Which coach is under the most pressure for 2018?

Which coach is under the most pressure?

• Don Pyke

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Chris Fagan

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Brendan Bolton

Votes: 8 2.3%
  • Nathan Buckley

Votes: 121 34.4%
  • John Worsfold

Votes: 10 2.8%
  • Ross Lyon

Votes: 22 6.3%
  • Stuart Dew

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Chris Scott

Votes: 16 4.5%
  • Leon Cameron

Votes: 12 3.4%
  • Alistair Clarkson

Votes: 5 1.4%
  • Simon Goodwin

Votes: 15 4.3%
  • Brad Scott

Votes: 11 3.1%
  • Ken Hinkley

Votes: 26 7.4%
  • Damian Hardwick

Votes: 11 3.1%
  • Alan Richardson

Votes: 60 17.0%
  • John Longmire

Votes: 5 1.4%
  • Adam Simpson

Votes: 24 6.8%
  • Luke Beveridge

Votes: 4 1.1%

• Total voters

donkeypunchd

Club Legend
Nov 26, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
This thread is self explanatory, with the pre-season in full swing which coach will be under the most pressure to perform in 2018?

For mine Goodwin will be under an enormous amount of pressure; we should have made finals last year and anything less will be seen as a step back this year. Supporters patience is wearing thin too, 11 years without finals is a very long time.

TeeJay Blue

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 11, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
At least your team will regularly experience a good win.

The Carlton machine is still a few bolt-ons short.

Benny78

Cancelled
BeanCoiNFT Investor
Apr 4, 2016
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ken Hinkley
Whilst definitely not the most under pressure. If Dimma don't make finals next year will they really keep him on another 5yrs?

Whilst definitely not the most under pressure. If Dimma don't make finals next year will they really keep him on another 5yrs?

People wonder (and whinge at length about) why Richmond fans keep talking about their club in threads everywhere.....Yet again, it's fans of other clubs are the ones bringing it up with comments that even they concede are off topic (see the bolded bit).

Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
Given that he's been mentioned a couple of times already, Richo will certainly be under the pump if for instance we don't have a bad injury run and yet really regress, but as long as nothing severe like that happens, I don't think there will be a lot of heat on him, because:

A: We reportedly have the 2nd-least experienced and 4th youngest list, so you wouldn't for instance generally expect a club in that situation to be making finals,

B: On top of A we have a pretty bloody hard looking draw (especially for a team who didn't play finals last season- Champion Data rank it the 6th hardest), which makes it even less likely or reasonable to expect that we'll make the 8,

C: Most are currently (on here at least) tipping us to finish in the 9-12 type range, so if we do finish in that sort of range it's not like it will be a big shock to the football public, causing them to get the pitchforks out for him,

D: He's only just a couple of months ago signed a two year contract extension, to the end of 2020, so it would take an awful lot for him to say lose his job any time soon.

We will however need to be seen to be making progress and going somewhere though (even if we do have a bad injury run), given he's been there for a while now and we've been right on the cusp of the 8 for the last couple of years.

Last edited:

Benny78

Cancelled
BeanCoiNFT Investor
Apr 4, 2016
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ken Hinkley
People wonder (and whinge at length about) why Richmond fans keep talking about their club in threads everywhere.....Yet again, it's fans of other clubs are the ones bringing it up with comments that even they concede are off topic (see the bolded bit).

Dimma is by far the most under pressure imo. Has to back it up and doesn't have the list to do so confidently. But Buckley is more probable to go sooner.

mike123

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Pokemon is Life
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus
The only pressure Buckley is under is media pressure. Well come up with the excuses to keep him safe and honour his contract to 2019.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Dimma is by far the most under pressure imo. Has to back it up and doesn't have the list to do so confidently. But Buckley is more probable to go sooner.
Wait what?
Bloke just won a flag. He is least likely to be sacked this year.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
You really are obsessed:rolleyes:

Nathan Buckley- Can't continue to go backwards
Leon Cameron- Grand Final at a minimum
Chris Scott- Another strong h&a season only to be exposed in finals again, questions should be asked.
Alan Richardson- They need to make finals this year or should be in trouble
Adam Simpson- West Coast have high expectations, been coach for a while and not delivered what they expect.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
Others may not agree but I think Longmire is under pressure in the sense that the last 5 years the Swans could have won the Grand Final but always stumbled at either the last or second last hurdle. I think a more imaginative coach would have achieved more.
I'd agree with that IF your supporter base was more emphatic, IF Sydney had a base like Coll, Carl, Ess, or Rich then yeah top of the list given the amount of opportunities this team has created and failed. Still nothing like what we did from 77 to 81, played all GF's bar 78 for nought victories

Who is Alan Richardson?

images (9).jpg

Barry_Badrinath

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 23, 2011
Bathing in Premiership Glory
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Grand Finals at the Gabba

I don’t think a premiership coach has ever been under less pressure than Dimma. Unlike the rest of the footy community, Richmond fans aren’t jealous morons who think their flag was undeserved and need to back it up to prove they are legit.

He’d need to win back to back spoons before he gets put under the pump.

Brad Goodman

His name isn't important
Oct 7, 2002
AFL Club
Collingwood
Others may not agree but I think Longmire is under pressure in the sense that the last 5 years the Swans could have won the Grand Final but always stumbled at either the last or second last hurdle. I think a more imaginative coach would have achieved more.

Longmire and Goodwin have both not quite managed to emulate the man who made them - IMO not so much a failure on their behalf, rather a strong endorsement of just how good Paul Roos was.

Back