Rumour GFC 2018 Player Trading, Drafting, FA, Rumours, and Wish lists - PT3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why? I doubt that he is on anything substantial dollars wise. He is good depth at least, in the same way that prismall was ten years ago. It’s important to have cheap, reliable second tier guys who can step in if you are having a genuine crack at a flag, which I think this side is at least aspiring towards.

A 3 year deal for a second tier player is just stupid IMO
He might be on good money but we don’t know, like I’ve said previous I don’t mind resigning him but a 3 year deal for good depth isn’t a good enough excuse for me.
Considering he wouldn’t have been in our best 25 for 3 years now
I could even argue he’s not in our best 30 players for the upcoming season nor the one just gone

A 3 year deal for a second tier player is just stupid IMO
He might be on good money but we don’t know, like I’ve said previous I don’t mind resigning him but a 3 year deal for good depth isn’t a good enough excuse for me.
Considering he wouldn’t have been in our best 25 for 3 years now
I could even argue he’s not in our best 30 players for the upcoming season nor the one just gone

He (GHS) played some good footy in 2014/15 - not PFD good but was in the highlights for some games. Then he got hurt, got dropped like after the Pies game where 21 of the 22 stunk and never got back in.

Im not saying he's worth the $$ paid, but he did have some good games and has had some rough bounces of the ball so to speak since then. There is more value in him than is being metered out here - but he also has not shown it and might have been surpassed now.

GO Catters

They only gave him 3 years because they knew they were going to turn the list over with no draft picks during that period. No point delisting him and taking picks in the 80s and 90s to replace him and getting stuck with more Hayballs. GHS is at least a bit better than that and potentially could have kicked on to be a decent role player (at least when the deal was signed) and from all reports is a model pro so I don't have an issue that they gave him 3 years when they did. You also have to factor in that the extra year would have smoothed the salary cap as well i.e instead of $400k over two year, GHS would have taken the extra security of $500k over 3 years for example, so $167k per year in the cap instead of $200k per year.

They only gave him 3 years because they knew they were going to turn the list over with no draft picks during that period. No point delisting him and taking picks in the 80s and 90s to replace him and getting stuck with more Hayballs. GHS is at least a bit better than that and potentially could have kicked on to be a decent role player (at least when the deal was signed) and from all reports is a model pro so I don't have an issue that they gave him 3 years when they did. You also have to factor in that the extra year would have smoothed the salary cap as well i.e instead of $400k over two year, GHS would have taken the extra security of $500k over 3 years for example, so $167k per year in the cap instead of $200k per year.
He is on a tad more than that

My issue wasn’t giving him a contract it’s the length given at the time.
1, 2 years tops but not 3 years

Years only matter if there was a better option for that list spot during that time. I still think Horlo is the better option across the duration of his contract, ergo a three year deal was reasonable. No point making arbitrary rules in what you do/don't offer different types of players, that's just not a good way to do business.

Something I genuinely didn’t consider when talking about the 3 years
Yes I agree he’s better than most others and good for depth but I just found it strange we were giving him 3 years at the time when he wasn’t in our best 22 at that time.
But I will agree if it’s for the above reason

Yes I agree he’s better than most others and good for depth but I just found it strange we were giving him 3 years at the time when he wasn’t in our best 22 at that time.
and think also then we didnt have PFD, Scooter, Menegola as mids - and he can play that role. There was arguable logic and sense to it.

GO Catters

Yeah I was going to say look at haminjas reply, he said it better than I would have. Through necessity we have taken more than enough players at the bottom end of the draft over the last few years. I guess what that means now is that we will be moving those guys off the list over the next few years for players taken with higher draft picks or a combination of more imports and more late pick players. Whether george survives this next period of list development depends a lot on what happens this year, but I suppose someone like a hayball would still have his neck on the chopping block before George.

Bailey Scott made the AFL Academy... He is looking the best of the Father/Sons for 2018.

Sam Walsh and Ed McHenry made it from the Falcons. I'm hearing Walsh should be a Top 5 draft pick, but little McHenry has posted the fastest 2km time in Falcons history; @ 176cm, he averaged 18 possessions at TAC as a bottom ager, also made Vic Country. Someone also to keep an eye on, although I think we have enough players sub-180cm on the list...

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-10-11/afl-academy-squad-released

Will we have a first round pick next year or did we burn it?
It is supposed to be a good draft next year.
Turbocat
We have our rd 1 pick this year. We gained a 4th too I think in the Lang trade.

Go Catters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have our rd 1 pick this year. We gained a 4th too I think in the Lang trade.

Go Catters
Lost a 2nd though in the Ablett trade iirc.
If it's meant to be as deep as they suggest then we may roux not having that pick.

Will we have a first round pick next year or did we burn it?
It is supposed to be a good draft next year.
We shipped out our 2nd and 4th round picks in next years draft, gaining Richmonds 3rd as well as two 4th round picks from Gold Coast and Carlton (which will probably still be picks under 40 I'm a chump that's third rounders - they'll be like 55-60ish).

So next year looks like: 1st, 2x3rd Rd (ours, Richmonds), 2x4th Rd (Carlton, GC) then 5th Rd onwards if we get there are just the regular picks.

Last edited:
We shipped out our 2nd and 4th round picks in next years draft, gaining Richmonds 3rd as well as two 4th round picks from Gold Coast and Carlton (which will probably still be picks under 40).

So next year looks like: 1st, 2x3rd Rd (ours, Richmonds), 2x4th Rd (Carlton, GC) then 5th Rd onwards if we get there are just the regular picks.

The accumulation of lower picks as I understand it is to accommodate the potential F/S options this year, whilst still keeping the high picks for aforementioned talent in draft. The hope would be the the F/S dont garner interest, leaving the high pick for talent X and the lower picks to counter bids against FS if they indeed come on.

From the little ive seen so far, Bailey Scott has had the most press with Brownless next. Hocking and Mensch a distant 3 and 4th. Its also REALLY early in the year.

Go Catters

The accumulation of lower picks as I understand it is to accommodate the potential F/S options this year, whilst still keeping the high picks for aforementioned talent in draft. The hope would be the the F/S dont garner interest, leaving the high pick for talent X and the lower picks to counter bids against FS if they indeed come on.

From the little ive seen so far, Bailey Scott has had the most press with Brownless next. Hocking and Mensch a distant 3 and 4th. Its also REALLY early in the year.

Go Catters

Bailey Scott is no guarantee to pick us though, seeing as he's eligible for three clubs.

We did also bring in more picks than we sent out, maybe we just see depth in this draft through the fourth round? Although some might riot to see another group of lowish picks on the list.

Bailey Scott is no guarantee to pick us though, seeing as he's eligible for three clubs.

We did also bring in more picks than we sent out, maybe we just see depth in this draft through the fourth round? Although some might riot to see another group of lowish picks on the list.

Id didnt say Scott was a certainly - just the one getting the most press - but yes he's open to 3 clubs.

GO Catters

Years only matter if there was a better option for that list spot during that time. I still think Horlo is the better option across the duration of his contract, ergo a three year deal was reasonable. No point making arbitrary rules in what you do/don't offer different types of players, that's just not a good way to do business.

Of course years matter. That is salary cap expenditure each year!! Also it is the most ridiculous comment ever to suggest that somehow there wasn't a better option that GHS. How does anyone know what the draft will produce even at later picks. One thing we absolutely know is that if you take a draft pick there will be money to spend elsewhere in F/A or to extend someone else more important on the list.

Of course years matter. That is salary cap expenditure each year!! Also it is the most ridiculous comment ever to suggest that somehow there wasn't a better option that GHS. How does anyone know what the draft will produce even at later picks. One thing we absolutely know is that if you take a draft pick there will be money to spend elsewhere in F/A or to extend someone else more important on the list.
Do you have any examples of what we actually lost out on by having Horlo on his deal? The hypothetical are meaningless.

Do you have any examples of what we actually lost out on by having Horlo on his deal? The hypothetical are meaningless.
Could have used the GHS salary to pay Motlop more ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back