I feel our 300% onball time will be spread like this

Heppell 70%
Zerrett 60%
Zaharakis 30%
Devon Smith 30%
Parish 30%
Myers/Langford 60%
Stringer 20%

There will also likely be a small percentage from guys like Mcgrath, Goddard, Laverde provided in best 22

I feel Devon maybe plays 30% Onball then 20-30% Wing and 40-50% Small forward/half fwd of his game time

I just can't see Parish playing most of his minutes outside the midfield; for me he's a Midfielder first, and a Forward a distant second.

Parish I see playing > 50% of his time on ball; his ability in congestion was good in his first season, and he's bigger and stronger now.

Smith has the ability to be a danger as a half-forward, winger, or on-baller which gives us some good diversity in his role, sticking him in the forward line (for me) is a waste of his abilities in the contest.

We've certainly got an abundance of forward options now though which is fantastic.

I just can't see Parish playing most of his minutes outside the midfield; for me he's a Midfielder first, and a Forward a distant second.

Parish I see playing > 50% of his time on ball; his ability in congestion was good in his first season, and he's bigger and stronger now.

Smith has the ability to be a danger as a half-forward, winger, or on-baller which gives us some good diversity in his role, sticking him in the forward line (for me) is a waste of his abilities in the contest.

We've certainly got an abundance of forward options now though which is fantastic.

From Parishs game

I expect 30-40% Onball
30% Wing
10% half forward

Its very hard to fit all these guys into the midfield. We have a fair bit of quality depth.

Its all good raising Parish to 50-70% onball but whos time does he take away from that ive given in there. The same for D.Smith?

Last edited:

Hooker will play forward. Why would he suddenly shift into defence when we have more options in that area of the ground now?
We've picked up another KPB from last year?

Of his ~70% TOG

I expect 30-40% Onball
30% Wing
10% half forward

Its very hard to fit all these guys into the midfield. We have a fair bit of quality depth.

Its all good raising Parish to 50-70% onball but whos time does he take away from that ive given in there. The same for D.Smith?

You really don't know how percentages work, do you?

More viable options I meant. Francis getting his fitness up, Brown and Ambrose being fit (touch wood).

Same goes for Toby Greene, he was brilliant in the guts but offered more up fwd then the main mids up there.
Greene could certainly accumulate but looking beyond fantasy footy he was a liability with ball in hand - hence why they told him to either learn to play forward or learn to play NEAFL.

Last edited:

Hookers avgs over 2 goals a game as a forward which these days is pretty impressive

I also want to see the club give every chance to francis for this year at his best position as an intercepting/tall defender.

Hes only played 5 games at the top level but one of them he recieved a rising star award and from memory another where his first half was exceptional against the pies as a forward in just his 3rd or 4th afl game

Greene could certainly accumulate but looking beyond fantasy footy he was a liability with ball in hand - hence why they told him to either learn to play forward or learn to play NEAFL.

It'd be a hard midfield to break in to;

Kelly, Shiel, Coniglio and Ward are all A-grade inside / outside mids - Scully and Whitfield freaks on the outside. Setterfield and Taranto both top rated midfield talents coming through as well.

Someone like a Smith is a solid B-grade player who'd be best-22 in any side, but just doesn't have the ability of any of those guys in the specific areas they play.

Can't play inside the way a Shiel or Ward can, can't play outside the way Scully, Whitfield or Kelly can.

I think Greene is similar, plenty of capability to play midfield in most teams, just GWS has a heap of depth there and is slim on small - medium forwards who are dangerous around goal. Greene is probably more dangerous around goal than Smith, but doesn't have the same defensive mindset Smith does.

Also both aren't necessarily the least selfish players with their disposal choice, won't see them giving away too many shots on goal when they take possession I50.

Hookers avgs over 2 goals a game as a forward which these days is pretty impressive

I also want to see the club give every chance to francis for this year at his best position as an intercepting/tall defender.

Hes only played 5 games at the top level but one of them he recieved a rising star award and from memory another where his first half was exceptional against the pies as a forward in just his 3rd or 4th afl game
I don't think he has been nominated for the rising star.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have vastly different definitions of exceptional.

Don't get me wrong I'm all aboard the Francis hype train but he has not done anything exceptional at AFL level yet.

More viable options I meant. Francis getting his fitness up, Brown and Ambrose being fit (touch wood).

Francis is sooooo far off the pace of where he needs to be in terms of fitness it is highly unlikely he will get any games for a long while.

Whilst I would love for him to be given a chance at senior level with a solid 5 games to show us he can perform without puffing out at this point it may genuinely never happen in 2018.

Noise from the club is that Redman is well ahead of Francis and with his solid fitness base is vastly more likely to get a run of games that Francis.

Francis is sooooo far off the pace of where he needs to be in terms of fitness it is highly unlikely he will get any games for a long while.

Whilst I would love for him to be given a chance at senior level with a solid 5 games to show us he can perform without puffing out at this point it may genuinely never happen in 2018.

Noise from the club is that Redman is well ahead of Francis and with his solid fitness base is vastly more likely to get a run of games that Francis.
If you had said that in the middle of last year I'd have agreed with you.

However everything from the club indicates that his fitness has dramatically improved and would put him into the conversation over this pre season.

Also Redman isn't competing for a key defence/3rd tall role in any place. He's too small both in terms of height and weight for that sort of role.

If you had said that in the middle of last year I'd have agreed with you.

However everything from the club indicates that his fitness has dramatically improved and would put him into the conversation over this pre season.

Also Redman isn't competing for a key defence/3rd tall role in any place. He's too small both in terms of height and weight for that sort of role.

I don’t understand the naivety about Francis.

Sure on the odd time he has trained in the last week he is a little lighter than this time last year.

He didn’t train on Wed, I don’t think he trained much earlier in the week & looks very unhappy and withdrawn.

His mental state is fragile and he isn’t pushing himself either. In truth he is a shell of the confident guy we recruited perhaps mistakenly four years ago. He used to dominate games in his junior years, but can’t dominate for more than a few mins in the VFL. I’d like to see him dominate his training to start with.

He trained with the modified group
today which meant he wasn’t included in the match sim. He has never been much of a trainer and his fitness levels whilst a little better than last year hardly scream pick me.

Where as other guys have gotten fitter and demand to be in selection he is just going through the motions - or is it emotions.

Little has changed with this guy since he got to the club, not his training. Not his fitness, not his preparedness not his mental state. He has advanced only marginally since he arrived and to be frank i for one have had enough.

This isn’t kindergarten, although I am happy to give him a hug if that will make him work harder and push through the pain.

Francis ain’t even in the equation and won’t be until key milestones with his body and training and then sustained performance in the VFL are reached. If it happens, with this team and even with injuries to guys who appear to want it more - it won’t be until the later half of the season.

This ain’t about being right - it’s about winning flag with the best team. Just my two cents.

We have vastly different definitions of exceptional.

Don't get me wrong I'm all aboard the Francis hype train but he has not done anything exceptional at AFL level yet.
For a guy in his 1st and what 3rd or 4th game i thought he was impressive on both occassions considering one was his debut and the other was in front of 90k on Anzac day

I don’t understand the naivety about Francis.

Sure on the odd time he has trained in the last week he is a little lighter than this time last year.

He didn’t train on Wed, I don’t think he trained much earlier in the week & looks very unhappy and withdrawn.

His mental state is fragile and he isn’t pushing himself either. In truth he is a shell of the confident guy we recruited perhaps mistakenly four years ago. He used to dominate games in his junior years, but can’t dominate for more than a few mins in the VFL. I’d like to see him dominate his training to start with.

He trained with the modified group
today which meant he wasn’t included in the match sim. He has never been much of a trainer and his fitness levels whilst a little better than last year hardly scream pick me.

Where as other guys have gotten fitter and demand to be in selection he is just going through the motions - or is it emotions.

Little has changed with this guy since he got to the club, not his training. Not his fitness, not his preparedness not his mental state. He has advanced only marginally since he arrived and to be frank i for one have had enough.

This isn’t kindergarten, although I am happy to give him a hug if that will make him work harder and push through the pain.

Francis ain’t even in the equation and won’t be until key milestones with his body and training and then sustained performance in the VFL are reached. If it happens, with this team and even with injuries to guys who appear to want it more - it won’t be until the later half of the season.

This ain’t about being right - it’s about winning flag with the best team. Just my two cents.
I think it would be best for all concerned if you did not give Francis a hug. Thank you for your cooperation.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back