Richmond. The rebuild to the 2017 premiership (Review on 2016-2017)

Remove this Banner Ad

Support he got? I think it was the opposite, he was the one who gave others support. Dusty was as coal face as you could get.

I think that remark needs a bit of clarification.

It's well known that Dusty splits his time between midfield and forward, with Dimma saying that Dusty is the one who makes the call as to when and where he plays.

Obviously, when Dusty moves forward it leaves a hole in the midfield, and when he moves to the midfield it leaves a hole forward.

The trick is to allow Dusty to go where he's needed without leaving an exploitable weakness elsewhere.

Which is where Prestia and Caddy come in. Very crudely (and I mean _very_) Prestia and Caddy have served to fill the holes that Dusty leaves when he moves mid to forward (or vice versa). Prestia plays midfield when Dusty moves forward, whilst Caddy plays forward when Dusty is in the midfield.

So it's thanks to Prestia and Caddy that Dusty has the flexibility that lets him impact games the way he does. That flexibility would take a hit if Caddy and Prestia were taken away.

Another way to say this is just to acknowledge your point that Dusty was indeed as coalface as it's possible to be. My point is simply that he was able to be at the coalface precisely because other players, Prestia and Caddy being two of the most important, made it possible for him to be there.

So that's what I mean when I say Prestia and Caddy "supported" Dusty. When Dusty played forward we still had a very competent midfielder in Prestia to play midfield and when Dusty played midfield we still had a very competent forward/mid in Caddy to play forward. Dusty could play either position without leaving any glaring holes for the opposition to exploit.

It's well known that Dusty splits his time between midfield and forward, with Dimma saying that Dusty is the one who makes the call as to when and where he plays.

Obviously, when Dusty moves forward it leaves a hole in the midfield, and when he moves to the midfield it leaves a hole forward.

The trick is to allow Dusty to go where he's needed without leaving an exploitable weakness elsewhere.

Which is where Prestia and Caddy come in. Very crudely (and I mean _very_) Prestia and Caddy have served to fill the holes that Dusty leaves when he moves mid to forward (or vice versa). Prestia plays midfield when Dusty moves forward, whilst Caddy plays forward when Dusty is in the midfield.

Regardless of where Dusty plays it doesn't effect Prestia one bit.
Yes, he directly swaps with Caddy, but he did similar with Cotch last year rotating as a resting forward, the main difference we didn't have a Caddy type to relieve. If anything, Prestia and Caddy have freed up Cotchin more than Dusty

Regardless of where Dusty plays it doesn't effect Prestia one bit.
Yes, he directly swaps with Caddy, but he did similar with Cotch last year rotating as a resting forward, the main difference we didn't have a Caddy type to relieve. If anything, Prestia and Caddy have freed up Cotchin more than Dusty

I'm not trying to describe with any great precision how Dusty, Prestia, and Caddy work things out on the field. I'm just making the point that for players to make the most of their potential, they need to have the necessary support around them. It's true that we occasionally see outstanding individual performers in poor teams, but it's more often the case that the really dominant players come from teams which perform reasonably well across the board. I don't mind much if somebody wants to argue that Dusty is an exception -- perhaps he is (although I don't think so). Ultimately, my point was that I think the fortunes of Melbourne's potential guns will be tied to just how well the entire team performs. I think it very, very rare for players to reach their maximum potential when playing in a poor team.

It would only take a couple of good trades/free agency and they'll be fine. Geelong were a rabble in 06 then look what happened. Not saying the tigers are the cats of 06 but things can change quickly.

This close to being one of the greatest big footy predictions of all time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The irony of your user name makes this even funnier. :)

It was funnier still when his avatar showed Jobe with the medal in his possession. Feel sorry for him really. Hard to predict when you choose your bigfooty username that the guy you've based your username on is going to become a convicted drug cheat and have his Brownlow stripped.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lol next minute coach of the year :huh:

Is that two time premiership player and now premiership coach Damien Hardwick? That guy?

Sent from my iPhone using Righteous Man Power.

Yeah more damage to rfc than hird to ess, that’s dead set rolled gold, you couldn’t script a laugh better than that

3a259b4f5ee7f48bac42951226473dbe.jpg

4d7931867f78c5d7a1032de1fd2e52fa.jpg

I can.

You have to wonder why the picture on the thread doesn't change. Someone controlling it has jimmies rustled still?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back