Past #36: Josh Williams - drafted #36 2016 ND - 2 games/1 goal - delisted end 2018

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
If you are listing his strengths, you may as well list his weaknesses.

Okay.

Bizarre decision making at times,

He's not the first player to become conflicted when he runs out of options and he won't be the last. Why does he get in these positions? Because he is one of the very few blokes in our side that can break the lines. This is the downside of a player with this skill. Also, in order to properly support this point you need to provide the other options that were available.

When players do non instinctive things it is best to put it down to coaches instructions.

has never improved from a 17 disposal average,

He is primarily used by his one and only coach as a lock down footballer.

lacks footy smarts

I don't see this, and you need to remember that he hasn't strung together 154 games as a 24 year old because he doesn't follow the coaches instructions.

and can butcher attacking transitions at times with poor disposal.

So could Daniel Wells and just about every other player in the comp.

koshari

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 24, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
We can only hope that he's on the same career trajectory as Blakey. He was about 26 when he arrived at North as a good , honest HBF. Finished 10 years later as a TOC emergency.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
blakey was like the terry alderman of footballers, consistant consistant consistant....

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Back on Williams, his combination of size and speed is what intrigues me. He's definitely grown and when he see him against Ziebell etc, he's a lovely height.

I don't think he's overrated at all on the board, he was a reach at his draft position, definitely, he's needed to earn a lot of supporters support because of where he was taken.

I think his VFL form has been pleasantly surprising, he certainly didn't look out of place at AFL level.

Definitely one to watch in 2018.

GarnerSmash

They tried to make me go to rehab
10k Posts Ex-Moderator North Melbourne - 2015 Daw & MacMillan Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2014 Daw, Black, Gibson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor
Jun 2, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Back on Williams, his combination of size and speed is what intrigues me. He's definitely grown and when he see him against Ziebell etc, he's a lovely height.

I don't think he's overrated at all on the board, he was a reach at his draft position, definitely, he's needed to earn a lot of supporters support because of where he was taken.

I think his VFL form has been pleasantly surprising, he certainly didn't look out of place at AFL level.

Definitely one to watch in 2018.
He'd be 192cm i reckon.

gustev

Club Legend
Mar 30, 2008
north of melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Athletics
He'd have to be around about that ozzy. Was as skinny as a rake, so I reckon his growth profile was still upwards not outwards when he measured at 189 (when drafted). He's got the opposite of man-child effect, and it's likely the club would have held his training volume back a little as he continued to grow. At that height he will be a great football athlete in space and I reckon he's got a bit of footy nouse to go with it. Watching the odd game of VFL early last year I was impressed with his casual workmanlike intensity while working within a 15year olds body.

Last edited:
Nah hes a pure winger that could move into the forward line in spurts.

Him and Wood swapping - doing what Waite does on the wing at times and playing forward - is something I wouldn't mind seeing a bit of in a few years.

Sep 4, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Golden State, SF 49ers
He'd have to be around about that ozzy. Was as skinny as a rake, so I reckon his growth profile was still upwards not outwards when he measured at 189 (when drafted). He's got the opposite of man-child effect, and it's likely the club would have held his training volume back a little as he continued to grow. At that height he will be a great football athlete in space and I reckon he's got a bit of footy nouse to go with it. Watching the odd game of VFL early last year I was impressed with his casual workmanlike intensity while working within a 15year olds body.
Has definitely grown in the last year. Close to if not 192. Was surprised when I saw him a couple weeks back.

He moves so well. Just so quick and agile. His skill looked real good to. Add these to his height, I went away real excited what he could become. It will be on a wing, hopefully he can become stronger and win his own ball. If so, his ceiling is very high imo.

czero

Club Legend
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I have no read n this kid. Seem to do OK in games, seemed to be a really good trainer, but thats about it.

I can hardly get anything from him that might indicate desire. I can see that in a Clark and a Mountford and a Jy etc, but just cannot read anything (good or bad) from him.

Very interested in seeing him this year.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
And Micky M was 190cm. Could never explain to a modern viewer how that makes him a good key defender... I miss those days.

In person Martyn's 190cm frame was far more imposing than the average 195+ cm AFL player these days who look like amateur basketballers off-field.

Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Really hope they give this kid some time as a genuine centre square midfielder at VFL level.

With his explosiveness and ability above his head he could be a serious footballer if he could add a bit of ball winning ability to his repertoire.

MaddAdam

Cancelled
10k Posts Bay 13: Vintage Bay Podcaster North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2009 Player Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011
In the not so distant future
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Seems to have flown off the radar.

Would Josh beat Hartung in a sprint ? i think maybe he could, is a bit of a forgotten entity atm.

Really hoping he gets selected again soon. He and Mountford seem to have both been forgotten of late, and I thought Mountford was traveling pretty well too.
Liked Josh's work a lot in the couple of matches he got last year (that set shot and goal of his in his first AFL game! what great moment!) Also love his attitude - seems super keen. On and off field, seems like a great kid.
Have no doubt he'd beat Hartung on the short track. Good call Muttly45! Kid's a speedster alright.

And hopefully one day we'll have TWO Joshes in the midfield. Not giving up on us rescuing the other Josh from the Orange Robots yet.

Back