Will Shaun Burgoyne complete a rare 'trifecta' on retiring?

He was a GUN at Port. Comparable to Judd as a mid when Judd was at his best
Yes but was he there long enough? Is one flag enough considering his games tally, and will they forgive him leaving and having more success as the Hawks?

Tim62

Rookie
Feb 11, 2014
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Yes but was he there long enough? Is one flag enough considering his games tally, and will they forgive him leaving and having more success as the Hawks?

More about his individual deeds. many make the HOF despite winning no flags. Think of Bobby Skilton and ablett Snr. i think he might struggle to make ours. If he does, players like Geoff Ablett would have merit to feel aggrieved

LuckyHawk

Premiership Player
Feb 16, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Watch the 74 Prelim and think about Ablett, great player
He may have played great in this match but never thought he was a great player or him being referred to as a great player.
Scott, Tuck, Lethal, Knights, Moore were were great players and cannot have Ablett alongside these players and thats
no disrespect to Ablett.

Tim62

Rookie
Feb 11, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
He may have played great in this match but never thought he was a great player or him being referred to as a great player.
Scott, Tuck, Lethal, Knights, Moore were were great players and cannot have Ablett alongside these players and thats
no disrespect to Ablett.

Those names stand along. The first 4 legends. Kel Moore, a great great player

As for Ablett, i thought he was very good.

Not that it means a toss, but, I wrote up my best ever 22 from the time I have followed the hawks (71 onwards). I had both of Ablett and Burgoyne in the team

Dec 22, 2007
AFL Club
Hawthorn
More about his individual deeds. many make the HOF despite winning no flags. Think of Bobby Skilton and ablett Snr. i think he might struggle to make ours. If he does, players like Geoff Ablett would have merit to feel aggrieved
If we were to use cars as an analogy, Geoff would be a Porsche and Silk a Rolls Royce.

Tim62

Rookie
Feb 11, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
When I think of Shaun Burgoyne and "trifecta" in the same sentence...

2013,2014,2015 springs to mind

Nothing else matters, arguably our best pick up ever...Champion

I am in awe of Burgoyne. when we recruited him, it represented 'instant wood' for me. which has real meaning for i am an old fellow. Great player

Yep, and not sure l've seen a faster player. l think he won 4 gf sprints.
4 gf sprints
2 premierships
1 losing gf
202 games.

Can’t compare him to Burgoyne, different era, different game.

But I do think he should be inducted for not just his football but he also worked for/at HFC for many yrs, which is obviously relevant when you look at other inductees.

That’s not to take anything away from any other inductee, as the club need to keep it as more of an exclusive club rather than just hand it out silly nilly

Tim62

Rookie
Feb 11, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
4 gf sprints
2 premierships
1 losing gf
202 games.

Can’t compare him to Burgoyne, different era, different game.

But I do think he should be inducted for not just his football but he also worked for/at HFC for many yrs, which is obviously relevant when you look at other inductees.

That’s not to take anything away from any other inductee, as the club need to keep it as more of an exclusive club rather than just hand it out silly nilly

Of course, Ablett to me is a standout. The other is my passion. In regard to Don Scott not being a Legend in our HOF

Aug 13, 2006
Thailand
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks.
Sure, but The racehorse' played in an age of set positions whereas Silk plays in a multi facete age. In a sense, Burgoyne is the quintessential 'swingman'

One of the reasons why it's not possible, or fair, to compare players from different eras. The game evolves, equipment improves, and medical, science and other areas all have advanced remarkable. It's not the same game I started following in the forties.

Tim62

Rookie
Feb 11, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
One of the reasons why it's not possible, or fair, to compare players from different eras. The game evolves, equipment improves, and medical, science and other areas all have advanced remarkable. It's not the same game I started following in the forties.

Agree, and are not comparing. Just making a point of Ablett's individual ability. I think it is forgotten by many. As for Burgoyne, no doubt outstanding on all counts

Back