Whateley leaves ABC for SEN

Remove this Banner Ad

What a load of bollocks. If you are embarrassed because you follow a s**t sport, just come to terms with it. Don’t make up a false narrative that is not even remotely close to the truth.
I have no interest in horse racing, except I suppose the Melbourne Cup each year but I couldn't even tell you which horse won last November.

Strangest thing is for someone who has an abiding love of horse-racing, Whateley rarely ventures into that turf - He speaks about the subject when it's relevant - It seems some don't want any sporting show to discuss talk about horse-racing full stop.

Last edited:
Horse racing is a sport, but like Greyhound racing it's a sport for animals, sure jockeys are courageous etc etc but generally the jockey with the fastest horse wins (unless i back it), so i don't really rate the jockey side of it as a sport, a bit like i don't get all gooey when some race car driver wins a race because he had the fastest car, the car was the real hero not the driver, give the *er a 1973 cortina and see how he goes, same with horses and jockeys, fast horses make jockeys, jockeys don't make fast horses.

Horse racing is a sport, but like Greyhound racing it's a sport for animals, sure jockeys are courageous etc etc but generally the jockey with the fastest horse wins (unless i back it), so i don't really rate the jockey side of it as a sport, a bit like i don't get all gooey when some race car driver wins a race because he had the fastest car, the car was the real hero not the driver, give the ****** a 1973 cortina and see how he goes, same with horses and jockeys, fast horses make jockeys, jockeys don't make fast horses.

I think u sum up the thoughts of a lot of people.

Darts?

In the Herald Sun, they've stated that Gerard Whateley offered to call the final Ashes test for free after he announced his departure from ABC to SEN. ABC declined informing him that goodbye messages would not be done on the airwaves.

I do believe Gerard would have done a decent job if he called the test for free for the ABC. That said, i think they're justified in not giving Gerard a farewell broadcast. Better off giving somebody hanging around post this series an opportunity even if they might not be of Gerard's quality. FWIW, i don't rate Alistair Nicholson as highly as i do Gerard Whateley.

Alistair nicholson is alright but he needs some help. I reckon someone like a tony leonard would be good for abc as there number one football caller and big al to take on the rest. ABC grandstand will have a few tricks up there sleave

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does Gerard Whateley going from the ABC to SEN bring back memories of the late Harry Beitzel moving to 3AK from 3AW, where he'd be calling the football (and occasionally the cricket during the mid 1980s) since 1972 alongside Bill Jacobs?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No doubt it was the wbbl. It annoys me when I hear someone give AFL the credit for kick-starting women's Sport into the mainstream.

Because they were talking about the recent (last 18 months) viewership and sponsorship boom in/towards women's sport.

He was suggesting the Michelle Payne ride was the moment that started the domino effect. It wasn't.

Some may argue the Matildas, but the moment IMHO was the creation of WBBL. That league, giving women decent pay, plus live TV coverage that was so popular it sure the coverage go from Ten's secondary channel (One) to their main channel (Ten) forced action from all other sporting codes.

It made the AFL bring it's national women's comp forward from 2020 to 2017; it meant a pay-rise for W-League players; and now the creation of women's competitions for both Rugby codes.

Michelle Payne did not lead the recent revolution. Great she won, but she was not the first ever female jockey, and most everyone forgot about by the time the first Christmas party of the year rolled around about a week later. WBBL I think, being in season 3 now probably led the way, and timed in perfectly to ride the wave of popularity of BBL and start to arrange double headers and secure commercial support. Knowing that women's basketball and netball have been strong forever and remain so, you would have to then say the other game changer was the Women's Rugby 7 Olympic Gold medal. Rugby threw a ton of money at it to secure the best talent from multiple other sports with the lure of $$$ and a gold medal. Worked a treat.....got a national platform, was close to our first gold medal at those games so had a ton of media exposure and spotlight with a great back story. Forced the hand of AFLW and set a new benchmark for professionalism and pay in the sport.

The sudden growth of women's sport in Australia happened so quickly, I don't think it's possible to put it down to one thing - so I think you're all kind of right.

- The creation of the WBBL happened in 2015, immediately increasing the professionalism of the competition.

- Payne won the Melbourne Cup in 2015 - say what you want about horse racing (after being a fan previously, I've personally come to loathe it), that was a perfect storm given Payne's story marrying up with the Prince of Penzance story.

- Even the first UFC pay-per-view in Melbourne was a big deal, with Ronda Rousey taking over Melbourne for a week, and an event headlined by 2 womens title fights attracting around 55k people, setting a UFC attendance record.

- The Rugby 7s gold medal in 2016 was undoubtedly a major moment.

- But you can't mention the rugby gold medal without also mentioning the Matildas, because I thought the Matildas were a bigger story than the 7s team. That quarter final against Brazil was one of those perfect storms - it was on a Saturday morning here on FTA when people aren't otherwise doing much and, from memory, the weather was s**t that day too. Which left people in their lounge rooms, on social media, hearing about and then watching a lion-hearted performance against a host country that Australians understand to be a giant in football.

- The Australian Netball League was created in 2016, getting a pretty good tv deal and immediately increasing the level of professionalism for netballers.

- Then the AFLW commenced in 2017, which was another watershed because it's pressured other sports to further increase professionalism. (Although it clearly didn't invent womens sport at the AFL and the Melbourne media would have people believe!)

Let’s not forget that the WNBL has been around since 1980 as well. It has suffered from the fact that basketball isn’t as highly regarded in business circles in Australia but it has been the shining light for a long time along with netball before others jumped on.

Let’s not forget that the WNBL has been around since 1980 as well. It has suffered from the fact that basketball isn’t as highly regarded in business circles in Australia but it has been the shining light for a long time along with netball before others jumped on.

I reckon the WNBL proof that, like most of the sports list above, womens sport still lives and dies with a mainstream talent to market the sport around in Australia. The support around womens sport just hasn't been around long enough to endure in periods without that superstar.

I've never been much of a basketball fan, but I seem to remember it got a much better run in mainstream media when Lauren Jackson was playing here and when she was at her best. (She still would've been a bigger deal if she'd played in Sydney or Melbourne, such is the immaturity of media and casual sports fans when it comes to womens sport.)

The same can be said with the Matildas/Sam Kerr, UFC/Ronda Rousey, horse racing/Michelle Payne, and AFLW/Daisy Pearce - although admittedly the AFLW is already less reliant on a Pearce (and to a lesser extent Moanna Hope) than it was a year ago, just as the WBBL is becoming less reliant on Elysse Perry and Meg Lanning than it was 1-2 years ago.

In real sports the players aren't murdered on the field when they get injured or unprofitable. They also don't get fed a bunch of crap before the game because the owner has bet on someone else. It's a deadly, ******* joke. Take away gambling and the house of cards would fall over.

Were not the Essendon players given an unknown substance so as to improve their performance over 2 years? To this day many are can only guess what was given to them, and what effect it would have on them and their kids. Worst example of uncontrolled and reckless abuse of drug abuse that has ever been seen. How many Russians, Germans, Americans, Australian Olympic athletes have died and continue to take drugs? Then we have the so called sports of cycling and weightlifting which are drug riddled and irrelevant as sports. You say take away gambling and the sport would crumble....well yes you are correct, but Aussies love a punt and will always have a bet. Take away the media money from sports, and let's see how AFL, Soccer, basketball cricket would last.

Does Gerard Whateley going from the ABC to SEN bring back memories of the late Harry Beitzel moving to 3AK from 3AW, where he'd be calling the football (and occasionally the cricket during the mid 1980s) since 1972 alongside Bill Jacobs?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Beitzel and Jacobs as bad a commentary duo you could get.
Dreadful.

Though Bill Jacobs made it even worse, he'd drag down the best to being mediocre. And netizen wasn't the best.
Jacobs might be the most dreadful creature that ever got work in a commentating box.
Vile. Made my skin crawl he was that bad.

Not a nice person either.

Horse racing is a sport, but like Greyhound racing it's a sport for animals, sure jockeys are courageous etc etc but generally the jockey with the fastest horse wins (unless i back it), so i don't really rate the jockey side of it as a sport, a bit like i don't get all gooey when some race car driver wins a race because he had the fastest car, the car was the real hero not the driver, give the ****** a 1973 cortina and see how he goes, same with horses and jockeys, fast horses make jockeys, jockeys don't make fast horses.
Malcolm Johnston on Kingstown Town, Melbourne Cup.
Raymond Shane Dye on Veandercross, Caulfield Cup.

If you are unfamiliar with those examples then you are unfamiliar with just how a jockey who has the fastest horse in the race had a significant career win taken off them through the fault of the jockey.

Conversely;
Raymond Shane Dye on Octagonal, Chipping Norton Stakes.
Danny Beasley on Grand Armee, Queen Elizabeth Stakes.
Darren Beadman on Freemason, Mercedes Classic.
Are perfect examples of a jockey who's tactics in a race let their horse win - even though it was not in good form and there were faster horses in the race at that time.

Malcolm Johnston on Kingstown Town, Melbourne Cup.
Raymond Shane Dye on Veandercross, Caulfield Cup.

If you are unfamiliar with those examples then you are unfamiliar with just how a jockey who has the fastest horse in the race had a significant career win taken off them through the fault of the jockey.

Conversely;
Raymond Shane Dye on Octagonal, Chipping Norton Stakes.
Danny Beasley on Grand Armee, Queen Elizabeth Stakes.
Darren Beadman on Freemason, Mercedes Classic.
Are perfect examples of a jockey who's tactics in a race let their horse win - even though it was not in good form and there were faster horses in the race at that time.
Agree
Very valid points.
Jockeys judgment certainly can be a deal breaker in a race

Remove this Banner Ad

Back