Injury/Rehab Injury/Niggle Management - w/ cptkirk

Remove this Banner Ad

Nice thread. My knee's tweaked from paused squats, what's the thick ligament on the back of the knee? I think it's that. They've always been so tight for me to the point that it's actually hard to stretch my hammies without feeling them stretch first.

PCL?
It’s also pretty hard to stretch ligaments; to stretch the PCL it requires about 4000 Newtons Which is equivalent to over 400kg.
They also have no motor fibre properties (golgi tendon, muscle spindle) and won’t “lengthen” in the way that muscles do when you stretch (which acutely at least is entirely neurological)

Anyone seen the NFL knee injury from the other day?
Bloke dislocated his actual knee joint (not the kneecap/patella; the actual tibia and femur) and in the process ripped through the main artery that supplies the lower leg and foot

Anyone seen the NFL knee injury from the other day?
Bloke dislocated his actual knee joint (not the kneecap/patella; the actual tibia and femur) and in the process ripped through the main artery that supplies the lower leg and foot

Haven't seen it, but heard about it on SEN/RSN......it was reported that amputation was a possible option.

Haven't seen it, but heard about it on SEN/RSN......it was reported that amputation was a possible option.

Any time a vascular structure is compromised there’s a risk of amputation (in the same way once you involve the spinal cord there’s a risk/chance of paralysis).
IMO it’s just a case of the doctors/surgeons letting a patient know all the potential outcomes regardless of how small the chances of it actually occurring are in the name of informed consent (kinda like a doctor *should* tell you all the possible side effects of a medication even if there’s a 0.01% probability of it occurring)

*edit*
With all that being said;
“Failure to revascularize within 6–8 hours results in an unacceptably high amputation rate.”
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3966444/#!po=12.1622

*double edit*
Further reading (mostly case studies) seems to indicated prognosis is largely dependant on diagnosis ie the high amputation rate seems to be a result of the condition not being diagnosed in time vs the initial damage being too severe

Last edited:
PCL?
It’s also pretty hard to stretch ligaments; to stretch the PCL it requires about 4000 Newtons Which is equivalent to over 400kg.
They also have no motor fibre properties (golgi tendon, muscle spindle) and won’t “lengthen” in the way that muscles do when you stretch (which acutely at least is entirely neurological)

That's interesting, I'd have thought it to be a lot less since having them tear isn't that uncommon right? I think it is the PCL, but whatever I did it was minor because I'm pretty much back to to 100%.

That's interesting, I'd have thought it to be a lot less since having them tear isn't that uncommon right? I think it is the PCL, but whatever I did it was minor because I'm pretty much back to to 100%.

You’d be surprised at how much force we actually put through our body during activity eg a 100kg individual running would be loading the knee joint anywhere between 600-1200kg depending on how (and how fast) they run.
Under normal circumstances the load is dispersed across several structures (muscle, tendon, ligament, meniscus, bone).
When a ligament injury occcurs it’s because those other structures are put in a position where they don’t offer much, or any, support OR the force is so great that the muscles aren’t strong enough to hold everything in place

Anything i can do for a sore elbow. Tennis Elbow/Tendon injury besides rest.

I rested for almost a week from gym and it got worst even from sleeping maybe awkwardly on it

Pushing is okay with it but pulling or lifting isnt good

Anything i can do for a sore elbow. Tennis Elbow/Tendon injury besides rest.

I rested for almost a week from gym and it got worst even from sleeping maybe awkwardly on it

Pushing is okay with it but pulling or lifting isnt good

Early days - isometrics
Then progress to dynamic movements done very slowly (sounds counter intuitive but really dynamic refers to anything where you move)

always told calf injury is an old man injury am 42 went for run calf was a little tight took off felt like I had been shot now feels like I have a permanent cramp whats the rehab needed?

think i've strained my gluteus medius while doing dumbbell side bends this morning, hopefully just minor

felt a slight pinch at the time but it went away, now just some minor discomfort/weakness doesn't seem serious

An unlikely injury from that exercise. A glute medius tear would cause you to have difficulty standing on one leg and abducting your hip. Could be a little muscle spasm..

always told calf injury is an old man injury am 42 went for run calf was a little tight took off felt like I had been shot now feels like I have a permanent cramp whats the rehab needed?
I assume you are a few weeks post this injury now. Calf tears are common in that age group. Number one factor is strength. Build up to doing 25-30 single leg calf raises (depending on activity level). Glute max strength highly correlated too, strengthen the glutes. I'd add posterior chain into the forefront of your gym program.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Welp, things had been going a little too well for me but this morning my golden injury run was broken.

Little back story, for the past month or so I'd had some very light dull pain deep in my right shoulder. I'd suspected some kind of rotator cuff issue but didn't really worry too much about it because the pain was minor and only showed up on push days intermittently. I always made sure to warm up my rotator cuff anyway but this slight pain made me even more conscious of it.

Then this morning on my second set of heavy military press the slight pain graduated into a raging inferno. Thankfully the pain has subsided and I was able to complete some lightweight pressing and pec fly and dumbbell pull overs so the morning session was not completely wasted.

Plan for recovery is ice pack, ibuprofen, stretching and absolutely zero exercises involving the shoulder/pressing girdle (isolation pec and tricep exercises are ok) until the inflammation has dissipated.

If I'm still having issues in a week or so I'll try schedule a cortisone injection or at least seek some professional assistance.

Interested in anyone's thoughts or advice.

Cheers

Also just noticed my shoulder is clicking when raised or lowered behind me.

Not sure if that makes any difference to diagnosis or prognosis.

Clicking is fine if it’s not accompanied by pain.
Also, cortisone is very hit and miss (more miss than hit), likely provide only temporary relief and rots your bones.

Suffering from heel spurs and plantar fasciitis. Struggling to deal with it. Can barely walk after cricket/footy training. Has anyone ever had this issue? If so, how’d you deal with it or treat it? Thanks in advance.

Suffering from heel spurs and plantar fasciitis. Struggling to deal with it. Can barely walk after cricket/footy training. Has anyone ever had this issue? If so, how’d you deal with it or treat it? Thanks in advance.

Plantar fasciitis causes the heel spurs so it’s a case of treat one to treat the other.
Inevitably any overuse injury is just that - basically the demands you’ve placed on the tissues have exceeded their work capacity and recoverability.
The stages of rehab (for anything) are fairly simple but of course the devil is in the details
Stage 1) allow the tissue to heal sufficiently to begin the next stage
Stage 2) gradually load the tissue to improve its resilience
I’m not sure how long the break is over Xmas/New Year but hopefully it’s long enough that when cricket/training rolls around you’re up to the second stage. From there it’s a matter of load management eg if you were running on it 8 hours a week you may need to start back at only 1 or 2 hours, and only incrementally progress forwards in time within pain free limits.
The last part is a big issue I had with physios a decade ago when I had shin splints/compartment syndrome. Neglecting their use of shitty manual therapy modalities like dry needling and ultrasound; not once was I ever told that when I returned to running that I shouldn’t just jump back in with full training

Welp, things had been going a little too well for me but this morning my golden injury run was broken.

Little back story, for the past month or so I'd had some very light dull pain deep in my right shoulder. I'd suspected some kind of rotator cuff issue but didn't really worry too much about it because the pain was minor and only showed up on push days intermittently. I always made sure to warm up my rotator cuff anyway but this slight pain made me even more conscious of it.

Then this morning on my second set of heavy military press the slight pain graduated into a raging inferno. Thankfully the pain has subsided and I was able to complete some lightweight pressing and pec fly and dumbbell pull overs so the morning session was not completely wasted.

Plan for recovery is ice pack, ibuprofen, stretching and absolutely zero exercises involving the shoulder/pressing girdle (isolation pec and tricep exercises are ok) until the inflammation has dissipated.

If I'm still having issues in a week or so I'll try schedule a cortisone injection or at least seek some professional assistance.

Interested in anyone's thoughts or advice.

Cheers
well I kinda hit the panic button a bit too hard here, completed a heavy bench press session this morning without issue

thank my lucky stars

Any tips on dealing with a sore tailbone? I thought I was just being a sook but went to do deadlifts yesterday and had to stop as it was really hurting. Hurt to squat (not at gym just cleaning the house etc) the rest of the day and this morning.

I can’t find a stretch to target the area either.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Any tips on dealing with a sore tailbone? I thought I was just being a sook but went to do deadlifts yesterday and had to stop as it was really hurting. Hurt to squat (not at gym just cleaning the house etc) the rest of the day and this morning.

I can’t find a stretch to target the area either.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What did you do to it?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back