Moved Thread Hawthorn "sucking Tasmania dry" ... calls for them to GTFO

Remove this Banner Ad

What time does your comedy duo show start gents and should I try the buffet?

The building of multiple new courts costs money

View attachment 450910
When did people start charging for building courts? Have i ****ed up with having a tennis court put in my backyard under the illusion it was free?

What time does your comedy duo show start gents and should I try the buffet?

the building of new change rooms for visiting opposition for JLT and the VFL as there are only north home change rooms

View attachment 450910

So...Like any other community football oval? Like the one down the road from me?

Originally it was negotiated for North to move here ........

Come again? Do you have anything at all that backs this up?

Do not be righteous when you are doing very well out playing here

There's nothing "righteous" about it. The poeple that run the show in Tassie think it's good business to deal with North and Hawthorn. If they didn't neither club would be there.

Now is the time for a team to be established and yes (read todays Mercury) it will be good for tourists from other states to come here and watch their team play a Tasmanian team, always welcome.

What separates "now" from any other past point in time?

No malice from me but you were lecturing me on my own state from a place of ignorance

...and I acknowledged and thanked you for the correction.

Come again? Do you have anything at all that backs this up?

There's nothing "righteous" about it. The poeple that run the show in Tassie think it's good business to deal with North and Hawthorn. If they didn't neither club would be there.

What separates "now" from any other past point in time?

...and I acknowledged and thanked you for the correction.

The first point comes from a position of knowledge from the time of the negotiations. Time to move on I disagree on the merits of the others but that is fine.

There is not a lot of difference now the argument for a team here has been strong for a long time. AFL has been happy for Tas to prop up other teams

I'm out

The first point comes from a position of knowledge from the time of the negotiations. Time to move on I disagree on the merits of the others but that is fine.

Okay, folks in Tassie may have wished that so, but it's a lot different matter pulling it off over here.

Basically impossible.

There is not a lot of difference now the argument for a team here has been strong for a long time.

Okay, nothing has changed.

AFL has been happy for Tas to prop up other teams.

The AFL exists to service it's member clubs, two of which are Hawthorn and North Melbourne.

This is not about the AFL independently granting it's imprimatur on Tasmania.

If the clubs involved did not drive these negotiations then there would simply be no AFL currently played in Tasmania.

Hence why I said force. The AFL could easily achieve this by revoking North Melbourne of their AFL license. If North Melbourne doesn't want to move to greener pastures, give that opportunity to a new club.

What part of "it can't be done" don't you understand?

North would take the AFL to court under such bizarre and outlandish circumstances. AND WIN!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wasn't a problem for other footy expansion states WA & SA to embrace their new AFL team, so history doesn't support your hypothesis!

In WA & SA it didn't matter if a significant proportion stayed with their VFL/SANFL/WAFL team, because the market was big enough that if they 'only' got 50% on side, that was more than enough.

With Tas, they NEED close to 100%, immediately, or they just don't have a big enough market to support a club and Tasmanians have been following Vic football for a lot longer that people in WA & SA ever did.

Imo it will happen eventually.

A Tassie team is more viable than a 10th Victorian team...

It's interesting to look at each clubs AFL distributions over the last decade & the significant variation!

You might want to check your numbers there. The optimistic estimates for a Tas club have it with about the same revenue as the smaller Vic clubs which doesn't really stack up for the AFL when you consider that booting an existing club will mean a significant portion of their fans will walk away from the game (estimates of Fitzroy were that around 1 in 3 abandoned the game entirely). Vic clubs also contribute a lot more to the AFL's bottom line than a Tas club ever would (TV, AFL members, Docklands...).

Not in our lifetimes it won't, unless North move there.
Average 2016 AFL distribution per state
- WA $11.1m (freo $10.6m, wce $11.7m)
- SA $11.9m (ade $10.6m, port $13.2m)
- Vic $12.3m (Gee $10.8m, North $15m)
- NSW $17m (Syd $12.5m & gws $21.5m)
- QLD $17.3m (Bris $17.5m, gc $17.2m)

The expansion states NSW & Queensland, the AFL are investing in to expand their market share.

There is a big gap in the revenue being distributed between the stronger & weaker Victorian clubs, so the question is whether a Tassie team would be more viable in the lounge term than the 10th Victorian team, as well as further expanding a national competition.

North would take the AFL to court under such bizarre and outlandish circumstances. AND WIN!
How could the AFL not do that? It's a private enterprise. The VFL do it willy nilly now and rightfully so. Teams who are just a general waste of time and money should either take steps out of that position or surrender their AFL license.

I'm Western Australian - want my gst to not be spent on Hawks and North,

Tell me were you also whining about the feds redirecting money before the mining boom when WA was on the receiving end and NSW/Vic were paying for the infrastructure that made the mining boom possible?

You're welcome to start paying us back whenever you like...(unlike you, we've NEVER been on the plus side of that redistribution).

AFL could simply stop giving North all the extra cash they get to keep them afloat. They'd be in the shitter in no time. It' obvious that they don't have the appetite to do it unfortunately because it would have been done already.

Average 2016 AFL distribution per state
- WA $11.1m (freo $10.6m, wce $11.7m)
- SA $11.9m (ade $10.6m, port $13.2m)
- Vic $12.3m (Gee $10.8m, North $15m)
- NSW $17m (Syd $12.5m & gws $21.5m)
- QLD $17.3m (Bris $17.5m, gc $17.2m)

The expansion states NSW & Queensland, the AFL are investing in to expand their market share.

There is a big gap in the revenue being distributed between the stronger & weaker Victorian clubs, so the question is whether a Tassie team would be more viable in the lounge term than the 10th Victorian team, as well as further expanding a national competition.

Did you factor in that the Vic clubs were buying the AFL a billion dollar stadium at the time?
Or that that distribution included money forwarded to clubs from things like AFL memberships (which inevitably mean the Vic clubs get more...even after the AFL takes it's slice of that revenue).

How could the AFL not do that?

AFL could simply stop giving North all the extra cash they get to keep them afloat. They'd be in the shitter in no time. It' obvious that they don't have the appetite to do it unfortunately because it would have been done already.

If that's the case why didn't they do it when they showed a much greater desire to create a club on the Gold Coast?

You're engaging in pure fantasy. The world doesn't work like that.

Wow a thread on AFL Tas team full of Hawthorn supporters telling the state how lucky we are for Hawthorn to be there - surprise surprise

Followed by the usual Tasmanians who want the AFL to throw in $15mil+ a year so they can have a part-time second team to watch now and then.

In WA & SA it didn't matter if a significant proportion stayed with their VFL/SANFL/WAFL team, because the market was big enough that if they 'only' got 50% on side, that was more than enough.

With Tas, they NEED close to 100%, immediately, or they just don't have a big enough market to support a club and Tasmanians have been following Vic football for a lot longer that people in WA & SA ever did.

In both WA & SA, most football supporters following the wafl & sanfl now watch afl, so nothing to suggest would be similar for Tassie, which is a football state. The don't need 100%!

You might want to check your numbers there. The optimistic estimates for a Tas club have it with about the same revenue as the smaller Vic clubs which doesn't really stack up for the AFL when you consider that booting an existing club will mean a significant portion of their fans will walk away from the game (estimates of Fitzroy were that around 1 in 3 abandoned the game entirely). Vic clubs also contribute a lot more to the AFL's bottom line than a Tas club ever would (TV, AFL members, Docklands...).
Tasmania is about 10% the population of Victorian, so no reason they couldn't get average support of a Victorian team, which would be better than the lower drawing teams.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back