Past #36: Josh Williams - drafted #36 2016 ND - 2 games/1 goal - delisted end 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Mo worries. I was just getting in on the overating kids thing. I can't see him putting Atley under pressure either. Maybe one day but not yet.

He is tall and fast tho and has taken some marks so naturally he'll be better than Keith Greig.

Shaun is as safe as houses mate.

Find someone else.

I have to admit, this Williams kid is well overrated based upon exposed form.
Atley’s numbers have been average on and off for a while, his leg speed and a lack of a decent hb replacement in recent years is the only thing that has saved him. In saying that, his numbers as a forward were pretty good and I have him as best 22.

I’m not pumping Williams up or overrating him, as it’s not my thing to do, but if he has a good JLT series and a good start to the vfl season, with his size and pace he is the more obvious (longer term) replacement for a guy that has put in a lot of average performances and teased us a lot in his 150 game career. Replacing in terms of Atley ever becomes s**t enough to be traded or delisted. Ideally and dependent on form/development, I would have both in the firsts.

Last edited:
JW has heaps more work to do before becoming a regular AFL player but he seems to love to work so that'll hopefully take him far. Atley needs to keep improving to hold his spot over the next year or two. If we can get end of first round compensation for him as FA I'd jump at it.

Atley’s numbers have been average on and off for a while, his leg speed and a lack of a decent hb replacement in recent years is the only thing that has saved him. In saying that, his numbers as a forward were pretty good and I have him as best 22.

I’m not pumping Williams up or overrating him, as it’s not my thing to do, but if he has a good JLT series and a good start to the vfl season, with his size and pace he is the obvious (longer term) replacement for a guy that has put in a lot of average performances and teased us a lot in his 150 game career. Ideally and dependent on form, I would have both in the firsts.
Atleys 24, no way JWill is his 'replacement'! They'll play in the same team for the majority of their careers if both are best 22

Atley's best football is still to come. I don't see his spot under threat atm. Will prob have his best year to date this year IMO.

Josh will be a player but his time will come.

Atleys 24, no way JWill is his 'replacement'! They'll play in the same team for the majority of their careers if both are best 22
Age has nothing to do with the replacing at this point with Atley, it is entirely dependent on Atley’s form (which we can all agree on has been fairly average on more than a few occasions) and whether Williams will ever develop into an afl standard player in the long term sense. Williams isn’t the only potential replacement if Atley’s form regresses to the point of needing to be dropped, just the one that seems most obvious due to similar positions and leg speed.

Atley's best football is still to come. I don't see his spot under threat atm. Will prob have his best year to date this year IMO.

Josh will be a player but his time will come.
If I got a dollar for the amount of times I’ve heard or read that first paragraph, I’ll have enough to buy a controlling stake in the Brisbane Lions.

Let’s hope you are right.

I’m not pumping Williams up or overrating him, as it’s not my thing to do, but if he has a good JLT series and a good start to the vfl season, with his size and pace he is the obvious (longer term) replacement for a guy that has put in a lot of average performances and teased us a lot in his 150 game career. Ideally and dependent on form, I would have both in the firsts.

yep I agree. My comments weren't based on JW as a direct replacement for Atley , rather that Atley had better not have one of his inconsistent spells in what could be a year long trial for the list
No question that his best is best 22. Just needs more consistency

If I got a dollar for the amount of times I’ve heard or read that first paragraph, I’ll have enough to buy a controlling stake in the Brisbane Lions.

Its the first time I've said it, believe me :)

I've been quite a big critic, not publicly or on here, but I think he's ready to take his game to the next step.

I think Higgins will get into another gear this year too.

I have to admit, this Williams kid is well overrated based upon exposed form.
The exact same thing could be said of Atley. He's done absolutely nowhere enough for years now to be considered 'safe as houses.'

If a young guy offers as much, or more, then we should be going with the younger guy every single time. Now that our pace deficiency has been somewhat rectified, and given that Atley is 26 at the end of next season and unlikely to ever flick a magic switch and become a solid, dependable, reliable B-grader, unless he produces a significantly improved season this year compared to every one of his seasons since 2012, then we should be encouraging him to look at FA and getting a second rounder in return.

On exposed form that would be a good result for the club heading into a 'superdraft.'

He's top 10 according to the people that give out votes at the club.
In a year we finished bottom 4. He's finished 10th once more since 2012 ( and that was another yewar we didn't make finals,. Incidentally, we finished 10th) and every other year he's been outside the top 10. He's very, very average and we should be looking to maximise the return on him. If that means receiving a second rounder then so be it. That could well be far more valuable than a couple more 10th placed finishes over the next few years.

Yeah, but I don't give a * about "every other year"

In the year following a big clean out the next tier blokes were asked to step forward and in 2017 Atley stepped up his performance.

That's all that really matters to me.

I expect him to improve again this season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I don't get the atley hate. On performances delivered he is better than most of the team. If others go past him fine, but I be surprised.

His run and carry isn't what it was early in his career but still better than basically all the team

I think certain folks get pissed off because they are frustrated by what they think he should bring.

He was pick 17 after all.

What he does bring is:

- Genuine resilience (How many games has he missed in 7 seasons? Less than 10?)
- Line breaking speed
- Shutdown ability
- Decent disposal

He is 25 years old all season and he has 154 games under his belt. I am confident he will go up another cog.

I think certain folks get pissed off because they are frustrated by what they think he should bring.

What he does bring is:

- Line breaking speed
- Shutdown ability
- Decent disposal

He is 25 years old all season and he has 154 games under his belt. I am confident he will go up another cog.

Line breaking speed is basically what created his resilience though, we've been desperately needing it and when he does provide it he turns it over.

when you say "people are frustrated by what they think he should bring" and then go one to say "he was pick 17 after all" - what are you saying? that we shouldn't be expecting a gun at pick 17? the other quality you stated being 'shutdown ability' is all well and good but you don't use a fist rounder for that.

he's in his 7th season and he's solid at half back but he has been very stagnant. north have tried to put him in the midfield and now throwing him forward (granted he hasn't been bad) but they're not good signs for him if some of the younger players start improving, there is no denying that.

Yeah, but I don't give a **** about "every other year"

In the year following a big clean out the next tier blokes were asked to step forward and in 2017 Atley stepped up his performance.

That's all that really matters to me.

I expect him to improve again this season.
Stepped up? His stats are almost identical to previous years with the exception of less rebounds, more goals and inside fifties. In saying that, I’ve always liked the concept of Atley the forward over Atley the midfielder/defender.

What he does bring is:

- Line breaking speed
- Shutdown ability
- Decent disposal

Bugger all of us are pissed off mate, it is more the case if there is a player that is better than him or can improve the side better than Atley, then he shouldn’t be best 22. As it stands, there are none, so that’s why he is best 22 at this stage. The Williams replacement talk is for further down the line more so after next season, but a few seasons down the track, hopefully with both playing together.

He can only go up a cog as a forward, nowhere else.

If you are listing his strengths, you may as well list his weaknesses. Bizarre decision making at times, has never improved from a 17 disposal average, lacks footy smarts and can butcher attacking transitions at times with poor disposal. Thankfully, a lot of those weaknesses are largely nullified by playing as a forward.

Everyone has the right to express their opinion......but puting him along side Blakey ? Nup, can't have that.
We can only hope that he's on the same career trajectory as Blakey. He was about 26 when he arrived at North as a good , honest HBF. Finished 10 years later as a TOC emergency.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

I imagine plenty of Bulldogs supporters would have thought the same thing of Shaun Higgins.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back