Podcast What's the podcast you last listened to?

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree, and I also love when Lee is pressured into one too many stars.
He gets Lee pretty messed up

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Sep 24, 2008
MuMuLand
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Celtic, West Perth, Glory, S'Roos
Finally listening to 'Le Show' which is the Harry Shearer podcast of him rounding up the week's news with little music comedy interludes. Drips with satire and is fantastic. Can't believe I missed this for so long.

Aug 2, 2007
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Packers, Bulls, Ducks, Angels
Listened to Dan Carlin on Sam Harris' podcast and it may be my favourite Harris episode. Great discussion mostly about terrorism and US foreign policy.

Feb 17, 2006
Terror Lake
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Isotopes
I'm a fan of Dan Carlin's Hardcore History. Super long podcasts, but he has a great story telling ability and a great voice for podcasts. His Blueprint for Armageddon series (about WW1) was amazing, and chilling.

He tackles a variety of historical events - Ghengis Khan and family, Julius Cesar etc.

Cheers for this. Am up to ep 5 of the Blueprint for Armageddon.
Caught the beginning scenes of Saving Private Ryan the other night. Fictionalised and a different war but still reinforced Carlin's commentary on mechanised warfare and calculated carnage.

Dec 21, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Casefile - easily my favourite podcasts. The first few eps are very raw but once the host gets his head around podcasting he absolutely nails it. Jonestown, The East Area Rapist and the Battle of Alcatraz highlights for me.

Sword and Scale - Yeah Mike is a dick but it's a pretty decent listen

Thinking Sideways- usually some interesting stuff

Australian true crime - if someone told me to check out Meshel Laurie's new podcast id tell them to * off, but it's good and she's good in it.

The Rewatchables - if you grew up on 90s movies this one is for you. Any of the ones with shea Serrano are great, especially Speed and Scream.

What really happened? - No Thanks Sam, about the Jordan retirement to baseball was interesting. As was the one about Ali.

99% Invisible - listening to a lot of true crime (the ones above as well as True Crime Garage, The Unresolved, serial etc) this is a nice light way of breaking things up. Some interesting stuff! The sounds of sport one was great.

The Howie Games - a good sports chat. Luc Longly was a good one.

Open to suggestions of others... someone tell me a great Joe Rogan episode, because the one I listened to was ******* s**t and I want to give it another try.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dec 21, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Serial s1 and S-Town were the best two I've listened to by far. These are more in the style of a mini-series type format.

In terms of a more serialised format I listen to RealFooty, Blank Slate movie podcast and a range of poker ones as well. Always open to more.
I love true crime but found serial just okay. Could have been done in 2-3 eps.

swiftdog

Premiership Player
Sep 26, 2005
melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Most of the podcasts I’ve listened to over the years have been listed (Serial S1 my personal favorite). A couple of TV/movies ones I like:

Four Finger Discount - Two guys from Geelong sequentially reviewing every episode of The Simpsons. They do their research and often provide pretty interesting background information. It’s not too much more than two guys shooting the breeze about The Simpsons but it works

Plumbing the Death Star/Death Eaters - Another one I find pretty entertaining but haven’t listened to in a while. From memory their earlier episodes were mainly Star Wars or Harry Potter based but think it’s more or less anything pop culture/TV/movie now. They basically ask a question of a particular TV/movie universe and then take it as far as they can/answer the question as entertainingly as possible.

I love true crime but found serial just okay. Could have been done in 2-3 eps.
Yeah. I'm no true crime expert or anything but it was heavily edited for dramatisation which I didn't mind at all, with it not being my favorite genre or anything. I would imagine that more typical true crime stuff wouldn't be as dramatic and more informative. Similar to the difference between hard scifi and space opera stuff. WRT Serial I was totally on board with the more entry level presentation. I was pretty hooked.

I liked S-Town even more just because of how interesting John B was and the fact it went in a totally different direction to where it initially intended.

jabba5114

Premiership Player
Jan 23, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
How did this get made. loving it so far. Ripping on movies with various special guests

Sent from my 0PJA10 using Tapatalk

Dec 21, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Yeah. I'm no true crime expert or anything but it was heavily edited for dramatisation which I didn't mind at all, with it not being my favorite genre or anything. I would imagine that more typical true crime stuff wouldn't be as dramatic and more informative. Similar to the difference between hard scifi and space opera stuff. WRT Serial I was totally on board with the more entry level presentation. I was pretty hooked.

I liked S-Town even more just because of how interesting John B was and the fact it went in a totally different direction to where it initially intended.
S Town is on my list once I catch up on all the sword and scale eps, now that I'm up to date with Casefile.
I didn't bother with serial season 2. From all reports it wasn't as good as season 1 so I didn't download it.

S Town is on my list once I catch up on all the sword and scale eps, now that I'm up to date with Casefile.
I didn't bother with serial season 2. From all reports it wasn't as good as season 1 so I didn't download it.
Yeah I didn't last long with Serial s2. Maybe got 3-4 eps in before it lost me. Just didn't grab me like s1 did.

Freshwater

Premiership Player
Oct 30, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Joe Rogan seems pretty popular around here and for good reason. He has interviewed Jordan Peterson a few times and his second interview with him (I think the interview at the start of this whole thread) Joe said it was his favourite ever after 900+ interviews.
Dave Rubin is also fantastic as a few have mentioned here and he tries to bring a real civility into modern ideas.

Mar 17, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Can you recommend an ep specifically? I tried it out because I heard good things here and went with the first one 'Cliven Bundy' but switched it off half way. Was terrible. Does it get better as it goes, or it's just not for me?
its not teh best episode , try some of my personal faves. Whalesplosion. 10 cent beer night. Errol Flynn. the 2nd one called Purity Ball is really good

_VXV

Jesus Horne-Francis
Oct 12, 2014
etHELLton
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
its not teh best episode , try some of my personal faves. Whalesplosion. 10 cent beer night. Errol Flynn. the 2nd one called Purity Ball is really good
10 cent beer night is one of the best, the one on Hugh Glass whom The Revenant is based on is worth checking out. For me the volume fluctuations are sometimes too much but still enjoy the content.

Back