Opinion Jackson Thurlow

Remove this Banner Ad

Warhorse is a bit of a miserable bastard but nothing that he said there was really that unfair. Stewart has a real crack and played some good footy this year, but he does fumble a lot and could have defended a lot more efficiently in that particular play if he had cleaner hands. His year was not really that different from ruggles’ 2016 impact wise, although his build means he is overall a more versatile option going forward. I like Stewart and think he has a future, but the critique was fair enough.

What he did do CC was make sure the ball stayed in front of him....a primary objective for any defender attacking the ball at full pace. Unlike what was suggested, the coaches would have been very happy with that particular play.

Its what defenders are coached to do.... i.e. keep the ball in front of you and don't overrun it under any circumstances....

The "critique", ( if you can call it that), was poor.

What he did do CC was make sure the ball stayed in front of him....a primary objective for any defender attacking the ball at full pace. Unlike what was suggested, the coaches would have been very happy with that particular play.

Its what defenders are coached to do.... i.e. keep the ball in front of you and don't overrun it under any circumstances....

Have to be honest, I think it's only called poor because of who made it.

Stewart's got promise, but he does fumble. A lot. It's not poor to point that out.

Have to be honest, I think it's only called poor because of who made it.

Stewart's got promise, but he does fumble. A lot. It's not poor to point that out.

No its not...but he did more than that.

I gave my opinion on why it was poor example he used in my answer to CC...I'm not asking you to agree with it.

Very quick to give me a day off based purely on disagreeing with my opinion. Very classy :rolleyes:

He did not have the composure to pick the ball up.

I said he is an average player. Well if you are comparing to other players in the league he is probably below average by position.

Sure he shows heart but i have been close to breaking a couple of televisions at home due to his horrible clangers. He needs to improve big time under pressure before he is a sure thing

It’s just an opinion and even if warhorse is a negative nelly, I thought what he said in this instance was fair enough. For the record, I enjoyed that bit of play and thought it was a fist-pump moment, but he is fumbly (wtf is that a word) and he did fumble - a milburn or Enright (or even a thurlow) would never have found themselves in that position.

Very quick to give me a day off based purely on disagreeing with my opinion. Very classy :rolleyes:

He did not have the composure to pick the ball up.

I said he is an average player. Well if you are comparing to other players in the league he is probably below average by position.

Sure he shows heart but i have been close to breaking a couple of televisions at home due to his horrible clangers. He needs to improve big time under pressure before he is a sure thing

FIRST YEAR PLAYERS take time to develop FFS... :drunk:

Effen kids with no patience and want everything now perfect or its s**t and no good.

GO Catters

No one said Stewart needs to be perfect. But he needs to fumble a lot less, as well as keep his feet better.

I thought he did it well after he got continuity in his game.

Struggled for 4 games, and by game 5 he was sure with his hands. Then he broke his jaw, struggled in his first game back, before he was dependable again.
He was good defensively all throughout the season.

He's probably the only player I've got "blind faith" in performing come Finals next year. If he plays at least 20 H&A games next year, he'll be very dependable in Finals IMO.

No one said Stewart needs to be perfect. But he needs to fumble a lot less, as well as keep his feet better.

just another snide post deriding the club and its players - not you - the poster in question.

It wont last long.

GO Catters

I 100% agree... But people dismissing him as no good based off his first year are absolutely ridiculous... and some dickhead wants to make a definitive statement like that they deserve to cop heat back their way (not directed at you in any way fwiw)

He had a much much better 1st year that probably anyone else drafted around his number (i say this without research) and I'm looking forward to seeing how he develops for sure... what impresses me the most is his ability and confidence to pull the trigger on an attacking kick.
That is what will make him as a player IMO.

I thought he did it well after he got continuity in his game.

Struggled for 4 games, and by game 5 he was sure with his hands. Then he broke his jaw, struggled in his first game back, before he was dependable again.
He was good defensively all throughout the season.

He's probably the only player I've got "blind faith" in performing come Finals next year. If he plays at least 20 H&A games next year, he'll be very dependable in Finals IMO.
His ability to bounce back and improve was fantastic IMO. He's a quick learner and it should hold him in good stead

If the MC back Thurlow in to start in the seniors in 2018 he will perform & lock himself into our Best 22.

Another pre-season into his knee helps build more confidence, with Mackie retired it means Thurlow can play a more attacking rebounding role :thumbsu:

If the MC back Thurlow in to start in the seniors in 2018 he will perform & lock himself into our Best 22.

Another pre-season into his knee helps build more confidence, with Mackie retired it means Thurlow can play a more attacking rebounding role :thumbsu:
I think we all got carried away with our expectations last year as he looked in ripping shape in the pre season. Make or break year and we need his kicking skills in the backline

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought he was really good that game at home against Richmond late last year and then he got dropped, he looked to be starting to get that confidence back in himself

FIRST YEAR PLAYERS take time to develop FFS... :drunk:
Effen kids with no patience and want everything now perfect or its s**t and no good.

GO Catters
Totally agree that 1st year (and depending on the size/position, 2nd/3rd year) players should get time to develop.

We (Cats) have the luxury to carry kids (inexperienced) for a while at least.

This was on JT (Cats edition). Thurlow has had interruptions.

For mine, we are building the next 'big thing'. Thurlow is potentially an integral part.

Personal viewpoint is if JT gets his health right Id be putting him and cocky in defense and time in to Bews' tank to make him the midfielder his dad was. The boy (Bews) can really play.
Glad you added Cocky, as we will need somebody with dash.
Agree about both Bews and Thurlow

Personal viewpoint is if JT gets his health right Id be putting him and cocky in defense and time in to Bews' tank to make him the midfielder his dad was. The boy (Bews) can really play.

Interesting suggestion. I'm not sure we need to. We don't have many lockdown small defenders, and Bews is now the best of them by far. We've already got tons of midfielders.

I also doubt very, very much whether Cockatoo has any kind of defensive mindset. We've already seen it demonstrably not work with Murdoch. I'd rather see Cockatoo establish himself at the forward end of the ground.

Interesting suggestion. I'm not sure we need to. We don't have many lockdown small defenders, and Bews is now the best of them by far. We've already got tons of midfielders.

I also doubt very, very much whether Cockatoo has any kind of defensive mindset. We've already seen it demonstrably not work with Murdoch. I'd rather see Cockatoo establish himself at the forward end of the ground.
I remember Tuohy did a good job on eddie betts.
I just think with bews added to scooter duncan menegola would deepen our midfield enough to allow letts sel danger run more rampant in the forward line
I also dont think you can compare murder with cocky. Let cocky crunch the likes of betts and see if he thinks they compare

Surprised by the number of people querying him. An ACL requires a good couple of years to fully recover, both physically and mentally. See David Wojcinski in 2005 and 2006.

JT got through a full season last year and is reportedly having a good pre-season, so I expect he'll improve vastly on his 2017 form.

On the news tonight in Tassie, though I think it was the 7 feed anyway, that he is being set to play wing next year.
He has actually played there quite a bit for us, especially in 2015. It has seemed fairly obvious to me that it will be his likely slot if he gets a gig, given we have Bews, Stewart, Kolo, Guthrie x2 and Tuohy available as small-medium defenders. They may well roll him and Tuohy back and forth, given Tuohy spent time on the wing last year as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back