Movie Rian Johnson Star Wars Trilogy

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
I think the point is that quotas impact quality. If the best people for the job are all white men... And just imagine that for a second, that the best dozen or so candidates for a dozen or so positions are all white men, probably straight, do you give them the jobs? Or open it to diversity for the sake of it?

Would the character of Rose be more bearable if it were Mel Gibson?

Nah I don't think so personally. Dreadful conception.

Sent from mTalk
Rose is a character; if you're looking at her and thinking "Asian hire', then more diversity is clearly needed.

And Mel Gibson is a campaigner. Been in some great movies. But a campaigner, and one who shouldn't be welcomed back with open arms.

Tuco

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts SuperCoach Club Board Winner
Sep 28, 2005
Between ANZ & the SCG
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Bloods
I won't be losing any sleep over what RJ's trilogy might or might not be. Happy to theorise. However I don't plan on spending the next decade whining about them, that's for sure. :p

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
Rose is a character; if you're looking at her and thinking "Asian hire', then more diversity is clearly needed.

And Mel Gibson is a campaigner. Been in some great movies. But a campaigner, and one who shouldn't be welcomed back with open arms.

The example was because I find him a straight white male who to me is a very charismatic actor, much more than whoever played Rose.

Could he have won the character over for me with his superior acting and charisma? No. That's my point. That s**t characters are s**t characters no matter what.

It's still distressing that this writer couldn't make a scene with the two leads work. It's pathetic really.

Sent from mTalk

Yeah that’s a really poor reflection on Rian. Thinking that he could interchange their lines means he didn’t understand their respective characters. The lines shouldn’t be easily interchangeable to begin with. It’s not like their motivations, perceptions are anything alike. They had good chemistry as comrades, though. He should’ve gone with that, and perhaps introduced Rose as a tag-along to mix it up a bit. Ah well.

Edit: FWIW I didn’t mind Rose. She’s cute.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2007
Punt Road
AFL Club
Richmond

Her dead sister is cuter.

IMG_4838.JPG

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Yeah that’s a really poor reflection on Rian. Thinking that he could interchange their lines means he didn’t understand their respective characters. The lines shouldn’t be easily interchangeable to begin with. It’s not like their motivations, perceptions are anything alike. They had good chemistry as comrades, though. He should’ve gone with that, and perhaps introduced Rose as a tag-along to mix it up a bit. Ah well.

The fact their motivations aren't anything alike is likely the reason RJ dropped Poe from the mission. The point of Canto Bight was to show Finn's transformation from someone who only cares about himself and his friends to seeing the bigger picture. That's why a character who has experienced the loss of someone to the First Order and is a bit softer (yes, feminine) was needed. Poe's a hot-head flyboy, not the kind that of character to make Finn look within himself. It would have been a totally different mission. I think people are misreading TJ's comments; Poe and Finn together weren't working for the story, not that he just couldn't think of anything for them to say to each other.

The fact their motivations aren't anything alike is likely the reason RJ dropped Poe from the mission. The point of Canto Bight was to show Finn's transformation from someone who only cares about himself and his friends to seeing the bigger picture. That's why a character who has experienced the loss of someone to the First Order and is a bit softer (yes, feminine) was needed. Poe's a hot-head flyboy, not the kind that of character to make Finn look within himself. It would have been a totally different mission. I think people are misreading TJ's comments; Poe and Finn together weren't working for the story, not that he just couldn't think of anything for them to say to each other.

I don’t disagree with that but I was mostly and specifically criticising part of Rian’s rationale. To say their lines would’ve been interchangeable strongly suggests he hadn’t written the draft properly nor understood their characters because there’s no way their characters should have interchangeable dialogue.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams

I sorta agree.

But that's not why Reanne did it. That's the problem.

Sent from mTalk

Tbonefreo

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 13, 2013
Wagga
AFL Club
Fremantle

Why's that? Honest question I think I was a bit young during the Mel Gibson scandal

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Why's that? Honest question I think I was a bit young during the Mel Gibson scandal
It's not just the fact that he's a racist scumbag who hates Jews (not an exaggeration), he threatened to murder his ex and bury her in a rose garden. And now he's getting a role in Daddy's Home 2 where he plays off the fact he's an abusive campaigner. It's all a bit s**t really. Good director but s**t human being.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Gibson's talent to a-hole ratio puts him in the green IMO. Call me whatever you like, but I enjoy every time he takes the screen or the camera. Not just an actor, a genuine talent.

And to think, if he wasn't a campaigner getting in blue's at the pub, he wouldn't even have a career...

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Gibson's talent to a-hole ratio puts him in the green IMO. Call me whatever you like, but I enjoy every time he takes the screen or the camera. Not just an actor, a genuine talent.

And to think, if he wasn't a campaigner getting in blue's at the pub, he wouldn't even have a career...
Not even close: confirmed racist, confirmed woman abuser, confirmed a-hole. He has talent, but I wouldn't be sad never to see him on screen again, particularly playing off real crimes.

Not even close: confirmed racist, confirmed woman abuser, confirmed a-hole. He has talent, but I wouldn't be sad never to see him on screen again, particularly playing off real crimes.

It's not what you do - it's the team your on when you do it.

Tuco

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts SuperCoach Club Board Winner
Sep 28, 2005
Between ANZ & the SCG
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Bloods
Wouldn't be surprised if this new trilogy will be better than TLJ for the simple fact that RJ can do what ever he wants without ******* up the main saga/legacy.

The sequel trilogy should have been done all by JJ.

That's the hope.

Rian could be an EU resurrectionist. I think that's where his heart is.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
I don't blame RJ for the fact that the studio didn't have a cohesive story outlined with contingency plans in place in case cast members of advancing age and deteriorating health unfortunately couldn't see filming out, and inheriting a rather shallow previous movie that presented a cliffhanger ending.

I do blame him for shithouse new characters, further similarities to previous OT films, a plot full of inconsistency that doesn't even make sense within itself, and another mediocre musical score.

I'm hoping without the burden of studio, merchandise, and saga, he can deliver. I'm not confident, but there's no reason the issues I have with TLJ look like being repeated.

May 15, 2017
My Couch
AFL Club
Richmond
I've seen a few posts on twitter, etc. Saying that RJ's new SW trilogy WILL NOT contain any Jedi or Sith.

I can't confirm if this is true or not but I've seen the same statements from several different places/people.

IMO, if this is true, this is a poor desicion as the Force is the most important aspect in all of SW and there wouldnt much else that you could make 3 movies about.

Back