Injury/Rehab Injury/Niggle Management - w/ cptkirk

Remove this Banner Ad

I wish I knew!!

Did it hurt when you started deadlifting (as in, was it sore when you started)? Or as you got to heavier weights?
If the former what had you been doing the week leading up to it, and also over the past 6-8 weeks in terms of squat and deadlift loading?

Did it hurt when you started deadlifting (as in, was it sore when you started)? Or as you got to heavier weights?
If the former what had you been doing the week leading up to it, and also over the past 6-8 weeks in terms of squat and deadlift loading?

It was sore when I started but I hadn't felt it until I went to the deadlift. It was fine during the warm up (just the bar no plates) and as soon as I put some additional weight on I felt it. Stopped after a few reps and did the action with no equipment and it was really hurting.

The only exercise I did which was newish during the week prior was frog pumps. Thinking about it now that could be the trigger.

Might have irritated the SIJ (where spine joins pelvis), although frog pumps is a type of exercise that I might prescribe to protect the SIJ so a bit odd if that was the trigger.

Couple years ago i suffered from high hamstring tendinopathy. I saw a physio for quite some time and got rid of it, have had 2 seperate MRIs to check if its gone and both showed no injury to the tendon.

Sometimes the day after a legs sesh in the gym i get a little bit of discomfort/tightness feeling up in the tendon area, does anyone know what this could be? I dont know what it could be? Could it be because there was a significant injury there its just a bit sensitive? Is there a DOMS version for tendons?

Any ideas on what I can do for recovery?

If just a minor irritation of the joint then it’ll settle in a few days to a week.
If it hasn’t settled in a week I’d recommend seeing a physio.

Couple years ago i suffered from high hamstring tendinopathy. I saw a physio for quite some time and got rid of it, have had 2 seperate MRIs to check if its gone and both showed no injury to the tendon.

Sometimes the day after a legs sesh in the gym i get a little bit of discomfort/tightness feeling up in the tendon area, does anyone know what this could be? I dont know what it could be? Could it be because there was a significant injury there its just a bit sensitive? Is there a DOMS version for tendons?

It could be a few things
- micro tearing of collagen/fibres in the tendon that didn’t lay uniformly as your original issue healed
- increased sensitivity of nerve receptors within the hamstring tendon
- increased number of nerve receptors within the hamstring tendon
- altered perception/interpretation of nerve signals at the level of the spinal cord
- psychological component

It could be a few things
- micro tearing of collagen/fibres in the tendon that didn’t lay uniformly as your original issue healed
- increased sensitivity of nerve receptors within the hamstring tendon
- increased number of nerve receptors within the hamstring tendon
- altered perception/interpretation of nerve signals at the level of the spinal cord
- psychological component
Could you go into further detail regarding the first one? If possible.

I have recently been getting some low back pain on the right side of my back. It isn't a dull ache like you would get from a muscle pain but more like a pinpoint feeling of pain in a certain spot so could be potetially coming from there.

Could you go into further detail regarding the first one? If possible.

I have recently been getting some low back pain on the right side of my back. It isn't a dull ache like you would get from a muscle pain but more like a pinpoint feeling of pain in a certain spot so could be potetially coming from there.

Basically, “healthy” muscle fibres run parallel with each other. When you have tissue damage (tear/strain or it gets damaged in an accident etc) then often when the new fibres lay they’re not exactly parallel. So instead of the muscle fibres “sliding” nicely (google sliding filament theory) to enable shortening/lengthening of the fibres the newly laid tissue is physically stretched which may irritate it somewhat. A lot of this is a theoretical model that hasn’t been entirely proven so keep that in mind.
https://mixfitness.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/muscle-injury-tissue-progression.jpg

If you can upload a little human diagram with a red dot to specify where the pain is that’d be helpful as low back is a fairly broad term.

Basically, “healthy” muscle fibres run parallel with each other. When you have tissue damage (tear/strain or it gets damaged in an accident etc) then often when the new fibres lay they’re not exactly parallel. So instead of the muscle fibres “sliding” nicely (google sliding filament theory) to enable shortening/lengthening of the fibres the newly laid tissue is physically stretched which may irritate it somewhat. A lot of this is a theoretical model that hasn’t been entirely proven so keep that in mind.
https://mixfitness.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/muscle-injury-tissue-progression.jpg

If you can upload a little human diagram with a red dot to specify where the pain is that’d be helpful as low back is a fairly broad term.
2018-01-12 23.05.02.jpg
I would say around that area if i could pin point it. Doesnt feel like your typical muscular ache (i have had that before)

So clearly thats on the right side of my back. The high hamstring issue and previous injury with tendinopathy is the left side.

View attachment 450646
I would say around that area if i could pin point it. Doesnt feel like your typical muscular ache (i have had that before)

So clearly thats on the right side of my back. The high hamstring issue and previous injury with tendinopathy is the left side.

There’s not a lot of muscle in the area you’ve pointed to (it’s predominantly connective tissue).
The primary structure(s) likely to cause pain in that particular location are the intervertebral facet joints (basically where the bones of the spine join) or the intervertebral discs.
Similarly with Shellz a (presumably) minor facet joint sprain or disc herniation is likely to resolve on its own in a matter of days if you can avoid anything that aggravates it (with the same caveat that if it hangs around it’s worth seeing someone)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could this irritate it? I did this stretch yesterday and the lingering pain is back.

https://goo.gl/images/AcR3XN

Potentially.
Doing that stretch will create compression on the posterior SIJ.
It’s not a movement that’s likely to cause an issue, but will be provocative if there is already inflammation there.

There’s not a lot of muscle in the area you’ve pointed to (it’s predominantly connective tissue).
The primary structure(s) likely to cause pain in that particular location are the intervertebral facet joints (basically where the bones of the spine join) or the intervertebral discs.
Similarly with Shellz a (presumably) minor facet joint sprain or disc herniation is likely to resolve on its own in a matter of days if you can avoid anything that aggravates it (with the same caveat that if it hangs around it’s worth seeing someone)
If it means anything the pain/discomfort around the high hamstring area has completely settled now, so it sort of is like a doms sort of thing where it settles quite quickly. So trained legs on the wednesday and was noticeable discomfort on the thursday/friday, saturday today it is gone!

If it means anything the pain/discomfort around the high hamstring area has completely settled now, so it sort of is like a doms sort of thing where it settles quite quickly. So trained legs on the wednesday and was noticeable discomfort on the thursday/friday, saturday today it is gone!

IMO it’s unlikely that the 2 are directly related

Hey guys I have a torn lateral meniscus in my right knee atm and just wondering what is the pain that I get behind my knee? It feels like lower hamstring or behind the knee pain that I usually get when walking fast or running. Generally that pain is worse than the pain I get on the outside of my injured knee

Any tips on dealing with a sore tailbone? I thought I was just being a sook but went to do deadlifts yesterday and had to stop as it was really hurting. Hurt to squat (not at gym just cleaning the house etc) the rest of the day and this morning.

I can’t find a stretch to target the area either.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Oh man this happened to me after doing thrusters!

My layman's understanding of it is that there's a bunch of tiny muscles around the lower spine where the glutes and the back muscles all find their way around. If you're squatting it can happen when your'e fatigued that you, ever so slightly if it's a big weight, twist or change your perfect action slightly and you can put a huge load through a muscle that's not up for it.

Drove me crazy, couldn't find the spot to massage/stretch and took about 6 weeks to get over.

Hey guys I have a torn lateral meniscus in my right knee atm and just wondering what is the pain that I get behind my knee? It feels like lower hamstring or behind the knee pain that I usually get when walking fast or running. Generally that pain is worse than the pain I get on the outside of my injured knee

The meniscus covers the entire top surface of the tibia (shin) bone so it’s possible that is still the root of the cause.
Is there any noticeable swelling behind the knee? And is constantly locking and unlocking the knee the primary aggravatpr?

The meniscus covers the entire top surface of the tibia (shin) bone so it’s possible that is still the root of the cause.
Is there any noticeable swelling behind the knee? And is constantly locking and unlocking the knee the primary aggravatpr?
Nope no swelling. Nah doesn't lock its not a huge tear as I had a tear in the same meniscus about 6 or 7 years ago and it was way worse then - massive pain walking up and down stairs, getting into and out of car, struggling to drive because knee would lock etc. Now generally day to day it's fine, other than walking fast or running. If I run (slowly, can't medium or fast as then get massive pain) I get the main pain behind the knee rather than outside the knee but it seems to go away once I finish exercising.

Nope no swelling. Nah doesn't lock its not a huge tear as I had a tear in the same meniscus about 6 or 7 years ago and it was way worse then - massive pain walking up and down stairs, getting into and out of car, struggling to drive because knee would lock etc. Now generally day to day it's fine, other than walking fast or running. If I run (slowly, can't medium or fast as then get massive pain) I get the main pain behind the knee rather than outside the knee but it seems to go away once I finish exercising.

Hmmm dunno, sorry.
The last line makes me think something like hamstring tendonopathy but it’s a bit of a stab in the dark.

Potentially.
Doing that stretch will create compression on the posterior SIJ.
It’s not a movement that’s likely to cause an issue, but will be provocative if there is already inflammation there.

I went to my Osteo and she is certain it was caused by my normal back problem (transitional S1 vertebrae) just radiating in a different spot. It feels better today but I'll take it easy this week still and try and progressively load up again next week on the weights.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back