News Harley Bennell - Ends at Freo in 2019

I just so hope this big fine & 8 week ban from training with his team mates is the light bulb moment in his life....He's got 4-6 yrs If he chooses to make serious bank in his life.

And he should sign a one year extension if he wants that. Two seasons of superstar in a row will get him the three year extension on nice money.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
I think the club is trying to manage him while still leaving the door a little bit open. There are limits to the fines they can impose. They have pushed him to the outer, and away from the newly restocked playing group. They have put some non negotiables in front of him.

Beyond cutting him, this is enough imo, and there is no value to the club in actually cutting him. You still pay the salary and it still costs the list spot.

The biggest thing should be the realisation that his contract ends this year. That either focuses him or he will be lost to us.

Prioritize other players now. Keep the door open but make it clear he needs to force his way in. Don't wait for him. Move forward immediately.

Jan 14, 2008
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think the club is trying to manage him while still leaving the door a little bit open. There are limits to the fines they can impose. They have pushed him to the outer, and away from the newly restocked playing group. They have put some non negotiables in front of him.

Beyond cutting him, this is enough imo, and there is no value to the club in actually cutting him. You still pay the salary and it still costs the list spot.

The biggest thing should be the realisation that his contract ends this year. That either focuses him or he will be lost to us.

Prioritize other players now. Keep the door open but make it clear he needs to force his way in. Don't wait for him. Move forward immediately.

Surely the penny drops for him now, its fess up or bust. This message from the club has no backtracking ,its the final straw.

E Shed

Fremantle Obsessive
Sep 10, 2006
Perth WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
I know a lot of people don't believe in alcoholism or compulsive drug taking as a model but I do because its the only thing that explains the insanity of my relationship to it. I didn't think about consequences when I wanted to get drunk or high. I just did it and worried about the rest later. This was despite my best intentions and the fact it was destroying my life.
I also believe a lot of people don't have a full understanding of just how dysfunctional the culture is in some of Harley's family. I have some direct experience from my role as a counsellor and believe me, it would break your heart.
You can't apply normal rules of common sense and logic to his situation.
To understand all is to forgive all.

However this is not to say that he can't overcome his difficulties and have a productive career. People can and do change. I did and I know plenty of others.

freoextra

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 2, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Football Club
I know a lot of people don't believe in alcoholism or compulsive drug taking as a model but I do because its the only thing that explains the insanity of my relationship to it. I didn't think about consequences when I wanted to get drunk or high. I just did it and worried about the rest later. This was despite my best intentions and the fact it was destroying my life.
I also believe a lot of people don't have a full understanding of just how dysfunctional the culture is in some of Harley's family. I have some direct experience from my role as a counsellor and believe me, it would break your heart.
You can't apply normal rules of common sense and logic to his situation.
To understand all is to forgive all.

However this is not to say that he can't overcome his difficulties and have a productive career. People can and do change. I did and I know plenty of others.

Very interesting conversation piece and sorry that you have had to deal with those demons in the past.

I have two very close people in my life that were without a doubt born with an additive personality. They have battled, one has nearly died twice, but both have come through to the other side but the battle is never fully over. They are both good members of the community and have always worked. But they couldn't help themselves until they realised they have a problem and the best help in the world is a complete waste of time and money until the person is ready/mature enough to make the necessary changes. These two people are the best people in my life and it breaks my heart when they are struggling. They are both prone to being ok with alcohol but then not having an off switch when they over indulge.

And yes I don't understand because I don't have that additive personality, I just thank my lucky stars.

E Shed

Fremantle Obsessive
Sep 10, 2006
Perth WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
And yes I don't understand because I don't have that additive personality, I just thank my lucky stars.
but you've proved you have empathy as you have direct experience of what its like even if thats through others.
What I'm trying to address is people who make comments as if Harley is some ungrateful kid that could stop his behaviour if he wasn't so selfish.
It just doesn't work like that as you've seen with your friends.
Thanks for your kind words, in fact I wouldn't change a thing as dealing with adversity has given me a huge appreciation for life now and I can bring my experience to my work as a drug & alcohol counsellor. I consider myself very fortunate.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
but you've proved you have empathy as you have direct experience of what its like even if thats through others.
What I'm trying to address is people who make comments as if Harley is some ungrateful kid that could stop his behaviour if he wasn't so selfish.
It just doesn't work like that as you've seen with your friends.
Thanks for your kind words, in fact I wouldn't change a thing as dealing with adversity has given me a huge appreciation for life now and I can bring my experience to my work as a drug & alcohol counsellor. I consider myself very fortunate.
I would hope most people could empathise, even if it doesn't seem like it here. I can even though I selfishly get frustrated because I want him to be out on the field gunning in purple.

Most people have a vice that can consume them at times and even if they don't, with the way the Western World idolises alcohol you would surely all know an alcoholic or ten.

Apr 25, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Please let's not pretend he got any punishment at all.

If he earned $780,000, that 15k fine is losing a weeks pay, I doubt he is anywhere near that, so he's lost more than a weeks pay. For perspective, if someone was on a more humble salary, $60k, that's the equivalent of losing $1,153

Losing a weeks salary is ouch.

Belnakor

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Wonder when Harley turns 29-30, and realise.. all those nights out as a 21-24 year old. Weren't really worth it. Because I sure am thinking that, some of those drunken night outs just wasn't worth it after all. Focus on the footy career buddy, because you lose it all

some people never realize which is why you still 35-40 year olds hitting the clubs. Must have rocks in their heads.

Belnakor

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I also believe a lot of people don't have a full understanding of just how dysfunctional the culture is in some of Harley's family.

How is Harley's situation different to Walters? More dysfunctional? What did Walters do to get himself back on track? How do you go from being lazy and unmotivated to being an absolute work horse who motivates others?

Sep 16, 2015
Inside 50
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Claremont Tigers
How is Harley's situation different to Walters? More dysfunctional? What did Walters do to get himself back on track? How do you go from being lazy and unmotivated to being an absolute work horse who motivates others?
Harley is in a different addiction. He needs help. Walters just needed a kick up the bum.

Belnakor

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Harleys problem seems to be holiday breaks and inactivity due to injury. He seems to get into trouble when he's not footballing so no more holidays for Harley.:D

yup seems like he is the kind of bloke who has do everything 100%. If he trains he pushes himself to the limit. When he drinks he gets shitfaced.

i wouldn't be surprised if he does really well at peel.

Sep 16, 2015
Inside 50
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Claremont Tigers
If he earned $780,000, that 15k fine is losing a weeks pay, I doubt he is anywhere near that, so he's lost more than a weeks pay. For perspective, if someone was on a more humble salary, $60k, that's the equivalent of losing $1,153

Losing a weeks salary is ouch.
Whaaat?? If we are paying Harley 780,000 we need a fn investigation. What sort of charity organisation are we running???

Edit - I hope he's on 60k. That's 40k overs.

Sep 16, 2015
Inside 50
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Claremont Tigers
yup seems like he is the kind of bloke who has do everything 100%. If he trains he pushes himself to the limit. When he drinks he gets shitfaced.

i wouldn't be surprised if he does really well at peel.
Great. So, we should delist him so he can play there ( or any other WAFL club- if they would take him). Stop waisting all our time.

Apr 25, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Whaaat?? If we are paying Harley 780,000 we need a fn investigation. What sort of charity organisation are we running???.

Relax, he's on nothing like that $780k, that is the wage that you would have if the fine was a weeks salary (52x$15,000). Someone earlier on suggested he was on $400, which is closer to the average afl earnings, so he's lost almost 2 weeks of pay with that fine.

Sep 16, 2015
Inside 50
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Claremont Tigers
Relax, he's on nothing like that $780k, that is the wage that you would have if the fine was a weeks salary (52x$15,000). Someone earlier on suggested he was on $400, which is closer to the average afl earnings, so he's lost almost 2 weeks of pay with that fine.
Fair enough. I still think paying some bloke the equivalent as 5 and a half full time nurses to piss around, have a laugh and not turn up to training is a frekin' train wreck. We all look bad because of him, and I'm a bit sick of being the office joke because I support Freo.

Back