Are we starting to see a new era in wrestling.

Free Agent

Norm Smith Medallist
May 25, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
This is a genuine question. Not going to get into a s**t fight as I know how many times I've heard the attitude to PG/00 era or what ever you call it comparisons.

Now I say this after seeing the Omega vs Jericho Match at NJPW. It was huge and to be honest I believe it has backfired completely on Vince and the WWE. They allowed Jericho to compete for another organisation thinking it was going to get star's over to WWE and they still might. I hope not though.
Not saying it was a bad thing for wrestling, in fact I think it was the best thing that has happen in 10+ years because what it did is give long time WWE fans an insight in NJPW. One that I personally had not much of an idea of. But what can I say, I'm now a fan of NJPW. The moves, The shock moments. Then I went through classic NJPW matches. Omega vs Okada and was blown away by the in ring style of wrestling.

And I'm not the only one. Seem's like everyone has been talking about it.
WWE has become stale for so long. I don't think I can go back to the boring WWE style of wrestling anymore. Even with AJ Styles and Nakamura I want more NJPW and that style. I think those two made a mistake. If WWE isn't careful. NJPW will become the bigger player in years to come much like the way WCW fell out of touch with the fans. WWE needs to learn from NJPW. We need a stronger wrestling style and get rid of this PG crap. Lets get to the point who really is bringing the entertainment because it isn't WWE right now.
WWE makes me sad watching it.

I think we are headed now into a wrestling era with the style of NJPW are doing.

Last edited:
Agree. Would like a Genuine Competition to WWE as WWE just seems Lazy as there is nothing at the Moment that would make them Lose Money.

Wrestlers now seem to think they could go to NJPW and do the Independent Scence can be as good as being with WWE

Free Agent

Norm Smith Medallist
May 25, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Also WWE is catering to Kids and Family and NJPW is Targeting Actual Wrestling Fans
WWE moved to PG as they were threaten by the UFC impact. But right now UFC has sort of been dwindling down itself with Conor McGregor barely fighting that we are seeing that there is still a place for wrestling on more mature scale if they went back down that path it would succeed like NJPW is and not the opposite.

UFC has peaked and now the times right for WWE to go back to giving wrestlers the freedom to be creative and tell a story in the ring.

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Vince McMahon will have to go before WWE gets better. That's very clear. It's not about PG (however that doesn't help): PG doesn't make you serve up the same s**t every week and push as your protagonist a character the audience has learned to despise year after year. CM Punk and Daniel Bryan were big, popular stars and they were PG. No, WWE's problem is laziness and ineptitude from the top.

As for the NJPW... they're doing well but that their biggest PPV of the year's torrent was only available in standard definition shows just how big the chasm is. They're never going to be WCW. They are a Japanese promotion for a Japanese audience. Any Western audience is a bonus. It doesn't look anything like American wrestling. They'll keep getting WWE names that are bored shitless and want a payrise but that's not going to change everything. Modern WWE is designed so anytime somebody leaves there's 30 guys in Florida ready to come in and take their spot.

Also WWE is catering to Kids and Family

Myth. WWE average viewer is 40+ today.

WWE moved to pg as they were threaten by UFC impact.

WWE became PG because Linda McMahon became a Republican politician.

Independent Scence

spkyrll.gif

WWE moved to PG as they were threaten by the UFC impact. But right now UFC has sort of been dwindling down itself with Conor McGregor barely fighting that we are seeing that there is still a place for wrestling on more mature scale if they went back down that path it would succeed like NJPW is and not the opposite.

UFC has peaked and now the times right for WWE to go back to giving wrestlers the freedom to be creative and tell a story in the ring.

WWE went PG way before UFC started to become mainstream, when you start to skits on necrophilia, signs are you need to pull your head in.

WWE is in the s**t in the moment because their focus is on churning out content, rather than the product itself.

WWE have also been in the phase for the last 15 years where the wrestling compliments the promos, when it should be the other way around.

NXT became popular for that reason, not because they brought in a couple of popular indy guys to appease the marks.

WWE went PG way before UFC started to become mainstream, when you start to skits on necrophilia, signs are you need to pull your head in.

WWE is in the s**t in the moment because their focus is on churning out content, rather than the product itself.

WWE have also been in the phase for the last 15 years where the wrestling compliments the promos, when it should be the other way around.

NXT became popular for that reason, not because they brought in a couple of popular indy guys to appease the marks.

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
The most popular show in the world has two incestuous couples. "WWE had to tone it back" is bullshit. TV has become more elaborate and adult the last 10-15 years. WWE stands alone in consciously going the other way.

Aug 2, 2007
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Packers, Bulls, Ducks, Angels
was huge and to be honest I believe it has backfired completely on Vince and the WWE. They allowed Jericho to compete for another organisation thinking it was going to get star's over to WWE and they still might. I hope not though.

What is the source for this? As far as I'm aware they didn't have to allow him to do anything. He isn't under contract to WWE so he can do whatever he wants.

Bored_Pie

Club Legend
Jan 8, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
New Japan will never be a big threat to WWE. Theres just no company that can even put a dint in WWEs business.

Sep 30, 2003
Bunvegas
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
WA, Australia
The most popular show in the world has two incestuous couples. "WWE had to tone it back" is bullshit. TV has become more elaborate and adult the last 10-15 years. WWE stands alone in consciously going the other way.

It's not exactly a like-for-like comparison - how would HBO react if Peter Dinklage went off the deep end and killed his family, for instance?

New Japan setting up their American base will draw interest no doubt, especially if Jericho continues to work with them over there.

At the moment they aren't much of a threat but in time I think they could threaten enough to somewhat force WWE into some changes.

Nothing like WCW though.

Honestly I think the big change we will see will be when HHH takes over for Vince and he can hopefully run it like NXT.

Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Turtles, NYJets, Celtics, Tottenham
we're not anywhere close to another boom period in wrestling (and we may never be).

Maybe not a new boom period, but with the amount of variety and accessibility at the moment (WWE, NJPW, Lucha Underground and various Indies like PWG, ROH, Progress etc) I don't think there's been a better period of wrestling, at least not since 1997.

Maybe not a new boom period, but with the amount of variety and accessibility at the moment (WWE, NJPW, Lucha Underground and various Indies like PWG, ROH, Progress etc) I don't think there's been a better period of wrestling, at least not since 1997.

agree with this. the streaming platforms especially.

New Japan setting up their American base will draw interest no doubt, especially if Jericho continues to work with them over there.

At the moment they aren't much of a threat but in time I think they could threaten enough to somewhat force WWE into some changes.

Nothing like WCW though.

Honestly I think the big change we will see will be when HHH takes over for Vince and he can hopefully run it like NXT.

Would they be more like ECW was?

Back