Your club's identity

Remove this Banner Ad

Please, enlighten us about the empirical evidence that you are basing this on concerning supporter demographics at different clubs. You are basing it on that right? If not you are full of s**t, and this and all future claims of yours should be disregarded.

I mean seriously... "none have an abundance of one over the other" - do you really think that? Let alone the fact that there are more likely to be an abundance of people from certain classes in a supporter base in any given instance simply because there are more people from those classes than others, I doubt very much that historical trends in club support have simply disappeared (especially when families from low SES backgrounds are more likely than not to remain low SES as generations pass).

And why the 1920s? How much do you know about class division and consciounsness in Australia? It appears to be painfully little.

Wouldn't expect any less from a Melbourne supporter, lol.

The Bulldogs demographic appears to have changed over the last 30 years.

It was once a distinctly blue collar membership, much like North.

Nowadays it appears to have become a haven for hipsters.

Then again, the entire competition has undergone a period of planned "Disneyfication", so I suppose it's to be expected.

Last edited:

We used to play in Abbotsford.
Had our own ground with grandstands full of our own supporters. Had our own Social Club too out on the flank and it was really something. Everyone boozed up and crammed in the terraces out front like sardines. After the game all the local pubs were Pies only.
We used to have a designated recruiting area too. It was Collingwood/Abbotsford and a huge swathe of the Northern Suburbs - Reservoir, Heidelberg, Eltham, Greensborough. Trains to those suburbs stopped directly at Victoria Park. They had 100% Collingwood fans on them.
That’s when we were an entity.
Now we play at the MCG just like everyone else. We arent even based in Abbotsford anymore. Our players come from anywhere we can find them.
Are our supporters more rabid, feral etc than others? I don’t think so. They might like to play up to the reputation at bit, but they are no worse than any others. The years have really tempered things down. It’s all a bit homogenised now.

Our club song best expresses our identity.
Some of you may have heard it.

Please, enlighten us about the empirical evidence that you are basing this on concerning supporter demographics at different clubs. You are basing it on that right? If not you are full of s**t, and this and all future claims of yours should be disregarded.

I mean seriously... "none have an abundance of one over the other" - do you really think that? Let alone the fact that there are more likely to be an abundance of people from certain classes in a supporter base in any given instance simply because there are more people from those classes than others, I doubt very much that historical trends in club support have simply disappeared (especially when families from low SES backgrounds are more likely than not to remain low SES as generations pass).

And why the 1920s? How much do you know about class division and consciounsness in Australia? It appears to be painfully little.

Wouldn't expect any less from a Melbourne supporter, lol.

I used the 1920's as an example. Of course in other decades of the 20th century this was also a factor.
Don't be so pedantic.
Your juvenile 'full of s**t' response stereotyping me being a Melbourne Supporter is an immature retort.

I used the 1920's as an example. Of course in other decades of the 20th century this was also a factor.
Don't be so pedantic.
Your juvenile 'full of s**t' response stereotyping me being a Melbourne Supporter is an immature retort.

Your inability to address any of my substantive points demonstrates that what you said was groundless.

And of course it was an immature retort! What else is Bigfooty for?

Are you suggesting that it once existed? :eek:

It has always existed, but it's been known as Shinboner since the late 40's.

North have always been a hard playing club, even when we used to get flogged all the time, we were still hard.

Not sure I’d automatically characterise GWS as working class. Where’d they get all that money from, to put their list together?

And have you seen those whopping great mansions out in the Hills District?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Genuine question. Which part of Sydney's Western region does GWS draw the most fans? Is there a part which they particularly focus on? It is a vast area.
This is what the Giants sent out at the end of last year regarding memberships.
9f91c2d01ace367dc4da4fb727bdf3ef.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

This is what the Giants sent out at the end of last year regarding memberships.
9f91c2d01ace367dc4da4fb727bdf3ef.jpg

Cheers for that. Interesting (and probably worrying) that Blacktown, Parramatta, Canada Bay, Penrith, Macarthur and the Hills (All true Western Sydney, although Hills debatable) only makes up just over 3,500 members. Seems to be a long way to go to win the hearts and minds of the region you are meant to represent and are based.

Also calling it the Orange Army is a bit disingenuous. More like the Orange Division.

Cheers for that. Interesting (and probably worrying) that Blacktown, Parramatta, Canada Bay, Penrith, Macarthur and the Hills (All true Western Sydney, although Hills debatable) only makes up just over 3,500 members. Seems to be a long way to go to win the hearts and minds of the region you are meant to represent and are based.

Also calling it the Orange Army is a bit disingenuous. More like the Orange Division.
Yep. We are gutted we have more members than the football (heartland) teams in Sydney and more than most Sydney NRL(also heartland) teams considering the whole new club/sport for the area thing.
As for Hills isnt in the west? Foolish comment.
But then we havent tried to hide we have a long way to go by putting up silly things like say tarps.

Yep. We are gutted we have more members than the football (heartland) teams in Sydney and more than most Sydney NRL(also heartland) teams considering the whole new club/sport for the area thing.
As for Hills isnt in the west? Foolish comment.
But then we havent tried to hide we have a long way to go by putting up silly things like say tarps.

Nice over reaction. It was just an observation. I reckon the AFL would be incredibly worried that of the 2 million people that live in Western Sydney, less than 5000 have been converted into members of the club. A 0.0025% market penetration coming into their 7th season. I understand that these things take time, but it looks like it will take a while, a generation perhaps.

Nice over reaction. It was just an observation. I reckon the AFL would be incredibly worried that of the 2 million people that live in Western Sydney, less than 5000 have been converted into members of the club. A 0.0025% market penetration coming into their 7th season. I understand that these things take time, but it looks like it will take a while, a generation perhaps.

It's going to take generational increments, just like the Swans.

A couple of flags would help speed things up.

Not at all. No over reaction. Pointing out inaccuracies in your post.
Over 14k last year was from NSW, wheres your 5k figure coming from?

Your observations show you dont know about Western Sydney and your shots (army etc) show you are sad and bored.

Of course it helps just like how it does with Freo and Geelong however Freo get slapped in the face a bit because West Coast and not Perth Eagles. But out of all interstate clubs the ones who really cop it is Port Adelaide which isn’t even a city it’s just one massive area with suburbs around it but does their many generations of history help them? Yeah of course.

Fremantle is not a separate city. It's not even an outer suburb.

I'd just observe that the figures on GWS's largest member areas (and I acknowledge that they were provided by the club) only adds up to about 4500 out of the NSW figure of 14300. I'd be surprised if there were 10000 members away from the concentrated western Sydney & Riverina areas. I don't know how they came up with their figures, but if they did a simple postcode search, it may be just that postcodes from outer rims of those major centres weren't included and are therefore missing substantial numbers. I'd also note that between Blacktown, The Hills, Penrith and Blue Mountains is the Hawkesbury area (where I came from before moving to Canberra), which would have a pretty wide area and large range of postcodes - but doesn't show as having significant numbers. In summary, I just think the number crunching is inaccurate and should only be taken to provide a broad comparison between the areas.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back