers as opposed to paying big money

Isn't Thommo42 the President over there? I doubt he's funding player wages personally?? (Did you win the Lotto Tommo?)

What is the definition of big money in the QAFL these days anyway? I heard Hannaford last year was laughed out of the room by the Vultures and Magpies, but the Gorillas obviously met his demands. Sounds like definitions vary between clubs

As they say, don’t believe everything you hear.

Yes, but its pretty tasteless to be discussing individual player match payments when you have a working knowledge of them

Nobody at the Magpies anywhere near that. Won't talk about individuals, but happy to state that no single player is anywhere near that figure.

Absolute rubbish. It's matter of public record when AFLQ released player wage tallies of all QAFL clubs that we were and remain under $30k for the entire playing group. (as all Brisbane clubs were if I remember correctly)

As for suggestions we were rude enough to laugh at Hannaford, don't spout rubbish when you weren't there and weren't involved. We couldn't meet his demands, which others obviously could. Had he been a key position player, maybe we would have - all about how your list looks, as opposed to just chasing anyone and everyone.

That’s quite incredible if true Thommo. I know of at least one club in div 1 who would have been twice that figure. Saying this, I’m not sure it’s sustainable. One of the obstacles for Sunshine Coast clubs to put hand up to playing qafl footy is this idea that it will cost a small fortune to do so and be competitive.

The wage bill is what you make it.

The difference between Div 1 and QAFL is the fees paid to AFLQ, not the match payments to the players.

There is no reason a sunny coast side couldn't compete in the QAFL and do so with ease both financially and on-field as well.

Problem is which club?

Also: where are these figures that were 'released' about match payments in the QAFL?

I have no doubt there are a small number of players in the comp receiving $400 to $500 a game ... a minority though .
At a rough estimate , there would be clubs spending some 50k to 60k on total player payments ..reasonable amount I feel.

have heard the two grand final teams had match payments of $80k+ for the year, and thats just what they report to AFLQ

And the 2 clubs that played off in the Div 1 GF would have been at the pointy end of player payments too. It is just what it is. Doesnt mean you cant compete if you dont pay big, just have to be smart with it all and have a good junior program and a bit of luck as well.

And the 2 clubs that played off in the Div 1 GF would have been at the pointy end of player payments too. It is just what it is. Doesnt mean you cant compete if you dont pay big, just have to be smart with it all and have a good junior program and a bit of luck as well.

And having your facilities near the sand and surf doesn't hurt in getting southerners to your club either!! Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast clubs have this huge advantage as well.

I’d be shocked if all Brisbane clubs were less than 30k. Less than 2 k per match so that’s like $80 per player per game. Sure the young fellas would be on less than that but I seriously doubt established senior players would be on less than $100 per game. If you can find 15 senior mature state league players on less than $100 then well done, not possible on the Gold Coast.

I’d say if your player budget is genuinely less than 30k in the state league then good luck ever making a grand final. Need to find another 20k and get to 50-60k to really have any chance

you have to remember that the brisbane cluibs all have a $50k handbrake with ground maintenance than GC clubs don't have, hence the disparity in match payments.

Vultures and PBC could have exact same revenue, sponsorship, everything. but one club spends $70k maintaining their field and the other doesn't.

Conceiveably, they could spend that entire disparity of match payments for players

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep as has been discussed on here before the council does the majority of ground management for the GC clubs and charges us high rates for the privilege and if you are spending 70 k for 8 home games then you need to get yourself a better deal

And having your facilities near the sand and surf doesn't hurt in getting southerners to your club either!! Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast clubs have this huge advantage as well.

True but do agree with 2010. When the economy here is good then it helps immensely and that local economy is a bit more variable than brisbane

you have to remember that the brisbane cluibs all have a $50k handbrake with ground maintenance than GC clubs don't have, hence the disparity in match payments.

Vultures and PBC could have exact same revenue, sponsorship, everything. but one club spends $70k maintaining their field and the other doesn't.

Conceiveably, they could spend that entire disparity of match payments for players

I don’t believe $70k to look after a ground. If it is then it would be a shared cost. That’s ridiculous. Get an old retiree to help out!

Yep as has been discussed on here before the council does the majority of ground management for the GC clubs and charges us high rates for the privilege and if you are spending 70 k for 8 home games then you need to get yourself a better deal

Agree 2010 PREMIER ..... surely it doesnt cost 50k to 70k in council charges for the Brissy QAFL clubs !!!!!

Agree 2010 PREMIER ..... surely it doesnt cost 50k to 70k in council charges for the Brissy QAFL clubs !!!!!

it doesn't cost that in council charges, they have nothing to do with it.

The field maintenance is left up to the clubs, that includes maintaining everything. For us, thats 2 x fields, all the club surrounds, the clubhouse itself etc.

We built new changerooms and the council kindly slapped us with a $60k infrastructure charge.

Field maintenance is about $50-$70k, with a large amount of volunteer labour. That includes $30k+ worth of water alone, top dressing, mowing every week, linemarking, fuel, equipment maintenance etc

Our field isn't exactly in great nick either, imagine what it should cost. It's pretty hard when you have 300+ juniors and 4 senior sides using it every week to keep it tip top (especially when it was once a tip) - we ran a womens team as well for 10 years (before AFLQ jumped on the bandwagon) and would like to introduce womens footy again, but its hard to find the room!

I’d be shocked if all Brisbane clubs were less than 30k. Less than 2 k per match so that’s like $80 per player per game. Sure the young fellas would be on less than that but I seriously doubt established senior players would be on less than $100 per game. If you can find 15 senior mature state league players on less than $100 then well done, not possible on the Gold Coast.

I’d say if your player budget is genuinely less than 30k in the state league then good luck ever making a grand final. Need to find another 20k and get to 50-60k to really have any chance

I'm not sure what is public and what isn't, but we were well under $30k for the first 4 years of QAFL and will be again in 2018. Remember we regularly field 10-15 club juniors in our QAFL side, not many others can do that. If Harwood told other clubs he wanted some huge amount, it was probably just to get them to leave him alone.

We have played finals in 2 of 4 seasons and been Top 3 with that budget, so its going ok. We are well aware that nearby clubs spend more, and we know a couple of GC clubs spend 2.5-3 times that, but we want to build something sustainable. If we had the coin, we may spend it - or we may use it to improve facilities for our juniors and youth footy.

have heard the two grand final teams had match payments of $80k+ for the year, and thats just what they report to AFLQ
Out of interest since you are saying each club spent over $80k, what would you say the payments for some of their higher profile players would be? Retzlaff, mills, hicks, Burge, Douglas, headland.etc ?

Totally agree there smy with the top 3 sides in div 1 (and Springwood for majority of 2017) pretty even scoreboard wise but vastly vary in player payments I know Noosas was quite high in 2017 due to having a paid playing coach and also the 50 bucks a win for all senior players so only losing 2 fixture games that adds up.as far as I know no noosa player gets any more than 250 a game and as mentioned so many times on forum before it's about sustainability.in nine of the past 11 years from 2006 Noosa have consistently sat around the 50 to 60 k mark have been to the big dance 6 times winning 2 flags and being losing prelim finalists the remaining three years in that time.in the other two years where we were no where near being contenders in 2013 and 2016 our player payments were halved.it takes a lot of hard work,having top
People involved(mainly volunteers if possible) and a bit of luck and hopefully that sustainability can be achieved.in the past 5 or so years we have been able to utilise our grounds and facities(ie/ home game presidents lunches)to make that financial sustainability a lot easier and have had over many years a select few people whose volunteering efforts re; ground and clubroom maintainence had been such a saver money wise.the old retirees worth there weight in gold

Out of interest since you are saying each club spent over $80k, what would you say the payments for some of their higher profile players would be? Retzlaff, mills, hicks, Burge, Douglas, headland.etc ?

Only the clubs and players know exactly but the top paid players in the comp (like those mentioned and a few others) would be on between $500-$700 per game. In this comp it’s big money but chicken feed compared to what they could get in vic

it doesn't cost that in council charges, they have nothing to do with it.

The field maintenance is left up to the clubs, that includes maintaining everything. For us, thats 2 x fields, all the club surrounds, the clubhouse itself etc.

We built new changerooms and the council kindly slapped us with a $60k infrastructure charge.

Field maintenance is about $50-$70k, with a large amount of volunteer labour. That includes $30k+ worth of water alone, top dressing, mowing every week, linemarking, fuel, equipment maintenance etc

Our field isn't exactly in great nick either, imagine what it should cost. It's pretty hard when you have 300+ juniors and 4 senior sides using it every week to keep it tip top (especially when it was once a tip) - we ran a womens team as well for 10 years (before AFLQ jumped on the bandwagon) and would like to introduce womens footy again, but its hard to find the room!

I'm not sure what is public and what isn't, but we were well under $30k for the first 4 years of QAFL and will be again in 2018. Remember we regularly field 10-15 club juniors in our QAFL side, not many others can do that. If Harwood told other clubs he wanted some huge amount, it was probably just to get them to leave him alone.

We have played finals in 2 of 4 seasons and been Top 3 with that budget, so its going ok. We are well aware that nearby clubs spend more, and we know a couple of GC clubs spend 2.5-3 times that, but we want to build something sustainable. If we had the coin, we may spend it - or we may use it to improve facilities for our juniors and youth footy.

The maggies lucky to have you Thommo.
Like the focus on sustainability and facilities. My club Broadbeach has over the years put a very high value on and placed a lot of resources into facilities. At times this has impacted on field success.

I’m not denying the coast clubs have a leg up with ground maintenance but water, line marking, maintenance of club are all costs that the council down here do not cover, these are on the clubs, and that we get charged 20-30k for rates which covers the mowing etc of the field. So the advantage is not as much as people believe.

The difference between the haves and the have nots is not council maintaining grounds but sadly all to do with poker machines. The clubs with profitable gaming venues will always have more money to spend on players and thus have more success. It’s no coincidence that the premiers of the last 3 years have thriving social club venues in areas where people play pokies.

Absolutely nfi.

I just heard through the grapevine that all the clubs were told at a QAFL meeting what each of them spent on players. So not publicly released as claimed by Tommo, but the numbers were put on the table.

I was told that nobody was over $100k, but there were 2 clubs up over $80k (unsurprisingly the GF teams) and that it went all the way down to Sandgate at around $20k with Morningside/Grange the biggest spending Brisbane clubs around $30-$40k.

Surfers and Broadbeach more than that, but way less than their GC counterparts and Vultures and Magpies in the $25k-$30k bracket.

Based on that, Mounties clearly getting best value for money!

The maggies lucky to have you Thommo.
Like the focus on sustainability and facilities. My club Broadbeach has over the years put a very high value on and placed a lot of resources into facilities. At times this has impacted on field success.

Well done. Broady have the best ground/facilities in the comp. Natural site advantages, but utilised really well.

I’m not denying the coast clubs have a leg up with ground maintenance but water, line marking, maintenance of club are all costs that the council down here do not cover, these are on the clubs, and that we get charged 20-30k for rates which covers the mowing etc of the field. So the advantage is not as much as people believe.

I don't think you post for the water on the fields do you?

We still pay rates btw!

The difference between the haves and the have nots is not council maintaining grounds but sadly all to do with poker machines. The clubs with profitable gaming venues will always have more money to spend on players and thus have more success. It’s no coincidence that the premiers of the last 3 years have thriving social club venues in areas where people play pokies.

We had pokies, opted to get rid of them. Bad look for a community facility imo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back