Opinion Jackson Thurlow

catswhiskers

Premiership Player
Mar 13, 2006
Far North East
AFL Club
Geelong
Yeah but he can find the ball, and his height could be an asset. Leigh Colbert type potentially.

Finding the ball is the first measure I use to make up my mind about a players worth. Thurlow has that ability so I agree on that. I won't go into Colbert comparisons - I have erased him from my memory! I do feel though that outside players - wingers need pace - lots. Good disposal as well.

Unless you see us with a small forward line and Thurlow and/or Kolo being pseudo CHF off a wing (a la Richardson) then it is not a good move.

IMO.

May 25, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Finding the ball is the first measure I use to make up my mind about a players worth. Thurlow has that ability so I agree on that. I won't go into Colbert comparisons - I have erased him from my memory! I do feel though that outside players - wingers need pace - lots. Good disposal as well.

Unless you see us with a small forward line and Thurlow and/or Kolo being pseudo CHF off a wing (a la Richardson) then it is not a good move.

IMO.

Fair enough. Cant say I’ve put too much thought into it, but he does generally use the ball well (although I do recall one game where he butchered it continually) and was picking up midfielder-like numbers as a junior.

Ricketz

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 2, 2011
Wagga Wagga
AFL Club
Geelong
One would only have to watch the two players in action to see who is the superior footballer.

Selective statistics doesn't change the bleeding obvious.

Anyway...back to Jackson Thurlow.........
Take Stewart over Ruggles any day, just because of his tank, his pace and his ability to mark players taller than him. In these areas, he smashed Ruggles - and they are clearly significant needs in our back line, so it is a no brainer to me who you would pick.

Expecting Thurlow to play more on the wing this year, because of the success of Stewart as a medium defender.

Ricketz

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 2, 2011
Wagga Wagga
AFL Club
Geelong
Very quick to give me a day off based purely on disagreeing with my opinion. Very classy :rolleyes:

He did not have the composure to pick the ball up.

I said he is an average player. Well if you are comparing to other players in the league he is probably below average by position.

Sure he shows heart but i have been close to breaking a couple of televisions at home due to his horrible clangers. He needs to improve big time under pressure before he is a sure thing
First year player, yeh?

Ricketz

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 2, 2011
Wagga Wagga
AFL Club
Geelong
I remember Tuohy did a good job on eddie betts.
I just think with bews added to scooter duncan menegola would deepen our midfield enough to allow letts sel danger run more rampant in the forward line
I also dont think you can compare murder with cocky. Let cocky crunch the likes of betts and see if he thinks they compare
Can't hurt to try and give him the flexibility to rotate through there if necessary - I like his bull at a gate running lines, and think they would be a perfect fit in our midfield. Just don't want to see his role in the back line suffer because of it - I am with Partridge on this one, he plugs a bigger hole there at the moment.

Ricketz

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 2, 2011
Wagga Wagga
AFL Club
Geelong
interesting. I prefer my wingers to have more pace tho.
Sorta indicates we will be kicking through transition, rather than running through like your JJ Western Bulldog clones. I like it. No one can run as fast as a direct and efficient kick. And we don't have scrub kicks like western bulldogs in our backline.

Ricketz

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 2, 2011
Wagga Wagga
AFL Club
Geelong
Just watched a replay of the NM game last season. Watching GHS, just as the game was slipping away , stream to the 50 and drive the ball through was delightful.
Then, 30 mins later, when the game was all but lost he gets in and under at a stoppage and draws the high tackle. Kicking from 35-40 m with 60 sec on the clock he kicks it.

GHS can play. GCS should have made a move last trade season - he is better than most flakes that end up as No. 4 or 5 in their mid line up. We are lucky to have so much midfield depth.
This. This. This.

He has copped a flogging at times on these boards, but eff me and call me Florence, he has footy smarts. And which other club is lucky enough to have a soldier willing to hang around as depth for so long? I rate the guy.

Having said that, I think he is further away than ever to getting a game in the firsts this year. More so, this is the first time I hope I am right about that sort of prediction - if I am wrong we have suffered some serious injuries, or our young guns have failed to step up (Cockatoo, Parfitt, etc.) - neither of which would be terribly good for us.

Ricketz

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 2, 2011
Wagga Wagga
AFL Club
Geelong
Whether its popular or not, the bloke can play.

Give him better selection terms ( getting dropped after the Pies lost when EVERY GFC PLAYER was s**t made no sense), give him a better time with injuries ( he's had some poorly timed stuff effect his development and progress) and he'd get a serious look in.

Stanley has more talent and Motlop more speed, but I never saw GHS shirk a contest.
Go Catters
Can't disagree with any of your points, Daz - my assessment (of it being a bad sign if he gets a look in) is based around the sorts of selection decisions like the one you mention above, and who they have recruited around him (Kelly, Fogarty, Parfitt, Danger, Narkle, Ablett... you get the idea).

Either way, I trust the match committee judgement - I think some of their decisions in the past may have been rooted in a mix of injury issues, condition, and timing (I mean who could guarantee we would have Dangerfield and Ablett both back in our midfield four years ago?) It is not just because he is considered slow on these boards, I am sure of it.

Daniel McL

Brownlow Medallist
May 21, 2014
ACT
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Sydney Sixers
Will be interesting to see the defensive setup this season. Thurlow on the wing I’m all for.

You’ve got Taylor staying back now, Kolodjashnij going back, Henderson, then Stewart, Tuohy, Bews, but then they’ve also talked about C. Guthrie playing more defence, and we know how highly they rate Z. Guthrie as well.

Will be interesting to see the defensive setup this season. Thurlow on the wing I’m all for.

You’ve got Taylor staying back now, Kolodjashnij going back, Henderson, then Stewart, Tuohy, Bews, but then they’ve also talked about C. Guthrie playing more defence, and we know how highly they rate Z. Guthrie as well.

And then young Gardner is in the mix too.

Don't worry guys, he is one of my favourite players so I have cursed him and he will have a horrible season :'(
Jfi, what makes him one of your favourites? I rate him highly too, but hoping his luck and confidence are positive this year.
He has hardly played these last 2 seasons.

He is the very definition of a list clogger
Thurls is a list clogger.
Oh Really?

Nearly as good as your trade Hawkins for Walters theory. :rolleyes:

Go Catters

ADA23

Senior List
Jun 4, 2005
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong
I thought we were talking about GHS.

I jumped on this JT thread and all the talk was about the hyphen for some reason.

On topic tho, JT could be heading the same way if he doesn’t back himself. Cant be easy doing an ACL and playing elite sport.

Last edited by a moderator:
He's not average, but his bad is horrendous. Like a few others the gap between his best and worst needs to close, and he needs to show a lot more poise in finals. Still an relatively inexperienced player of course.
5th in the club best and fairest in his first year of AFL football, at a club who made the top 4 is testament to his ability. He'll continue to improve if he works hard.

I've deleted off topic posts ( including my own) to get this thread back onto the Thurlow topic.

Good to see Thurlow was the first Cat over the line in the Pier to Pub......good signs.

Think he will shine this year, really like his skills.

Yes..me too. I think getting confidence in your knee can take more time for some than others. If he can get the injury out of his head, I see him as best 22. We need foot skills like his.....

Back